NBD - Squier VM 70s jazz bass

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

argylelewis

NBD - Squier VM 70s jazz bass

Post by argylelewis »

Hi everyone, it's been far too long. Been lurking again for a while and managed to snag myself a bass on ebay for cheap.

I've never had a bass before. I've played a few but not had one of my own. It's pretty but the action feels high. Is that just how it is? Could it be awful like the neck being bowed? Do i need to do something to lower the action?

I've messed with the bridge and saddle height etc. They're now at a height that is as low as it can go before any buzz. Read bits about truss rod tightening/loosening. What's your thoughts? Or is this how it is and I've got to man up?

Took photos of neck and 12th fret action. Its lower further up the neck.

Anyway, pics...

Image[/img]
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I love these. I've been meaning to pick one up for year and years now.

That action doesn't look too bad, but it's hard to tell from photos and without the bass in my hands.

To check if the trussrod needs adjusting, rather than focus on the action, use the method below (I don't have thickness gauges, I always eyeball that bit).

Probably worth going through all these videos.

[youtube][/youtube]
argylelewis

Post by argylelewis »

Hero thanks mate. I was looking at some stuff yesterday but it was just confusing me, will have a watch. For now it's playable and sounds great, but if we can get it slightly lower then even better.

I had my eye on one for ages, but managed to win the auction for £80 with local pickup so seemed a decent deal. Just always worries me that I'll end up finding the neck is bowed beyond belief (never had a bowed neck though and don't really know what one is!).
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Fucking hell, raging jealous. What a bargain.
argylelewis

Post by argylelewis »

There's been a few on ebay lately to be honest. Missed out on a black version that went for about the same price locally as well. I guess with them being pick up only not many people fancy a drive to the ass end of Gloucestershire /the south west :lol:
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

It’s hard to tell for the pictures but you might have to shim the neck as well.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
argylelewis

Post by argylelewis »

Ah okay. Will start paying attention to some bass setup vids.

Needs a string change anyway. Any tips on gauge? I use 12s on my supersonic and jag and 10s or 11s on the tele. This isn't shortcale and is also a bass so I'm a bit clueless.

Would you recommend standard bass slinky or something?
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I like Ernie Ball slinkies. Maybe 100’s? (I use 105’s but I like heavy strings on bass)
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
argylelewis

Post by argylelewis »

Brilliant, thanks. Down the shop tomorrow to see if they've got any then
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

smoking deal on a great looking bass. i agree, i don't know that a truss rod adjustment is called for yet. maybe shim and restring to start off.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

That’s a killer price for one of those. It’s a cool colour combo too.

It’s hard to guess the action issue. Most likely it’s never been adjusted by the previous owner. After the hotter weather it might just need a seasonal tweak.
argylelewis

Post by argylelewis »

Unsure if me tinkering has done anything but action is much nicer. Messed about with the saddles a little, put a very small shim in and then loosened off the strings and left it over night. Tuned up the next day and much better.

Maybe as mentioned it was lack of play from previous owner or something. It's fun to play, does need a restring though.

There's been a few deals on basses lately in the south west. Missed out on the black version but there was this, a talman and a few others that finished for similar prices. Maybe it's people selling lockdown purchases?
astro

Post by astro »

Beautiful bass, I’ve always wanted one of these!

I’ve been thinking lately of getting a Squier jazz bass to tune BEAD. The 70’s model you have looks killer with the black blocks and binding, this is the model I would get if I go down that road.

I use Ernie Ball slinkies for round wounds, they’re cheap, last a good while, and sound good. I use LaBella for flat wounds. If you get flat wounds, invest in a high quality set as they will literally last decades, if not forever (unless you break them).
argylelewis

Post by argylelewis »

Bass noob question. What's the difference sound wise? I'll be honest since having it I've been playing Sabbath, Death From Above and some hardcore amd can't imagine me learning much slap etc. Guessing rounds will be best option sound wise?
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Rounds are generally a more rock sound and flats a more soul sound (though there’s always exceptions.) Rounds will give you a more crunchy sound, flats a more smooth tone.
► Show Spoiler
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

They all sound the same, except for flats, which sound like really, really old and manky rounds.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

There is such a critter known as half rounds which I currently have on my p-bass, worst of both worlds (which means I love ‘em)
► Show Spoiler
argylelewis

Post by argylelewis »

Rounds it is for me then! Slinkys have never let me down so I'll see what they're like. Price increase compared to guitar strings though, what's going on there?!
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

argylelewis wrote:Rounds it is for me then! Slinkys have never let me down so I'll see what they're like. Price increase compared to guitar strings though, what's going on there?!
I imagine it’s just material cost? More metal because the strings are bigger? Or comedy tax because BASS?
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

There’s so few things that make a bass player feel important, expensive strings is one, don’t take that away from us.
► Show Spoiler