DJing

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

DJing

Post by Freddy V-C »

Anyone else on here ever DJ?

I've been dabbling with it for a few years now. From 2014 to 2016ish I used to do a bit of soulless function DJing, either providing early evening "mood music" for city centre bars or doing 40th birthdays and stuff like that. I wasn't very good at it and I hated it lol, but it was an easy way to make some extra cash back when I was skint. And then since 2017 I've been sporadically DJing club nights at CHUNK. It's fun, but I'm usually shitfaced and it tends to be B2B sets with other people who are invariably way better DJs than me, so it often ends up being someone else doing like 80% of the DJing and me waving my arms around enthusiastically. Obviously due to Covid I haven't even done that for 18 months, so safe to say I'm a little bit rusty.

Anyway, I'm supposed to be DJing (solo!) at a mate's party at the end of this month. Only a short set, thankfully, but I'm shitting it. So for the past couple of weeks I've had a pretty dedicated practice routine. I've also finally bought a proper controller to practice with - a Numark DJ2GO2. Turns out I'm way less shitty when I'm not attempting to DJ with a mouse.

Here's a set I recorded in my living room this evening. Fairly pleased with it, not 100% spot on but it would certainly be close enough for a room full of hammered people on a bank holiday.

http://soundcloud.com/hfog420/dj-dad-o ... RPnwU5ZgRy

Have a listen if you're interested in relentless 160BPM donk/bounce/hardstyle techno (which, admittedly, might be literally nobody on this forum).
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

I can’t speak for anyone else, but that someone is me. I got really into hardbass for a couple months last year. Listening to the set now, and opening with the Cher track is a great choice

Edit: 1000% in to it
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I’ll give it a listen. I’m by no means an authority but that’s never stopped anyone from rendering an opinion.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

kingkiller wrote:1000% in to it
Haha thanks dude! I feel like it loses some momentum in the last couple of tracks, but the gig is still two weeks away so I've got a bit of time to figure it out.

If you're into that set of mine then you should check out this Lobsta B promo mix. Peak of the art form IMO: http://soundcloud.com/snaresnbladders/ ... -promo-mix
NickD

Post by NickD »

I’ll have a listen when I’m back home.

I DJ’d for a few years at/after uni in the mid to late 90s. It was still the era of two Technics and a mixer, so I used to be able to beat match. Doubt I could do it now.

I used to play a mixture of stuff, depending on the night. From 70’s cheese to drum and bass.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Yeah, beat matching is the main thing I've been practicing! Especially playing relatively fast techno-adjacent stuff it sounds REALLY ropey if you don't get the beat matching right. Admittedly it's easier with a laptop than with a pair of Technics, though! I used to be able to do it manually with a pair of CD-Js and a mixer, but I'm out of the habit now. Never beat matched vinyl though!