player duo & mustang pickups difference

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Bartonfinkerton

player duo & mustang pickups difference

Post by Bartonfinkerton »

Hi,
I wonder if anyone can tell me if there is any difference between the pickups on a player duo or mustang? Or is it other things that have an effect? pots, etc?
I was thinking of changing out the pickups, but maybe its better to sell the guitar and buy a vintera?
Any info gladly received.
I already did a search on the net but didn't find anything yet
Cheers
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

to me, when you rip the mustang vibrato off it, and rip the mustang switches off it, and replace it with duo-sonic parts like a hard tail bridge and a 3 way toggley its no longer a mustang.

Literally like the only difference between the two guitars at this point is one slanted pickup and the shape of the pickguard. which like you can do yourself for 30 bucks.

to answer your question. yes buy the vintera mustang that come with real mustang bits.
dots wrote:incesticide
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

orrrrrr. just buy the CV squier because its hands down a better guitar over all.

+

http://www.allparts.com/products/pc-04 ... 871a&_ss=r

7 DOLLA MAKE YOU HOLLA
Bartonfinkerton

I heard the mustang is brighter, according to a few reviews and the duo-sonic is more strat like
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Bartonfinkerton wrote:I heard the mustang is brighter, according to a few reviews and the duo-sonic is more strat like

this is what makes a mustang sound like a mustang, not pickups.
you can easily take "mustang pickups" out of any mustang, stick them in a strat and its going to sound like a strat.
if you take strat pickups out of a strat and put them in a mustang and its still gonna sound like a mustang.

the player mustang and player duo-sonic should sound identical out of the box.

and if they don't I guarantee you that I can get them to sound exactly the same faster than I can make regular mustang not sound like a mustang.

I just don't really see the point of either player guitar. by taking the mustang trem off it sure you get better tuning stability but you completely sacrifice all the character of what makes a mustang sound like a mustang.

i keep adding extra stuff on to a question you didn't really ask or care about....rambling....

long story short i can make both of those player guitars sound identical in under 5 minutes out of an amplifier
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

ill give you another quick example thats kind of related.

i bought a purple jaguar.
i put mustang pickups in it.

it still sounds exactly like a jaguar.

Bartonfinkerton

Bartonfinkerton

thanks for the replies by the way.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

you might get some variance based on how the guitar is wired, but for the most part, the bridge style is going to play the biggest role in getting that "mustang sound" or not since we're talking about the same pickups. there really isn't any appreciable difference between the pickups fender puts in strats vs. mustangs/duos.

welcome to the board, btw. great thread!
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Bartonfinkerton wrote:could it be the electronics?

http://guitar.com/review/electric-guit ... duo-sonic/
i got 3 sentences into that review and the guy called them "affordable cuties" then i closed it. i just cant.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

without reading.......one of those guitars had a maple fretboard and the other one didn't.

the two I posted both had maple. You are going to get a bigger tonality from that with all other parts being equal if you are doing a A/B review.

these two goofs argue about it for half an hour.

[youtube][/youtube]
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

shit nevermind thats rosewood vs pau ferro.....

let me find maple vs pau ferro...
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

[youtube][/youtube]

here's an excellent A/B video with maple and rosewood. where the dude has the same guitar swapping the necks and playing one then the other over and over.

you just gonna have to kind of substitute pau-ferro and rosewood in your brain because i cant find a video with anyone saying good things about the stuff. everyone just wants their rosewood necks back.

also with a maple fretboard, fender loves to put 18 layers of clear gloss on the fretboard at this price point. which I don't mind at all, more gloss the better for me, but it does effect the tone of the wood if the string isn't touching the wood, its touching 18 layers of clear paint.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Strings don’t really touch fingerboard wood by design much, only contact with the frets is important.

I think the one-piece maple necks make a difference. With maple laminate boards they can come off similar. It’s mainly the neck that makes any given guitar sound like itself.

It’s also correct that the bridge is most of what gives Mustangs and Jags their distinctive sounds. Jags with TOMs and 500k pots are just MIM Standard Teles on Halloween.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

paul_ wrote:Jags with TOMs and 500k pots are just MIM Standard Teles on Halloween.
:lol:

and yeah, it's not the string contacting the fretboard directly that produces that difference between rosewood/etc. necks and maple. my understanding is the fret's resonance with the neck material is the main influence which would make sense as that is one of the two main points of tension when the guitar is played. your fingers are supposed to be behind that. and in my experience, if you're fretting so hard that the string is kissing the neck hard enough to change the tone, it's probably pulling the note sharp.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

If you're running it through a Metal Zone stompbox, they'll all sound the same anyway.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

plopswagon wrote:If you're running it through a Metal Zone stompbox, they'll all sound the same anyway.
Something something tone in the fingers, mojo, etc
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Capos make all necks sound like Brazilian rosewood by narrowing the sonic range of the mojo arrows coursing through the maple’s tonesyrup. If I was forced to put it in layman’s terms I’d say it really sweetens up the presence around 4-6kHz.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

HAHAHAHAHA

that zinger was feature complete.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Below you can see the data collected by Dr. Ted Fujita giving variable factors for wood type, string gauge, germanium vs. silicone, compliance, and tonefingerz (as defined by the Fujita scale)
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.