Making a Volca stand

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

ekwatts
A series of tubes

Making a Volca stand

Post by ekwatts »

We had a freestanding set of drawers in the kitchen that collapsed under the weight of the world and a microwave the other week, and while it was mostly non-standard argos chipboard (because it was from argos), the top was a fairly decent piece of actual wood (well, glued strips, but still).

So after chucking the whole thing out into the yard to get rained on for a few days, I decided to do something with it.

I had to cut it out using a handheld circular saw so it's rough as tits but I've done a decent enough job with the orbital sander that it should matter too much. Getting the original varnish off was probably the hardest bit. I'm just waiting for a pot of wood stain to come in the post and then I'll be able to put it all together.

Brandon W wrote:you elites.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Nice one.

I bought stand/ears like that for 3 Roland boutique modules but then only ended up buying 2 so it always felt a bit weird. I have a beatstep just sort of sitting on the bottom for looks but the whole setup is GRATUITOUS. It was actually seeing someone’s Volca setup that made me want it rigged up like that, though.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Just need to sand the middle two shelves down to fit (they ended up too wide for some reason) but the construction is almost done.

ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

All done. Decided not to varnish in the end because I couldn't be arsed. Basically.

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Ooh, that looks great, much better than I was expecting. Somehow makes them all look a bit more proper too, and a bit less toy-like.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Bacchus wrote:Ooh, that looks great, much better than I was expecting. Somehow makes them all look a bit more proper too, and a bit less toy-like.
Haha, thanks.

I love the stain. I wasn't sure what it was going to look like but I love it. There are all kinds of rough edges but thankfully I've managed to hide them all away round the back.

As for the Volcas, this setup overall consists of a sampler/drum machine, two analog synths with three oscillators each and a 6 operator FM synth, effectively a shrunken down DX7, and smashing them all together in one rack kind of highlights how powerful they can be as sound modules. I think it's changed the way I view them myself, since they do feel like little toys on their own, but they're suddenly more than the sum of their parts once you get them all working together.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

That looks great, Eric. Good work.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Thanks for sending me down the modular synth rabbit hole.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.