new EHX harmoniser

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Doog
mid-century modem

Re: new EHX harmoniser

Post by Doog »

Also, Freddy; dibs on your broken Mooer! What broke on it?
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Freddy V-C wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:14 pm Yeah, I haven't played around with the TonePrint at all yet, but the stock settings are definitely more bottom-heavy than any sounds I was able to get out of the Mooer. So far that hasn't been an issue in Beige Palace, I guess because we don't have a bass player. And then I'm unsure how much I'll end up using it in my Thank live setup.
Something I think I read somewhere is that the Toneprint stuff allows you to produce sounds that the actual pedal itself doesn't have knobs or native functions for, so you can get short reverbs or delays or something on pedals that otherwise don't offer that sort of thing as part of the effect normally. Which I think is kind of cool.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

ekwatts wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:25 pm Something I think I read somewhere is that the Toneprint stuff allows you to produce sounds that the actual pedal itself doesn't have knobs or native functions for, so you can get short reverbs or delays or something on pedals that otherwise don't offer that sort of thing as part of the effect normally. Which I think is kind of cool.
Yeah, it's pretty damn good.

The newer models have that 'Mash' footswitch, which is basically an pressure-based expression "pedal", which you can map its 4 levels of "being pressed" to any parameter the already-extending software can give you. I set up a preset on my Flashback 2 as a normal digital delay, but on holding down the footswitch at all, it bumped the feedback up to max and brought the input signal to zero, for sample-hold fun.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

That sounds more interesting than I expected. Will have to investigate further at some point - my pedalboard lives at the practice space currently.

Doog, I'll happily post you my Mooer Pure Octave. The first problem was that when I turned it on it would occasionally mute my whole signal instead of engaging the effect. That happened infrequently enough that it rarely caused problems at gigs, and 90% of the time I could fix it by pulling out the power supply and plugging it back in again, but it had been a problem since at least mid-2019 (IIRC I bought the pedal in 2013 or 2014). More recently it started adding a bunch of noise to my signal, which basically made it impossible to use with any gain. The best way I can describe it is that it sounded like a short delay with the feedback on full and the mix turned down super quiet. At first I thought it might not be getting along with my DD3 but I tried it in the chain without that and still had the same problem, I also tried a different power supply etc. I decided for such a cheap pedal that I'd had for almost a decade, I was probably better off just buying a new one rather than spending money trying to get it fixed.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

I've kind of gone off Mooers. I've had two now, a Pitch Box and an Elec Lady (electric mistress clone) and the Elec Lady seems to just never be "off", so even bypassed I can hear the effect faintly in the background. The Pitch Box has always worked (even after having had beer spilled on it) but apart from a pretty wild chorus mode, the base effect just sounds like shit, lol. A friend of mine had one of their distortions, too, and it just stopped working after a few months. Not the biggest sample size, even adding in Freddies experience with his octaver, but I've just been a little disappointed in them.

And speaking of TC Electronic stuff, their newer budget pedals are cheaper than Mooers in most cases anyway. I've had a few on my wish list for a bit, like the Vibraclone and the June 60 (which has a new version out before Christmas) but I keep wondering whether or not I should just sell everything but my distortions and overdrives and buy a Plethora X4. 4 toneprint-enabled pedals in one box.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Yeah, I've got the JUNE-60 and the Eyemaster from their newer budget range. Both sound great, although I'm not a big fan of the switches. They seem to be wired in reverse, so the effect turns on when you take your foot off the switch rather than when you push it down. I'm told it should be a relatively easy mod, but I'm not confident enough to do it myself and I haven't yet asked someone else.

I don't have any other Mooer pedals, but I have a Tomsline Black Teeth (RAT clone) which I think is just a rebadged Black Secret. It works okay, but I'm intending to replace it with a proper RAT at some point because I don't really trust it.