CryBaby Wah surgery

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

NickS

CryBaby Wah surgery

Post by NickS »

I mentioned on the vPub Zoom call the other night about using a reversed original CryBaby with a Strat to get the oscillations that sound like seagull noises in Pink Floyd's "Echoes". I went to demonstrate it and found that my CryBaby didn't work.
Crybaby_pot_1.jpg
Crybaby_pot_1.jpg (296.51 KiB) Viewed 512 times
There seems to be a lot of grease around the pot. The pot appears to be open circuit, so time to open it up and find out what's going on. Drifting out the pin that fastens the pinion to the shaft was tricky.
Crybaby_pot_2.jpg
Crybaby_pot_2.jpg (372.15 KiB) Viewed 512 times
The grease seems to have softened the carbon track which has pretty much disappeared where the wiper pressed on it.
Crybaby_pot_4.jpg
Crybaby_pot_4.jpg (192.94 KiB) Viewed 512 times
..and one of the two wiper contacts has just broken off and disappeared!
Crybaby_pot_3.jpg
Crybaby_pot_3.jpg (133.08 KiB) Viewed 512 times
It looks as though I need to buy a replacement Dunlop pot..
Last edited by NickS on Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Curious. Wouldn't this be a known issue by now? There are a lot of Cry-Babies about, I'd have thought that grease finding its way onto the track would be a more regular occurence.

Weird how the wear appears to be on the bottom third of the sweep.

Could it have been a particularly abrasive bit of fluff finding its way into the pot?
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Bacchus wrote:Curious. Wouldn't this be a known issue by now? There are a lot of Cry-Babies about, I'd have thought that grease finding its way onto the track would be a more regular occurence.
I think it is, happened to my Vox and was starting to happen in the used Bass Crybaby I bought to nick a pot from.

The standard/most popular replacement is the Dunlop HotPotz II 100k.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324301126441

Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
NickS

Post by NickS »

paul_ wrote:
Bacchus wrote:Curious. Wouldn't this be a known issue by now? There are a lot of Cry-Babies about, I'd have thought that grease finding its way onto the track would be a more regular occurence.
I think it is, happened to my Vox and was starting to happen in the used Bass Crybaby I bought to nick a pot from.

The standard/most popular replacement is the Dunlop HotPotz II 100k.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324301126441

Thank you for the tip!
NickS

Post by NickS »

Hmm, pricey and/or out of stock. HotRox or Strings Direct seem to be cheaper for the Dunlop HotPotz in the UK. In the US if you don't want it to live forever http://www.tubesandmore.com/products/p ... t-pot-gear seems to be very reasonably priced.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

For shits and giggles I'd fire off another email to digitech.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
paul_

Post by paul_ »

:lol:
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Kudos to paul for posting UK Amazon and eBay links
euan
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

paul_ is a secret brit though. I imagine he uses a VPN to make his internet appear just like it would back in blighty.

We haven't ruled out the possibility of him being an estranged bastard royal.

Although he is funny.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Here, paul_, what's your sweat situation like? Do you sweat easily or are you incapable?
NickS

Post by NickS »

Best reviewed appears to be the Chase Tone Tru Talk TM wah pot. Of course, by the time duty and comedy tax are added it's going to be somewhat more than $20.
Also out of stock at mall Bear Electronics!
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Left UK before using the internet, actually didn't sweat much at all until I was about 29 and posted UK links totally on purpose for Nick because I know price varies wildly on little bits distributed by big gear companies if it has to cross the pond at all, let alone deal with comedy tax.

I did sleep with 2 minors when I was one too, but I think technically they were the predators because they were taller than me (enforcement of this probably varies by state; nobody seemed to believe me).
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

:lol:
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit