warmoth orange competition mustang project

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Live unboxing in the Saturday chat?!?!?
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

i will be ON A BOAT fishing during the zoom, so yall will have to settle for some before/after photos. 8)
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

California is in the desert. Don't sail in the desert, there's no fish and you'll scratch the boat
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

robroe wrote:California is in the desert. Don't sail in the desert, there's no fish and you'll scratch the boat
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

dots wrote:i will be…

[youtube][/youtube]

…fishing during the zoom, so yall will have to settle for some before/after photos. 8)
► Show Spoiler
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

plopswagon wrote:
robroe wrote:California is in the desert. Don't sail in the desert, there's no fish and you'll scratch the boat
not to worry. we will be robbing blind the bounty of the pacific ocean.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

[youtube][/youtube]
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

plopswagon wrote:
robreiner wrote:California is in the desert. Don't sail in the desert, there's no fish and you'll scratch the boat
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

some work to do tonight...
► Show Spoiler
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Awesome! That looks great! Look forward to seeing it assembled.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Happy Birthday dot!
► Show Spoiler
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

afterglow of unboxing now faded, a few mostly minor issues to take care of for assembly:
  • pre-drilled holes in the headstock aren't wide enough for the tuner bushings by about 1/16"
  • pre-drilled holes for the bridge post cups are also too small. i know they're supposed to be snug and tapped in, but this is not that.
  • i did a great job of purposing old parts and buying new parts to complete it including a neck plate for an ill-fated bronco project. only problem is i have no neck screws. to Lowe's i go.
  • will have to measure for the placement of the string tree. i have a couple already.
and since i can't stop imagining...
► Show Spoiler
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Nifty! Non-angled pickups though? Still dig it tho.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Yeah, fired off an email to warmoth about that and the hole sizes when I noticed that as well. Hoping they can trade me for a correctly cut one since there was no option to specify angled. its clearly for a mustang since they list it as a mustang guard... which have angled pickups.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

You should fight them.

What flavor pickups are you using (you’ve probably listed them but I’m too lazy to look it up, besides, you know, conversation)
► Show Spoiler
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

dots wrote:GFS Single Slick "56" Flat Pole alnicos. They're supposed to give that mid-50s, crisp yet punchy sondz.
and i think i did miss selecting the angle on the pickups when i ordered, dag nabbit. i'll see if they'll exchange and then wait another 3 months.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

dots wrote:
dots wrote:GFS Single Slick "56" Flat Pole alnicos. They're supposed to give that mid-50s, crisp yet punchy sondz.
and i think i did miss selecting the angle on the pickups when i ordered, dag nabbit. i'll see if they'll exchange and then wait another 3 months.
TBH you should’ve still gotten a phone call. “You sure about this boss?�
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

i have to agree with you, nick.

pretty sure i can return it since i haven't done anything with the guard yet. i can either have them redo it or buy one on reverb for like $15. kinda leaning toward the latter more for the expedited process, but i'm concerned it may not line up with the hardware as well as this one does... but it shouldn't matter, right? there aren't any pilot holes for pickguard screws or the control plate, so it should work out?
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Before you buy the $15 guard, Warmoth always advertised their Mustang bodies as not being compatible with Fender pickguards

Not sure where the differences are but I think I remember it being more than just screw holes. Then again I’m 95% sure Rob used Warmoth guards on his Squier Bullet builds (Alstang and Padme) so YMMV
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Well, fooey. Hopefully they will accept an exchange.

And in reading the paperwork, I can't drill anything myself and maintain my warranty.

I'm pretty sure the bridge cups can be gently hammered in, so not worried there. The F tuners, tho, are just too big for the holes in the neck for that. Plus, since F tuners have the post roughly the same diameter as the bushing, the holes just need to widened. No getting around that.

I think the neck has to go back.