Marshall JVM 410H 4 Channel Head Guitarist Review

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Posting on the board with someone else's login is not the way to do it.

Trust me, you're not being sensible and you're writing a case against yourself.

Sign out and sit it out please, it's 4 days.
Justin
NSFW

Post by Justin »

Okay, Mike. You've sold me. See you then.
JJLipton

Post by JJLipton »

Hmm, looks nice but what about the price? Mesa is coming out with a stripped down road king called the "Roadster" which is still redicously expensive. Maybe marshall will lower the cost of their dsl and tsl series now, I'd probably go for one of those amps instead.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/ ... angel.html

Some players say footswitching is for sissies. And with respect to this point of view, we created the Blue Angel.

It's amazing that even Mesa Boogie who have basically made their entire name on Channel Switching and their rectification gain amps, even recognizes that it's not for everyone.

Yet I state the same thing in less harsh terms and say personally it's not for me and I'm called a Ballbag. I was also only referring to the fact i don't like Amps with what I feel is overly complicated channel switching, there is nothing wrong with 2 on most amps, IMO.

I love these THREADS!
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

marshall would probably tell the guys over at mesa that the master volume / single-channel water is quite warm since they've never stopped making those amps.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Eww I hate Mesa amps. They're horrible.

I have no idea how they make valves sound so bad.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

i've heard them sound good, but they've been a much over-hyped amp the last 10 years. they basically have had two uses: metal bands scooping their already anemic mids and late 90's alt-rock bands detuning so they only have to barre their riffs. mesas actually have a really cool sound when used properly, but fuckin hell if creed and SLIPKNOT MOTHER FUCKER didn't ruin them.

oh and they're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over priced.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Over here they are ridiculous.

> $3000 for a single rec?
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Matt WK borrowed a Double Rectrumfrier at that gig in the video on our myspace.. I couldn't set the clean channel to stay clean. Dead weird, maybe the tubes were iffy or summat.

That said, my buddy has a Nomad combo and I think it sounds great and smoooooth. I don't have the Mesa hate that most folk do, it seems.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

just thank creed, nickleback, the foo fighters and everybody else for that. marshalls aren't cheap by any means, but at least they're reasonable for what you get. my TSL was $1400 6 years ago. a dual rec with not quite the same amount of features would've been twice that.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Doog wrote:That said, my buddy has a Nomad combo and I think it sounds great and smoooooth. I don't have the Mesa hate that most folk do, it seems.
craig (the other guitarist in satchild) jams a mesa combo. . . i think it's a dual rec, but i'm not sure. to make matters worse, he rocks a prs through it, but i can't fault the guy for tone. sounds awesome, but i think that's cuz he dials it in for rock and not "mark tremonti rip-off."
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Are their guitar sounds that bad? Sure, the awful, awful songs would colour your opinion but I never thought they sounded bad.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

they're that bad when they're in every song they play with no change, and the fact that so many bands basically replicated the same sound in all of their songs makes it 1000 times worse.
a.aaron

Post by a.aaron »

dots wrote:i've heard them sound good, but they've been a much over-hyped amp the last 10 years. they basically have had two uses: metal bands scooping their already anemic mids and late 90's alt-rock bands detuning so they only have to barre their riffs.
you're speaking of the dual & triple rectifier models. the Mark series and several other amps like the blue angel & maverick sound pretty nice.
Doog wrote: Nomad combo and I think it sounds great and smoooooth
dots wrote:mesas actually have a really cool sound when used properly, but fuckin hell if creed and SLIPKNOT MOTHER FUCKER didn't ruin them.
SLIPKNOT MOTHER FUCKER were staunch marshall users, then got an endorsement with Rivera.
according to an old Guitar World mag, mark tremonti only used Mesa 4x12s, powered by a Fender Twin w/ BOSS blues driver & Morley wah.
just thank creed, nickleback, the foo fighters and everybody else for that. marshalls aren't cheap by any means, but at least they're reasonable for what you get. my TSL was $1400 6 years ago. a dual rec with not quite the same amount of features would've been twice that.
Metallica & Soundgarden were some of the earliest users of Mesa recto's. i'd bet foo fighters would never have switched from marshalls if other bands hadnt made the rectos sound cool.

i'm kinda w/ Doog... seems like the song/band made the amp bad.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

werd.

I've never been a big Marshall fan due to the fact that every one I have played has been really heavy on the treble. Unfortunately, I haven't had ample time to really experience the "good" Marshalls. It's mostly AVT/MG etc.. around here.

The impression I get is
Fender - Clean
Vox - Clean
Marshall - Brittle Dirt
Mesa - Thicker Dirt
Boutique Amps - Expensive
Peavey - Generic
Crate - Generic

etc...

These are generalizations
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

a.aaron wrote:
dots wrote:i've heard them sound good, but they've been a much over-hyped amp the last 10 years. they basically have had two uses: metal bands scooping their already anemic mids and late 90's alt-rock bands detuning so they only have to barre their riffs.
you're speaking of the dual & triple rectifier models. the Mark series and several other amps like the blue angel & maverick sound pretty nice.
Doog wrote: Nomad combo and I think it sounds great and smoooooth
dots wrote:mesas actually have a really cool sound when used properly, but fuckin hell if creed and SLIPKNOT MOTHER FUCKER didn't ruin them.
SLIPKNOT MOTHER FUCKER were staunch marshall users, then got an endorsement with Rivera.
according to an old Guitar World mag, mark tremonti only used Mesa 4x12s, powered by a Fender Twin w/ BOSS blues driver & Morley wah.
Metallica & Soundgarden were some of the earliest users of Mesa recto's. i'd bet foo fighters would never have switched from marshalls if other bands hadnt made the rectos sound cool.

i'm kinda w/ Doog... seems like the song/band made the amp bad.
haha, way to school me on the mesa knowledge!

anyhoo, one of the guitar mags i had last year or so contained a two-page ad for mesa with just about every hard rock band of the minute pictured caressing their particular model. then it listed the names of mesa players. tremonti and SLIPKNOT MOTHER FUCKER were there as were: limp bizkit, 311, pod, killswitch engage, and many many more.

i've also heard, up close, in person the recs (single, dual, and triple), nomads, and marks among others. to say that mesas don't have a signature sound that pervades every class of their amp has to be a joke, right? marshall does. fender does. orange does. sure, there are models and series within those brands that stand out as better, worse, more of this, less of that, but a marshall is a marshall. a mesa is a mesa.

my ears tell me that there is a particular sound that mesas are geared toward, and i never even came close to saying they sounded bad. i do believe they're over priced and were way over used, but every band in the universe used marshalls in the 80's. every dog has its day.
some a guy a few posts up wrote:mesas actually have a really cool sound when used properly
:roll:
Last edited by dots on Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Sloan wrote:Unfortunately, I haven't had ample time to really experience the "good" Marshalls. It's mostly AVT/MG etc.. around here.
step into the world of a tube amp, son. it's better in here.
Sloan wrote:The impression I get is
Fender - Clean
Vox - Clean
Marshall - Brittle Dirt
Mesa - Thicker Dirt
Peavey - Generic
Crate - Generic

etc...

they're not bad or totally inaccurate impressions, but if you're not playing through/listening in person to the good ones, you're only hearing the approximations.

i've had two models of the hybrid marshalls, and they sounded okay. for the money, you get a marshall-esque amp. a full tube marshall of just about any model blows all of those away, imo.

hell, you can even tell the difference in crate amps. if you've ever played their blue voodoos, they're not actually bad amps. they sound like a crate that somebody took home, fed excercised properly, and came out of the house ready to knock your teeth out. not my thing, but not bad for the price either.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

dots wrote:
Sloan wrote:Unfortunately, I haven't had ample time to really experience the "good" Marshalls. It's mostly AVT/MG etc.. around here.
step into the world of a tube amp, son. it's better in here.
Sloan wrote:The impression I get is
Fender - Clean
Vox - Clean
Marshall - Brittle Dirt
Mesa - Thicker Dirt
Peavey - Generic
Crate - Generic

etc...

they're not bad or totally inaccurate impressions, but if you're not playing through/listening in person to the good ones, you're only hearing the approximations.

i've had two models of the hybrid marshalls, and they sounded okay. for the money, you get a marshall-esque amp. a full tube marshall of just about any model blows all of those away, imo.

hell, you can even tell the difference in crate amps. if you've ever played their blue voodoos, they're not actually bad amps. they sound like a crate that somebody took home, fed excercised properly, and came out of the house ready to knock your teeth out. not my thing, but not bad for the price either.
Yeah, I really liked the Crate V-Series and the little Palamino. I was just generalizing.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

no worries. in the quest for ultimate tone, i've plugged into i don't know how many different rigs. like i said, your observations were what i would expect if you haven't had a chance to jack into the good shit.

as for boutique amps, i've heard very few. . . a hellcat and a matchless. the hellcat was tits, but i was pretty unimpressed with the matchless.
a.aaron

Post by a.aaron »

dots wrote:
dots wrote:they basically have had two uses: metal bands scooping their already anemic mids and late 90's alt-rock bands detuning so they only have to barre their riffs.
...to say that mesas don't have a signature sound that pervades every class of their amp has to be a joke, right? marshall does. fender does. orange does. sure, there are models and series within those brands that stand out as better, worse, more of this, less of that, but a marshall is a marshall. a mesa is a mesa.

my ears tell me that there is a particular sound that mesas are geared toward, and i never even came close to saying they sounded bad...

:roll:
you arent going to plug into a Blue Angel or a Heartbreaker and play scooped mid metal. sure, mesa's are known for smooth pre-amp gain, that's their sound. i'm just saying, you listed a particular ilk of bands that use one particular model from a company that markets different amps to every genre, and has a more diverse sound than was apparent in your comments. :roll: :P