Marshall JVM 410H 4 Channel Head Guitarist Review

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Doog wrote:
And yeah, I'd agree with you on the Pro Tools front, I hate the idea of using computers to make up for the lack or something.
I haven't heard a modern recording I thought was anyways half decent unless it was recorded in an old manner. I think underground rock and indie rock is some of the shittiest around. I think it dies just about the time kids started using computers to record and not 4-tracks.

I hate the Audio Quality of almost all modern music. I think Ipods, Mp3's and listening to music on Computer Speakers are all shit.

I am not a technolgy phobe but I also don't think more is better. The Golden age of recording for me is the mid 40's to the early 70's and it was filled with tons of technological advances but a lot of good sounding ones.

Protools and punching things in and out and getting things to correct tempo and pitch is probably a God send for the working band but does it make them better? Almost all my favorite recordings are very basic, tight band playing in a room type sound. That's what i like, I can't help it or convince I like something else just cause it new. New means nothing to me, i don't judge music by it's Newnes which a lot of people do. people want the latest thing, they want to be part of a scene or a happening. To me that has nothing to with music and puts me off. For me great music is timeless and is great forever, i can listen to Nina Simone and the quality of her voice and the recording of her band is captured in a way that will be great forever and it makes no difference if I was listening to it in 1965 or 2005.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Oh lord don't be so Daft, you think Classic EVH was playing a 5150. Nope and do you realize since he has he hasn't done ANYTHING.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

i know he played an old marshall back in the day. and then he switched when somebody designed him a new amp.

WITH MULTIPLE CHANNELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

jcyphe wrote:Oh lord don't be so Daft, you think Classic EVH was playing a 5150. Nope and do you realize since he has he hasn't done ANYTHING.
you forgot to mention that most of his "tone" came from them fancy painted on stripes. :wink:
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

jcyphe wrote:Oh lord don't be so Daft, you think Classic EVH was playing a 5150. Nope and do you realize since he has he hasn't done ANYTHING.
I would argue he has never done anything.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

dots wrote:i know he played an old marshall back in the day. and then he switched when somebody designed him a new amp.

he used a dimed out Marshall with a variac and got all his sound from the Power Tube distortion and that's the sound I like. I can't honestly name one song he made with his 5150 amp that i think is any good but EVH could play most any decent amp and sound like himself, maybe it was just the timing of where he was in his career. I prefer his early sound at it just re-inforces my own opinion.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Mike wrote:
i wouldn't go that far. if evh didn't invent the hammer-on/tapping as a style, he at least made them household names for BEDROOM WARRIORS everywhere.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

jcyphe wrote:
dots wrote:i know he played an old marshall back in the day. and then he switched when somebody designed him a new amp.

he used a dimed out Marshall with a variac and got all his sound from the Power Tube distortion and that's the sound I like. I can't honestly name one song he made with his 5150 amp that i think is any good but EVH could play most any decent amp and sound like himself, maybe it was just the timing of where he was in his career. I prefer his early sound at it just re-inforces my own opinion.
meh. i like the brown sound myself, but i don't just write songs for that tone. . . too much of teh kurdtz in me. 8)
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

dots wrote:
Mike wrote:
i wouldn't go that far. if evh didn't invent the hammer-on/tapping as a style, he at least made them household names for BEDROOM WARRIORS everywhere.
I hate that hammer-on tapping style.
There's nothing further from the music I love.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Mike wrote:I hate that hammer-on tapping style.
There's nothing further from the music I love.
if you want to talk about something that's played out, there's your answer. the overblown evh-style solo is rock's dodo bird at the moment. i still enjoy wanking briefly in selected songs, but gone are the days of the 3 minute "where the fuck did that come from" lead.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Multi Channed amps rule. This is because they're better.

jcyphe's a fuckin' ballbag.

This is all true.
a.aaron

Post by a.aaron »

how can you think outside the box, when it has 28 knobs and 5 footswitches?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Think outside your own snobbish mind?

Or maybe you should work out how much cheaper your Orange and Matamp goods were here in the UK?
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

One of the deciding factors when I bought my amp (after various, more carefully considered factors) was the fact that its front plate was adorned with 24 knobs, and eight switches (not counting the power switch).
matte30is
Gimme' head till I'm dead

Post by matte30is »

Ill take a jcm 800 combo 50 watt or vox ac 30 and a fender deville amp.

please.

I likes small combo amps.
iCEByTes wrote:V8 give me chills the sound of motor , the visual , oh man oh shit oh crap.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

matte30is wrote:Ill take a jcm 800 combo 50 watt or vox ac 30 and a fender deville amp.

please.

I likes small combo amps.
The Fender Deville let you down. Do you mean Hot Rod or Tweed?

Careful now. CAREFUL!

I <3 the JCM800 50 watt amps.
matte30is

Post by matte30is »

The Hot rod. I had a 4x10 one that was a great clean amp but the gain channel blew.

Id want the 2x12 though. Easier to buy 2 25w greenbacks than 4 10" celestions.
iCEByTes wrote:V8 give me chills the sound of motor , the visual , oh man oh shit oh crap.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Which makes it... a shit amp!

Why bother with a drive channel if it's arsetits?
matte30is

Post by matte30is »

That why I'd need 2 combo amps on stage.

duh.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

LORDY.

What is your other amp, two-amps-Matt?

I bet thats what they call you innit, TwoAmpsMatt, you weirdo!