ever used a pedal/effect switcher?

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Freddy V-C wrote:I'm actually on the lookout for a second DD3, if that's still up for grabs?
no worries, i asked him.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Hurb wrote:
dots wrote:
Hurb wrote:dibs :lol:
i think ima snag the guv'nor and the TS10 -- can't ever have enough dirt. never was a fan of their stuff, but am i missing out on the DOD overdrive?
â–º Show Spoiler
The old dod stuff defiantly has as following. If its free or cheap you should snag the lot.
that's what i'm trying to find out -- how much he's willing to part with and for how much. i just ran numbers on a couple of them, and wow. not my motivation for picking any of them up, but he could turn a serious profit.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

dots wrote:no worries, i asked him.
Nice, thanks! Obviously postage to the UK might be costly, but if he's selling the pedal itself for cheap then it might be worth it!
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

dots wrote:
Hurb wrote:
dots wrote: i think ima snag the guv'nor and the TS10 -- can't ever have enough dirt. never was a fan of their stuff, but am i missing out on the DOD overdrive?
â–º Show Spoiler
The old dod stuff defiantly has as following. If its free or cheap you should snag the lot.
that's what i'm trying to find out -- how much he's willing to part with and for how much. i just ran numbers on a couple of them, and wow. not my motivation for picking any of them up, but he could turn a serious profit.
I bet that TS-10 would go for big bucks to a John Mayer fanboy.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

he just gave me all three. i pick them up tomorrow.

i'll come up with a solid christmas gift for him for sure.

fred - i'll PM once i have the DD3 back home. i'm not selling it, so we'll just figure out what the shipping is.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Thom wrote:
dots wrote:
Hurb wrote: The old dod stuff defiantly has as following. If its free or cheap you should snag the lot.
I bet that TS-10 would go for big bucks to a John Mayer fanboy.
ha! i was not aware of that association, so now i am even more curious. i don't care for mayer (as a musician or person), but he's an accomplished player, so maybe there's some mojo to be diverted for good.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

dots wrote:fred - i'll PM once i have the DD3 back home. i'm not selling it, so we'll just figure out what the shipping is.
Legend! Thanks for that. A few days ago I made the absurd decision that I need two DD3s on my board.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

pm sent.

here are the photos i've taken of this 29yo pedal according to its serial.
â–º Show Spoiler
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

plugged in and tested them all, and they mostly work great. the only one i'm ify on is the TS-10 as it was a little tricky to get the hang of turning it off and on when on carpet and unless using a light tap to (de)activate. once i put it on a hard surface, though, it was more reliable. i'll open up that one and the guv when i get a minute to see if they've got the chip versions people seem to love.

since i only had them each plugged in for a minute or two (stealing time from work between meetings, ya see), i couldn't do a deep dive on capabilities. from what i did engage, the TS-10 is about what i'd expect from the tube screamer family: overdriving raunch that reacts well to volume input from the instrument and pick dynamics. in 1995, i bought as my first ever pedal the soundtank series TS-5 version that i believe followed the discontinuing of the TS-10, so i was pretty familiar with the general usage.

the guv'nor is a solid, top-loading tank of a pedal. this one shows the signs of its age written of in the reviews you'll find online in that the pots could use a good blast with contact cleaner to clear some crackling. if you're looking to dial in a cranked plexi head sound, this thing does it real justice. i was using the mustang which is a more mellowed output, so i'd like to have a go with the high-octane p90s in the hh jag to see if it gets nastier. i could see stacking this and the ibanez together for facemelting effects, and i believe that's precisely what the previous owner did.

tl;dr: pedals work, i've cleaned them up a bit, tested, and photographed.
â–º Show Spoiler
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Freddy V-C wrote:
dots wrote:fred - i'll PM once i have the DD3 back home. i'm not selling it, so we'll just figure out what the shipping is.
Legend! Thanks for that. A few days ago I made the absurd decision that I need two DD3s on my board.
Me too! Or, at least that I'd want (not need) more. Having the hold function at more places in my chain would be grrreat.

I've since talked myself around to the position that I should by an EHX Freeze instead, and from there that I should by a HOG2 instead, because that's a proper Freeze.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I had the HOG for a while and felt like the options didn't justify the footprint. If you're BANG into the Hold stuff, I can highly recommend the SuperEgo+.

I've had both the Freeze and the SuperEgo, and the additional parameters the Plus lets you do sounds I've not really heard elsewhere. The fact it basically has a multiFX built-in too (to use only on the frozen sounds OR globally) is insane. Also has an FX loop to effect just the frozen signal with your own choice of pedal/s.
Last edited by Doog on Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

If you do end up getting some kind of Freeze or Super Ego style pedal, Paul, the effects loop in the EHX Silencer I just bought seems able to work alongside that in a really interesting way:

[youtube][/youtube]

(skip to 2:46)
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Pretty sick; could be a fun way to also get weird gatey/swelly effects out of other more 'standard' pedals.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

The thing is, I reckon a Super Ego would be perfect. But I can't help that regard the Super Ego, the various Mel/Synth/C/B-9 pedals, the Freeze etc are all just presets taken out of the HOG2. I know they're not quite that. But for the price they cost, they make the crazy expensive HOG2 look basically cheap.

I'd love if the HOG2 had the effects loop options though.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Re: ever used a pedal/effect switcher?

Post by dots »

finally reached out to gig rig about when they expect the hub to be available in their USA shop, and apparently it's happening toward the end of this month. pairing that up with the G3 is where my head is at, so i'm looking forward to trying it out... have been for several months!