pedal board de/reconstruction

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

ordered an angry charlie as well as a couple of donner pedals: mini compressor, eq

we'll see!
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Sounds great.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

donner pedals showed up yesterday, and the angry charlie came in today, so they are all mounted on the board now:
â–º Show Spoiler
signal chain is currently:
  • guitar
  • strobo stomp hd
  • ultimate comp
  • seeker eq
  • vp jr
  • tender octaver
  • luna overdrive
  • glove
  • angry charlie
  • signal boost
  • mini foot fuzz
  • fender blender clone
  • choir
  • ninety orange
  • flashback II
  • ac 30 w/ trem and verb
i'm open to recommendations on that order even though i did some cable management to get it all to fit.

had to scooch the volume and vox switch to the right and left respectively to make room enough for the charlie which is in the bigger housing like the blender. i *think* i will place the shortwave physically and signal-wise next to the seeker when it comes back to me (probably in the next week or two, recovery received it this tuesday past).

the flashback also had to move downstage-left a bit so the stereo cable can connect with the vox switch. i could clean that up a bit by using an angled stereo end for the vox fx, but that would also necessitate a new pedal python at that point which was a pain in the ass to setup years back. if i do go that route (which i may eventually just say "eff it" and jump in), i'll probably run send/return leads for the delay section (of 1, currently lol).

for now, though, i just want the shortwave and OCD back from their respective shops. the latter of those was shipped to fulltone (just a couple counties away in Culver City, CA) to get the LP/HP switch replaced. i love that pedal, and after using it for years alongside the glove, they are definitely NOT created equally. the glove is darker and doesn't give me as much "feel" as the OCD does, even when i dial them close as i can to each other.

lastly, the angry charlie was a wonderful suggestion, thom. it's very similar to the OCD/glove circuit, but having an eq vs. a tone knob (plus whatever other circuit bending JHS is doing) gets such a wider range of tone. this is the closest thing i have to matching the bollocks my prosonic can create with its drive channel which is what i was after. i highly recommend!
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Awesome, glad you like the AC! Board is looking good!
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

for my birthday (which one???!!), i rounded out the board with a HOTONE (which i researched and found out is said "hot tone") flange pedal. i'd never had a stand alone flange before as the negative 80s association warded me off. so while i've used it sparingly in studio and within MFXPs, i wanted to dive in with another FUN piece to go along with the shortwave. i spent about 40 minutes playing around, and those two effects actually pair well with each other. the hotone once again delivers quality enough for me and my meat 'n potatoes needs. the range is great, operation is silent, i got it used for $70, and the quartet of shortwave/chorus/flange/phase are a blast to mix 'n match either clean or with all ranges of dirt and fuzz.

i also cleaned up routing on the board in addition to running the OCD in 18v mode now. the extra snarl is great, and it still sounds different-but-similar enough from the angry charlie that i'm pleased with the overall setup.

calling it done... for now. 8)
â–º Show Spoiler
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

dots wrote:for my birthday (which one???!!), i rounded out the board with a HOTONE (which i researched and found out is said "hot tone") flange pedal. i'd never had a stand alone flange before as the negative 80s association warded me off. so while i've used it sparingly in studio and within MFXPs, i wanted to dive in with another FUN piece to go along with the shortwave. i spent about 40 minutes playing around, and those two effects actually pair well with each other. the hotone once again delivers quality enough for me and my meat 'n potatoes needs. the range is great, operation is silent, i got it used for $70, and the quartet of shortwave/chorus/flange/phase are a blast to mix 'n match either clean or with all ranges of dirt and fuzz.

i also cleaned up routing on the board in addition to running the OCD in 18v mode now. the extra snarl is great, and it still sounds different-but-similar enough from the angry charlie that i'm pleased with the overall setup.

calling it done... for now. 8)
â–º Show Spoiler
Looks great. have someone make you a vox switcher pedal that is a smaller footprint and now you can fit 1 or 2 more. lol. Could also go with a mini volume. That's what I use. But in reality, playing live, leaving the volume and the switcher full size makes them much more usable on a dark stage. That's my issue with mini pedals is trying to hit them on and off on a stage while playing and singing.
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

that's trouble with pedals in general (literally stepping in it), so i tend to get the larger ones for pedals i'm going to use a lot which are typically the overdrives.

of the pieces on the board currently, it is only the volume pedal at this point that i might downsize. i only got the vp junior as i'd had the ernie ball full size many, many years ago, and the thing was an indestructible tank. i just wish they made an even smaller one!
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Since when do you have an AC30?!?!
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

:lol:

since here?

there's another thread not far below this one about my ailing jvm (that i still have), but my main squeeze has been the ac30 for a minute. mickie also gave me a smoking deal on a prosonic combo 18 months ago, and i will always love the tones from that amp, too. the ac30 with my ridiculous pedalboard, tho? pure love.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I want an AC15 so bad.
â–º Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: ↑Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

almost went w/ an ac15 back in the day, but i found that smoking deal on the ac30. the headroom on these circuits is to die for, and the trem was a game changer for me.

and here's my jvm thread, mike, if you want to see my idiotic story.