NGD - Fender American Professional II Jazzmaster - LH

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

kim
[='±'=]

Re: NGD - Fender American Professional II Jazzmaster - LH

Post by kim »

Bacchus wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:20 pm It looks great, but that hole/fill attempt on the fingerboard is pretty unforgivable. I suppose it probably won't have any real-world impact.

What happens if that fret lifts in a few years time?

I've seen it before, my mustang has a few holes under the fretwire like that too but not as big.

I didn't see it at first and the picture is a close up, still not right though, but it's just an aesthetic flaw nothing that could turn to disaster later on.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

Some more pictures of the (w)hole fretwire issue

The fretboard came dry and dirty like that. Production was march 2021, it was shipped to netherlands in may 2021 i saw, i'm thinking they ordered it for a customer who then kept it a while and sent it back.

sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Congratulations! A nice looking guitar it is. It's a pity they didn't disclose all the imperfections it has. I don't know what I would do in your situation. The shop should give you a discount, otherwise I'd probably return it. There's nothing wrong with all the dings and scratches as they will inevitably appear with playing and bashing it around a bit but you paid for a new Fender and might have got a B stock instrument. Even understanding how difficult it is to come across a really nice lefty guitar
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

I've been postponing removing the stickers... but honestly even if the shop never responds i'd probably keep it.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

HNGD!!!

Btw these all Ship with the plastic zip bag now, it’s not just yours. Mine was the same, I had an intermittent issue with the 3way switch, easy fix tho, it had just spun around a touch and was making contact with the edge of the rout underneath. I may have actually caused it when I was yanking off the plastic from the guard.

The pickups in this are very cool, as is the series option. My take away from it was it was probably a bit better made than the first Am Pro, especially the final touches like the rolled fretboard.

That colour looks VERY cool. I opted for the dark night one so it wasn’t too similar my other one.
MattK

Post by MattK »

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!
Good luck getting the store to reimburse you - maybe involving a credit card company (or threatening to) could give you leverage?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Because it’s a lefty it has probably been in the shop since launch. That would explain the dirt and knocks, you should have been sold it art he price of a display model for sure.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

It was made in march 2021 and shipped to the netherlands in may 2021, i bought it from their belgian shop (antwerp).

I tried putting fender customer relations and fender germany (for belgium) in a new mail with lots of pictures but the mails to fender got returned, inboxes full.

I paid through Paypal wire.
rahbro

Post by rahbro »

Both guitars sound awesome in their own way!
plopswagon wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:55 am
I laid a pallet of sod yesterday
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

shhh they're not supposed to know i got a strat too.

:wink:
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

Received a call from the shop's headquarters in the netherlands today.
Their offer : Bring it to their shop in Antwerp for free repair :lol:
or return it.

I asked him to put his suggestions on mail instead of over phonecall but so far no mail.

I'm not going to bring it in for 'repair' and i'm not going to return it.

No discount means no more purchases from me.

Bought a set of Thomastik JS111's somewhere else.
MattK

Post by MattK »

Tell them you have a bunch of potential customers on a forum waiting to see how they handle the situation.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

hehe, well they're not responding over email, i guess they don't want black on white proof what cunts they are being.

I tried calling them back, waited 15mins and hung up. Resent pictures and info to fender.

Give me a discount, contact fender with proof and request replacement neck, then i can bring it in when the new neck is there and replace it (i'll do it myself so your 'repair guys' don't have to do anything).

Very curious if Fender will have a bit more responsibility towards their customers or wether it's just 'You have to go through the store you bought it from for that'.

Merc isn't going anywhere. I can make peace with a discount or a replacement neck. Those seem two fair options.

As an apology they better send me a flamed replacement neck. :roll:
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

kim wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:28 pm hehe, well they're not responding over email, i guess they don't want black on white proof what cunts they are being.

I tried calling them back, waited 15mins and hung up. Resent pictures and info to fender.

Give me a discount, contact fender with proof and request replacement neck, then i can bring it in when the new neck is there and replace it (i'll do it myself so your 'repair guys' don't have to do anything).

Very curious if Fender will have a bit more responsibility towards their customers or wether it's just 'You have to go through the store you bought it from for that'.

Merc isn't going anywhere. I can make peace with a discount or a replacement neck. Those seem two fair options.

As an apology they better send me a flamed replacement neck. :roll:
Hmmm. I've only ever dealt with smaller manufacturers with stuff like this and I've never had a complaint; Burns and Danelectro have treated me extremely well in the past (though it certainly helped that Burns' management are in the UK, and I think at the time I had to deal with a Dano issue their UK distribution was handled by John Hornby Skewes, which certainly helps). Fender (US) might refer you back to the store and/or their distributor (if that's not who you got in touch with in the first place) but if you continue to have no joy getting your concerns dealt with, I don't think it looks at all good for them if their distributors or trusted retailers are playing silly buggers with customers ordering expensive guitars. So I'd keep pushing and even if they've tried fobbing you off, any unsatisfactory service you get from the other sources, refer it back to Fender. This is where their status as one of the biggest guitar manufacturers in the world can be both a blessing and a curse, with you being too insignificant to deal with initially, to being able to levy a huge amount of influence to resolve the issues if they happen to take it upon themselves to do so.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

The guy from the shop on the phone kept going back to the scratches on the input jack and toggle switch and that i had to make sure it wasn't the plastic wrap, try removing it.

The fuck dude.

He said he would send it on to the guitar department for a close look.

I'm talking about a HOLE in the fretboard. On a new guitar. That i paid full price for. Do you not see it ? Everyone here sees it don't they.

Kind of getting pissed.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

I know neither are what you want but they've offered a full refund or to fix the issues? I don't think Fender are likely to think the shop's messing you about if that's the case.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

They offered €50 off, then they offered €75 off, i told them i'd think about it and get back to them.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I dunno, if you were reselling it you’d probably be more than €75 out due to the damage.

Email Fender directly with the photos and the serial number/shop you bought it from. They’ll get back to you within a day and will probably help you out getting a replacement through their warranty program.

Also let the shop know you’re contacting a fender directly and that you’ll be passing on the serial number. If the shop have mis-sold you a b-stock guitar that they’ve already gotten a partial refund for they’ll shit their pants. Fender will not be happy either.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

That's exactly what i've done yes. Waiting on response.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

As i want to be done with the BS dealing with shop headaches ...and i'm keeping it

Thomastik jazz swings went on yesterday.
Doing a full setup today.

Here's a few new unpleasant discoveries and i'm happy this thing is home with me now, no more Bax shop apes touching it.
I feel sorry for it.

The TI's are my favourite strings, i love how they feel, how they sound.
Going from the roundwounds that were on there to these feels like sinking into a comfy sofa instead of a weathered park bench.

It got late yesterday and was tired from work. Full setup today.
I did do a quick recording, all both pickups (middle), going from parallel to series from tapped bridge to untapped (not in that order, i don't remember, it was late).
That's 4 different sounds instantly by a switch or a push of a button.

I removed the neck pickup and cover to easily get the pickguard off, the fingerboard sticks out over the pickguard.
When i took a closer look at the pickup covers i saw some ape changed the height of the bridge pickup and did this.
I didn't notice it before, perhaps because the strings were on or i never looked at it from that angle. You can barely see it from the top.

Just that side.

Then i took a look at the bridge...and saw the intonation screws

...yeah.

These are things someone would cause on their first guitar, not knowing 'ooh this screw is tiiiight i wonder why' (loosen the string you sod).
Or someone who just doesn't care and is in a hurry.

Same with the pickup adjustment, aid it a little in moving and watch out because that plastic doesn't like a screwdriver rubbing against its side.

Put a subtle bend in the trem arm, nothing too crazy. Same curvature as i put on my CV jazz.
Tightened the collet screw. It's a nice feature.
I've deciced to keep the arm on when it's stored. It's not like it's all the way pushed down when in the case, just touches to top.

Oh and i slanted the toggle switch for comfy switching in playing position. :wink:

Now, all negatives aside, i am truly happy i pulled the trigger on one.
Yes, the way this all went was less than ideal..or fair. But it's here. And i'm really enjoying it. It's a tool, a tool to make music, technically it does everyhting it has to do. I am impressed with its versatility.

I do however miss SAFETIPOST tuners. <3
But i'll get used to the 'strings through' again.