NPD: Nektar NX-P

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

NickS

NPD: Nektar NX-P

Post by NickS »

It's an expression pedal, planned for use with the Line 6 M5 or M9 - I'll probably be letting the M5 go now I have the M9. There's only so many bits of battleship you can put on your pedalboard before you end up with a slipped disc.
It's plastic with a metal base and a fixed lead. Still, plastic Behringer pedals seem to survive quite well.
Nektar_NX-P_top.JPG
Nektar_NX-P_top.JPG (525.57 KiB) Viewed 699 times
Nektar_NX-P_LHS.JPG
Nektar_NX-P_LHS.JPG (446.17 KiB) Viewed 699 times
Nektar_NX-P_RHS.JPG
Nektar_NX-P_RHS.JPG (457.4 KiB) Viewed 699 times
Nektar_NX-P_bottom.JPG
Nektar_NX-P_bottom.JPG (462.47 KiB) Viewed 699 times
The actuator linkage is also plastic with a smear of silicone grease; that is probably not going to last for ever but it will probably outlast the pot so not to worry. I've not evaluated whether the way that works makes the pot travel non-linear like a Coloursound wah.
Nektar_NX-P_actuator.JPG
Nektar_NX-P_actuator.JPG (168.49 KiB) Viewed 699 times

At £19.99 from The Great Satan Amazon.co.uk (I had vouchers to use) it's pretty cheap. The M-Audio one is cheaper, yes, so this is a compromise.
I wasn't au fait with using an expression pedal with the Line 6 boxes, though I've had an M5 for ages. I've ended up using polarity switch position 2 with the "sensitivity" control at full (which means it is short circuit). The polarity switch appears to swap the tip and ring connections, and the "sensitivity" control appears to put some Rs in between the pedal pot and earth/ground.
Nektar_NX-P_inside.JPG
Nektar_NX-P_inside.JPG (657.54 KiB) Viewed 699 times
Nektar_NX-P_adjust_pot.JPG
Nektar_NX-P_adjust_pot.JPG (272.88 KiB) Viewed 699 times
Setting up the M9 is another topic - if you are using auto save you must switch off all effects before unplugging the expression pedal or you lose what you just set up; best to use manual save.
Nektar_NX-P_M9_Echo.JPG
Nektar_NX-P_M9_Echo.JPG (360.62 KiB) Viewed 699 times
Nektar_NX-P_M9_Wah.JPG
Nektar_NX-P_M9_Wah.JPG (353.02 KiB) Viewed 699 times
If you're not worried about warranty, or if it eventually breaks and you are able to DIY it would not be difficult to replace the fixed lead or there's plenty of space to install a stereo (TRS) jack socket to use with a suitable lead.

Edit: Rehosted pics.
Last edited by NickS on Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

"bits of battleship" :lol:

great post, and your assessment of the behringer toughness among pedals despite the plastic housings scans nicely with hurb's classic demos.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Looks pretty *ahem* sweet.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

i don't know if dad jokes help our SEO, but i'm all for 'em. :lol:
NickS

Post by NickS »

benecol wrote:Looks pretty *ahem* sweet.
arf arf
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Yeah I have the M-Audio pedal, it's fine. It feels as cheap as it is.

It's funny because I have a Snarling Dogs wah, too, and seeing the two different styles of construction at two opposite ends of the scale for what is effectively meant to be the same mechanical function is crazy. The Snarling Dogs pedal is literally the heaviest fucking pedal I've ever had, it's massively wider than it realistically ever needed to be. The M-Audio feels like a toy by comparison, but has worked just as long as the Snarling Dogs, so... ya know. Whatevs.

Plastic pedal bros, unite.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Oooh have fun; I had an exp pedal for the M9 years ago (honestly not sure what happened to it), and being able to control multiple parameters across different FX all at once is INSANE fun.

I bought a Moog EP-1 for a few pedals relatively recently and the sheer SOLIDITY belies the fact it's plastic.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
NickS

Post by NickS »

Doog wrote:Oooh have fun; I had an exp pedal for the M9 years ago (honestly not sure what happened to it), and being able to control multiple parameters across different FX all at once is INSANE fun.
Being less insane, multiple parameters on a single effect is handy, e.g. turning down output as you turn up drive.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

What’s more insane than that??
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Doog wrote:COOCOO LOCO!
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

ekwatts wrote:Yeah I have the M-Audio pedal, it's fine. It feels as cheap as it is.

It's funny because I have a Snarling Dogs wah, too, and seeing the two different styles of construction at two opposite ends of the scale for what is effectively meant to be the same mechanical function is crazy. The Snarling Dogs pedal is literally the heaviest fucking pedal I've ever had, it's massively wider than it realistically ever needed to be. The M-Audio feels like a toy by comparison, but has worked just as long as the Snarling Dogs, so... ya know. Whatevs.

Plastic pedal bros, unite.
Only recently noticed MXRs are really heavy. Like, compared to anything else that general size, even if it is a metal case, a Phase 90 is always going to be the doorstop whereas the other compact pedal is like THAT'S WHY CHARLIE CHRISTIAN INVENTED VELCRO YOUNG SQUIAHHH
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Just spent 20 minutes or so trying to work out if this was 10k ohm and therefore compatible with the M5. Should have guessed that Nick would already have a thread including a bit of a teardown on it.

All works okay, Nick? Any reason I shouldn't buy one?
NickS

Post by NickS »

Works fine with the M9, let me go and check with the M5.
Personal pronouns he/him
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I assume they both want to see the same expression pedal?
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Yepppp
NickS

Post by NickS »

As with the M9, it works with switch set to 2. The parameters will need to be tweaked to your requirements so that things work the way round you expect, it seems. E.g. the "Vetta wah" seems to be reversed by default.
Personal pronouns he/him
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Ooh, the M-Audio one is only £12.99. Might go for that instead. It looks smaller too, going by the diagram below which specifies that 32cm is a length that this isn't...

NickS

Post by NickS »

That is indeed a weird diagram.
Personal pronouns he/him
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

:lol:
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »