I bought a bass - NOW WITH VIDEO

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Will an aftermarket guard fit? I suppose this is never a known thing with any new guitar.

It looks like the top horn is a bit... pointier?... less.. gloopy? looking than regular J-basses. The lower horn does a fantastic job of doing the Jag-stang thing of being pointer than it's supposed to be.

In short, I think this is the guard for this guitar.

I look forward to the YouTube video about how to anodise a plastic guard...
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Knobs look great. Mint guard all the way if you can get i one that fits.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Bacchus wrote:Will an aftermarket guard fit? I suppose this is never a known thing with any new guitar.

It looks like the top horn is a bit... pointier?... less.. gloopy? looking than regular J-basses. The lower horn does a fantastic job of doing the Jag-stang thing of being pointer than it's supposed to be.

In short, I think this is the guard for this guitar.

I look forward to the YouTube video about how to anodise a plastic guard...
I've tried to join a sx Facebook group to ask this very question.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I reckon you won't get an answer, and if you do, it won't be reliable. Like, most replacement guards require work on Squiers and Fenders. Even those aren't consistent.

I suppose on this it's a matter of whether the replacement guard fits the look and shape, rather than the fitment. It will need fetterring to actually fit regardless.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Yeah used to a good fettle!

If someone with the smarts wants to overlay a Fender over this copy for me in photoshop that would be nice
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Re: I bought a bass

Post by dots »

when i look at them together, they look really similar other than maybe the edges of guard near the upper and lower bouts being slightly pointier as paul pointed out. i wonder if you could get a guard without the mounting holes drilled and if that would line up with the pickup, neck, and control plate properly.
► Show Spoiler
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Nice, you have the same bass as me now. I bought a "vintage white" one from Rondo about 10 years back and changed the white pickguard to tort because it was more yellow than I expected (the product image made the bass and pickguard look the same colour) and the chromedomes to Jazz knobs because it's a JB.

We also both have the same bass as Laura Lee from Khruangbin if that does anything for you.

The pickguard is not a standard shape around the control plate which is why mine is poorly re-shaped down there... as far as I can remember everything else lined up fine except the mounting holes, which I didn't care about... but there's so many different types of Jazz guards who knows, maybe some common import style fits this thing straight-up. I remember Rondo sold extra parts for these on the same webstore, but they were the cheapest thing in there because they just seemed like generic Chinese JB parts like you'd get from GFS or something.
I bought a nicer Fender guard because I didn't want naff Squiery tort, and I doubt any of the screwholes lined up (I certainly seem to have made two extra tugbar holes eyeballing where it went the second time). I knew it wouldn't fit because it was a US guard, though.

Favourite bass for sure, I'd rate mine up with a Squier CV. The frets on mine are great but I wouldn't be surprised if there's some iffy QC standards on these as they only cost $110 shipped brand new... really tightly grained dark fingerboard and flamey neck maple too, might've just lucked out in the draw. I've had the same set of flatwounds on it for 11 years, never changed any parts except the pickguard and knobs.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Now, (aged) white w/ tort is class.
NickD

Post by NickD »

Sure is purty

Is there a reason there are no pics with the headstock in though? Is it a rude shape?
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

NickD wrote:Is there a reason there are no pics with the headstock in though? Is it a rude shape?
I bet he's already put a Fender decal on there

totally modd
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

[youtube][/youtube]
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

^^^
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

So jealous of both basses posted, just because I remember how cheap these SX’s were, especially if they popped up used-and every one I played felt quality. The colors these were available in are all so classy to the point where I’d say they “get it� more than Fender/Squier ever will. In hindsight the headstock isn’t even that offensive.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I remember not wanting to buy a $100 SX because it was Chinese despite the fact that they had the best pickup combinations among the competitors at the time (like two soapbar P90 strats), colours and that the owners swore by how good they were. The fact that Rondo music was unwilling to send them outside the US didn't help either, though people still bought them somehow
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

They changed the headstock a few times after that one, all for the worse. I think Lakland sent them a cease and desist, though we all dismissively assumed it was Fender at the time. At first they just cut bits off it to make it arrow-shaped, then had another one closer to the original but with the tip sort of hooked over instead of rounded. They also had one that looked just like GFS’s Xavier shape.

I remember not liking the headstock when I got the bass but then deciding I was lucky to get the earlier, better one after they changed it. I don’t think they even brought the “60s� JB back after this change:

Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

I've had a Precision style bass but far prefer the Jazz
XY
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

plopswagon wrote:I've had a Jazz style bass but far prefer the Precision
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

plopswagon wrote:
plopswagon wrote:I've had a Jazz style bass but far prefer the Precision
The world would be boring if we all just had Jazz basses
XY
paul_

Post by paul_ »

dezb1 wrote:
plopswagon wrote:
plopswagon wrote:I've had a Jazzmaster but far prefer the Strat
The world would be boring if we all just had Jazzmasters
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

paul_ wrote:
dezb1 wrote:
plopswagon wrote:
The world would be boring if we all just had Jazzmasters
Which is why I also have a Stingray. ((hide))
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.