warmoth orange competition mustang project

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Okay, I see what I did thar. I ordered "vintage" 70s f tuner reissues and ordered the neck bored for "vintage" tuners. Apparently "vintage" size is in the eye of the beholder. 13/32", as it turns out, doesn't fit in an 11/32" bore, but that is exactly the situation.

Gonna get gotoh true custom mustang reissues and call it a day. Eff some Fs.

Pickguard still needs to be sorted out.
NickS

Post by NickS »

dots wrote:Okay, I see what I did thar. I ordered "vintage" 70s f tuner reissues and ordered the neck bored for "vintage" tuners. Apparently "vintage" size is in the eye of the beholder. 13/32", as it turns out, doesn't fit in an 11/32" bore, but that is exactly the situation.

Gonna get gotoh true custom mustang reissues and call it a day. Eff some Fs.

Pickguard still needs to be sorted out.
:(
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

That looks brilliant.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Oof that sucks. Sometimes those little snafus are the “fun� way to learn this stuff about vintage/reissue inch/metric OEM/aftermarket peculiarities... obviously not on the type of build where it jeopardizes your pricey Warmoth order though.

Worst prob I’ve had with them is not getting the right holes countersunk on a Strat guard (why do they call the standard way SRV, makes it sound like they’re gonna pour acetone on it or something).

The Mustang is coming along too sexy for its shirt, at least.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Looks like a sweet popsicle! You're propbably not the first customer who didn't pay attention that you need to chose the angled option and got their "standard" pickguard. I agree with Nick, they should've asked you "Are you sure?"
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

yeah, and in the end, if a pickguard snag is the worst that comes of it, i ain't mad (bro). serves me right for (mistakenly) buying a prewired harness and thinking this project was going to be a breeze to assemble. now i actually have to do work and am ok with that completely! =]

i'm half tempted to keep the guard to try it out and just order an angled one, but it seems kinda wasteful. i'm sure there's someone out there who would want it for their own project.

so this weekend, i think the most i can do is tap in the bushels for the bridge.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

This is such a small thing that I probably shouldn’t even bring up, but the headstock is painted all the way to the nut, which isn’t typical of the vintage fenders.

I’m probably revealing my suppressed jealousy by desperately looking for flaws. I recall my sisters doing the same concerning a deluxe Barbie.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

ah, so it is, hadn't caught that. in the end, there will be plenty of details like that and the non-fender-stamped vibrato that will distinguish it to discerning eyes. i'm not even bothered by not using the F tuners as my recollection is the lp blue comp stang i had in the early 00s had vintage machines, too, only without white pegs. same ones as on my avri jag as a matter of fact.

what floors me is i still cannot find any of the japanese comp reissues from that era anywhere for sale. they pop up on random sites and get snatched up almost instantly.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Moving ahead. Was super nervous putting on the decal and banging in the bridge bushels (more so for the latter, obvs), but came out fine aside from a very small paint chippage around the right one that will be discreetly hidden by the bridge itself. Decals are still drying.
► Show Spoiler
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Copper taped the pickup and control routes.
► Show Spoiler
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Make sure you do the trem cavity too!
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Dang it. Ran out after I shielded the neck pocket. :wink:
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I usually just shield my fingers.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
NickS

Post by NickS »

dots wrote:Dang it. Ran out after I shielded the neck pocket. :wink:
:lol:
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Went about as far today as it made sense to go. Predrilled and mounted the trem, string tree, and strap buttons. Thought about the control plate which would even let me do some wiring, but without the final pickguard to ensure a match before drilling, decided to hold off.

It is still missing some key hardware, but so far this thing super light.
► Show Spoiler
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

So gorgeous! Love it Jason.

Happy birthday mate
NickS

Post by NickS »

plopswagon wrote:I’m probably revealing my suppressed jealousy by desperately looking for flaws. I recall my sisters doing the same concerning a deluxe Barbie.
Did they succeed in making you dissatisfied with your deluxe Barbie?
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Thus setting up a stressful and complex relationship with busty plastic ladies well into adulthood.
► Show Spoiler
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

dots wrote:
dots wrote:GFS Single Slick "56" Flat Pole alnicos. They're supposed to give that mid-50s, crisp yet punchy sondz.
and i think i did miss selecting the angle on the pickups when i ordered, dag nabbit. i'll see if they'll exchange and then wait another 3 months.
I'd keep this first guard and route it for 'buckers or something (seeing as you've got space in the body routes), so you've got a few outfits for the orange fella*

* not that one
*drumph*
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Doog wrote:
dots wrote:
dots wrote:GFS Single Slick "56" Flat Pole alnicos. They're supposed to give that mid-50s, crisp yet punchy sondz.
and i think i did miss selecting the angle on the pickups when i ordered, dag nabbit. i'll see if they'll exchange and then wait another 3 months.
I'd keep this first guard and route it for 'buckers or something (seeing as you've got space in the body routes), so you've got a few outfits for the orange fella*

* not that one
*drumph*
hadn't thought of that... even considered getting wild and maybe cutting it for angled humbuckers since the routes in the body are quite spacious. i'll mull that all over while i wait for a reply to whether i can return it or not.