A switch problem on telecaster

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

izodiak

A switch problem on telecaster

Post by izodiak »

So, I bought a Fazley Telecaster copy (students budget, 100 eur)
Set up and all plays nice.
BUT ! The pickup selector is weird. It switches neck/both/bridge and when
push a bit on the bridge position there comes some 4 combination.
Wobbly wibbly but has a more spank sound.
Do I need to change the selector are these electronics problems ?

kim wrote:plankton people will be plankton people
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I’d see if something is grounding on the mounting plate.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
izodiak

Post by izodiak »

plopswagon wrote:I’d see if something is grounding on the mounting plate.
Ok, googling..thanks ! :)

edit - no, it doesn't buzz.. all is OK.. but when I add a bit strength to the switcher it like gives a more treble/ spank sound.
Anyways all this soldering scares me..never have done any.. shaping the nut and sanding the fret ends was scary enough..uh..
( was a schmuck who took guitars to shops for fixing but im like the only guitar player in this city lol )
izodiak

Post by izodiak »

I should be ashamed , Im on this forum more than 10 years, but weak at any wiring things so I added pics..
I just think the third position (bridge) is the same as middle, so when I push the switch it changed to bridge, sounds logic ?

izodiak

Post by izodiak »

So there is some switch problem, right ?

Neck/bridge and bridge sound the same..only if I twiggle the switch it goes to bridge.

I need to resolder etc, yes?
Last edited by izodiak on Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

that soldering is pretty awful. If you’re going to resolder, I’d go ahead and get a new betterer switch too, and if you’re going to do that, then replace the pots too.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
izodiak

Post by izodiak »

Found these (they have the spring, oldskuul) in Aliexpress.. 500k pots and some clothed solder wire..soldering kit, ha.

http://a.aliexpress.com/_mtU9j1T

They have some wilkinson alnico 5 neck pup's are they any good ?
url I know ali isn't kool.

Thanks for the help !!
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

I wouldn't trust buying anything off aliexpress.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

There's a good ebay seller of parts based in the Netherlands tho.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

It's hard to tell from the photo. I never really had a tele and I don't remember what a strat switch looks like despite the fact that I did soldering on it several times. Then again switches are all different, you can try and figure how it works using a multimeter.

Also you'll probably need 250k pots since it's a single pups loaded tele. 500k are for humbuckers.

I bought micro pedals off aliexpress and they were fine. I bought bridges and there were crappy. I bought a couple of necks and they were unusable. At the same time there are some ecstatic reviews on cheap necks from aliexpress, maybe I'm just not lucky with them
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
izodiak

Post by izodiak »

Noirie. wrote:There's a good ebay seller of parts based in the Netherlands tho.
What's the name ? Thanks !

About Ali, yea..sometimes it's fail sometimes win.. my main issue is budget, I'd have some max 30eur to invest..so this Ali risk maybe is worth it.

Ok, I have no idea, I just saw these switches with pc motherboard plates and then switches with the round plates and and these with a spring, some dudes referred to them as most classical..
(My limited knowledge lol)
sunshiner wrote: Also you'll probably need 250k pots since it's a single pups loaded tele. 500k are for humbuckers.
And my pot knowledge goes as far that I just read some Google stuff, that single coils must have 500k pots for "brighter" sound.. just some article..so, I'm just guessing what should I get.Then there was some treble issue thing, treble bleed and then I just closed my browser..ha

I'm being totally lame now, to get bridge thing going , I use some scotch tape.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Many modern Teles use 500k pots, including CVs, MIM Standards and I think American Standards, it's part of the modern vibe. Your guitar actually clearly has 250k pots in it and even appears to use a linear taper (or B-curve) pot for at least the volume control (ordinarily it would be the tone control if the two are different tapers).

You could change to 500k pots but the guitar will sound generally different all over: not just brighter but with a different bass response as well. I didn't like the neck pickup in my Jag-Stang after I switched to 500k pots (which I had to do because of the humbucker, which was way too muddy in stock Jag-Stangs).

If you're really stuck just buy a cheap loaded control plate somewhere online, it'll be quality-equivalent to what you have in there already and Squiers/MIM Fenders use the same cheapo bits anyway. Even if the screwholes don't line up it's a good price for the harness to swap over onto your control plate, and all you have to do beyond that is wire the output jack to it.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
izodiak

Post by izodiak »

About getting pre-wired was thinking of this, again aliexpress and the exclusive version lol
I'm just thinking this spring knob switch, will satisfy some fetish side of me :D ? More vintage sound hah

With the 250k now, the bridge sounds very good,when I wiggle it in,ha ..the neck pickup has no character all (midrange muffle)..

So that's why I was thinking maybe I can get this chewpo Wilkinson thing alnico 5 neck pickup and yea.. just check is there any noticeable ear pleasure..
Or just calm down and get these fender Texas pickups or this cheap boutique series.

And when there are three numbers in my account get some Classic vibe tele neck on my guitar would be a nice thing.. miss the super lacquer on my strat after playing this guy...