Ear Protection

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Ear Protection

Post by Bacchus »

I'm getting to the point where it's becoming more and more obvious that my job and post times are impacting my hearing. Tinnitus seems inevitable if I continue the way I'm going, and I've yet to read a positive review for tinnitus...

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of Earasers ( http://www.earasers.shop/collections/e ... rs-pro-kit )

Before I do, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or other recommendations? I'd heard in the past that off the shelf protection was kind of a false economy and that you are much, much better getting something fitted for your ears. I think I'd like to try a solution around the £50 mark before spending serious cash.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Re: Ear Protection

Post by plopswagon »

What?
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I keep meaning to get a custom molded pair, but in terms of "off the rack" stuff I've found Vic Firth plugs to be the most effective, and they're only about £20. I do have tinnitus lol, but my doctor assures me it was caused by stress, not by hearing damage.

Intrigued to see how you get along with the Earasers!
NickS

Post by NickS »

I'm a cheapskate so I did a bit of checking reviews and bought these from The Great Satan.
(I'm not sure where they are right now.)
Personal pronouns he/him
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Ordered. Feeling a little disgusted at having spent money on making things not louder.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Arrived today. Seem to work, but the only reference I have is a purring cat (blocked out) and my wife (not blocked out). So far, so good.

Going to a gig on Saturday night so will get a chance to try them there.
NickS

Post by NickS »

I tried out the ones I bought (above) at the last couple of jams, and found they reduced volume without cutting out too much of the high frequencies.
Personal pronouns he/him
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I tend to just use the ones from Amazon (mainly because I lose them all the time). I think they’re about £12. I think they’re the same as the ones above (they look essentially identical) and come with 2 sets.

*edit* I just checked and they’re actually the same brand. They come with different little bits for different db cutting too. I checked on Amazonk and they still sell them. £18 now tho.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0 ... UTF8&psc=1