warmoth orange competition mustang project

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

dots
BADmin (he/him)

warmoth orange competition mustang project

Post by dots »

originally started in this thread as a re-fin/reimagining idea for getting my hands on at least an approximation of an orange comp stang (circa late 60s/70s era fenders), i was rightfully talked off that ledge and have ordered parts from various sellers to build one. all in, it appears it's going to run about $1,150 w/ an HSC which i believe would have been at least that had i imported one from japan. a fender pro shop order would have been about double that, and a vintage one would have been anywhere from 2.5 - 3x that. plus, i get to put this thing together. since i don't have the space or tools to properly cut or shoot here, it's basically a prefinished kit to be assembled.

PARTS ORDERED | STATUS:

Code: Select all

Body (Warmoth)           | Delivered
Neck  (Warmoth)          | Delivered
Pickguard (Warmoth)      | Delivered
Bridge (Warmoth)         | Delivered
Pickups (GFS)            | Delivered
Control Plate (Reverb)   | Delivered
Knobs (Reverb)           | Delivered
Input jack (Reverb)      | Delivered
Wiring/Switches          | Delivered
Pickup Covers            | Delivered
Strap (Amazon)           | Delivered
Strap locks (Amazon)     | Delivered
Hard shell case (Amazon) | Delivered
Decal (Luthier Decals)   | Delivered
F tuners (Reverb)        | Delivered
i have strings lol
Last edited by dots on Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:59 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Cannae wait to see this!!
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

gah! forgot to order F tuners. sorted.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

looking forward

if i can be of help on bridges or vibrato setup...nevermind, you know the deal, Dots.

Where are you sourcing the vibrato and bridge ?

Mustang power !
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

of course! this will be my first place to go with any issues in setup, and i am so lucky there are folks like yourself who are experts on dialing in mustang hardware and willing to help out relative n00bs like myself.

i got a mustang bridge from warmoth with the thinking there being they'll route it more precisely with hardware they sell.

this is going to be a long couple of months waiting especially as all the other parts arrive!
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

If it's still possible I'd change the toan wood to the alder toan wood just from the practical point of view. Basswood toan wood apart from being prone to toan dents of the toan finish is very poor at holding toan screws of the toan strap buttons, toan pickguard etc. Toan alder is mechanically sturdier than toan basswood and will be better for a Mustang body imo. At the same time there's nothing wrong with basswood, VM Mustangs and CV Duo Sonic have baswood bodies
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

All about the ph@t toanzzzzz!

Got most of the stuff in.
► Show Spoiler
Didn't realize until I opened the box before taking the photo that the wiring was already done on the switches/pots, thought I was just getting a kit. Oh well, still have to solder the pickups and ground to the bridge.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

What kinda pups are you using?
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

GFS Single Slick "56" Flat Pole alnicos. They're supposed to give that mid-50s, crisp yet punchy sondz.
finboy

Post by finboy »

Weird fact, white knob f tuners can only be bought 1 at a time in Canada, and long and Mcquade (our GC) couldn’t get the, last time I tried. Apparently fender doesn’t like selling them here.

Dots, if you want a hardtail plate let me know, I have a spare kicking around

Like this:
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

nice! i'm actually trying to be as faithful to the original build and aesthetic as can be for this one.

and yeah, i couldn't find the F tuners on sale other than in sets of 1 either. kinda weird.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Got the waterslide decals in, and I suddenly realized, not having used them before other than building model airplanes as a kid, I have no idea how best to apply them to a finished headstock. I've looked it up, and from what I've read, lightly sanding the area for application and then applying clear coat after the decals dry is what's called for. Anything else I'm missing or other advice?
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

dots wrote:Got the waterslide decals in, and I suddenly realized, not having used them before other than building model airplanes as a kid, I have no idea how best to apply them to a finished headstock. I've looked it up, and from what I've read, lightly sanding the area for application and then applying clear coat after the decals dry is what's called for. Anything else I'm missing or other advice?
I've never done that.

apply straight on headstock without sanding. let dry. done.

you have to spray a couple of layers of clear on the decal before applying to headstock. but some decal companies do that for you.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

That sounds easier, thanks!
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

If you need to do the sealing coats first if it helps I do 3 light coats - 15 mins apart on pedal decals

Let the decal dry overnight before you clearcoat over it after application

Kitchen roll works well at dabbing excess water during application
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

So three coats on the decal lre application and another after it dries?
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

the good news is the body and neck are in production and headed for the paint department. the bad news is i checked with my sales guy who said it's probably another 6 - 7 weeks before i get a shipping notice. :cry:

EDIT: that least should indicate they're going to allow the proper amount of time to cure, i suppose. better they do a good job than a quick one.
NickS

Post by NickS »

dots wrote:that least should indicate they're going to allow the proper amount of time to cure, i suppose. better they do a good job than a quick one.
((thumup)
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

latest update is warmoth updated their site (finally!) which looks great and functions a whole lot better.

the down side is the customer logins mostly don't work anymore, including mine. so i emailed them about status since we are now in july. they said they're just waiting on the neck to come back from the paint department before sending the whole thing over to quality control for inspection. as long as it passes muster there, i should be getting a shipment notification in about a week. AM EXCITE
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

shipping noticed received. i should have it all in-hand by the weekend. **happy**