What is your favourite SG style model?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

What is your favourite SG style model?

Post by Rhysyrhys »

My whole life I've been gassing for an SG, I've never bought one cos there just seems like "more important" guitar purchase to make, like having a decent Strat or some workhorse guitar.

I own a LP Studio that has caused me great pain with the neck snapping a bunch because of Gibson's shitty neck design they won't change. So yeah, as title what's your favourite SG-style guitar? AND I guess also Gibson SGs cos there are so many sexy ones...

The Guild Polara is one I've found:

Which obviously led to finding the T-Bird, similar priced, cooler looking:

Reverend has a few models heres the Sensei in Goldtop:

Just posting a few I thought looked interesting to go and seek out. What cool SG and SG-style guitars do you like?
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

IMO a white Yamaha SG200 is the best combination of affordable/well spec'd/kind of off-kilter looking/easy to find. One of only two guitars I regret selling.

The coolest looking (ignoring all other factors) is a 70's Gibson SG-200. The similar name is just a coincidence. Mark my words, I will own one at some point.

I can't seem to figure out how to copy image links on my phone so you'll have to take my word for it with both of these.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

faded, obvs
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Yamaha Revstar
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Gibson SG Tribute
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I've never owned an SG. My favourite SG is my strat, as well as it is my favourite Les Paul.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

I love SGs, and will have another. I want a white one. Guild Polaras are OK, but I don't like the neck profile, and they fall apart in about three different ways. The best SGs are SG Classics (I've had four) - the combination of SGs and P90s is just bonkers.
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

benecol wrote:I love SGs, and will have another. I want a white one. Guild Polaras are OK, but I don't like the neck profile, and they fall apart in about three different ways. The best SGs are SG Classics (I've had four) - the combination of SGs and P90s is just bonkers.
That looks like an attractive combo for sure. Have you tried the Epiphone copy of these? There's a rather fetching one in Iverness Green near me for like 300.

Yeah the Guild bridges just look a bit... shit? Would've been fine with them just chucking a normal stoptail on there or a B5.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Gretsch Corvette

► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

Ah interesting choice, I remember wanting the Patrick Stump one. Not by name association, just cos it was cool, seem this black one is on Reverb.com in the lower 48 Image

It does tick the boxes and not break the bank too hard. I was hoping to spend less than a grand, seems like you can find them for between 600-900 USD.

I love that old one, there's also a cool red one that seems to come up.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I'd rather try and find a current slightly used made in the US SG Tribute than buy a new made in Indonesia or China Gretsch - reselling value will always be in favour of Gibson if you don't like it for some reason. And then if you want an SG I'd go for the real thing. The fact that it has a maple neck doesn't bother me at all, it has a rounded profile that's the main thing to me. I've never liked any Epiphone that I've tried, maybe they are making them differently now. The way they look don't thrill me and I don't like their playability
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Epiphone has the current run of Wilshire and Crestwood reissues though. They do look awesome.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Rhysyrhys wrote:That looks like an attractive combo for sure. Have you tried the Epiphone copy of these? There's a rather fetching one in Iverness Green near me for like 300.

Yeah the Guild bridges just look a bit... shit? Would've been fine with them just chucking a normal stoptail on there or a B5.
I'd always swerve an Epiphone SG, as I don't like the necks. SG Classics are one of those models that's pretty cheap secondhand too, considering it's effectively an SG Standard but with dots and P90s. Issues with the Polaras (much as I love their looks) is that they'll dismantle themselves; seen several where the binding and fingerboard have come away from the neck.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

dots wrote:incesticide
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

dots wrote:incesticide
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

robroe wrote:Image
Nah...
► Show Spoiler
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Non Gibson - Yamaha SG from the 800 model up:

My 800s that I sadly had to sell

And Gibson model my 2014 SG Special

Has a mahogany body but has a maple neck so less chance of a break - they do however come with hideous beige plastic pickup rings that must be replaced immediately.

When I started playing I wanted a Tele and an SG I waited till I was 40 before buying the SG get one you won't regret it
XY
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

sunshiner wrote:Image
Yes dog.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
NickD

Post by NickD »

I had a late 60s/early 70s SG Special that was great. Tim’s recommendation is pretty solid too.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

plopswagon wrote:
sunshiner wrote:Image
Yes dog.
Dawg ear dawg.