Eq pedals

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

dezb1
The Oppressor

Eq pedals

Post by dezb1 »

Been using my Harly benton eq 100 for a while (get an eq pedal people) and decided to up grade to the real deal £76 for a Boss GE-7 - not sure what I though the difference would be but there's absolutely none so the Boss is going back tomorrow... some times you don't get what you pay for.
XY
NickS

Re: Eq pedals

Post by NickS »

I bought a Beta Aivin/Harley Benton BEQ-1 a while back and took it apart to see what the difference was. Boss use op-amps with a slightly better noise spec but you're probably not going to notice.
Personal pronouns he/him
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I'd imagine the buffer, build quality and noise floor on the Boss is improved over the HB, but if there's no problem for you, it's an easy decision!

I'd give them an A/B before a dirt pedal to see more exaggerated picture of what's going on, although I guess it's a moot point if you're not using it this way.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
paul_

Post by paul_ »

In my experience the little bit extra any Boss compact has over some cheap plastic pedal is not sounding like noise-interferencey dogshit on a pedalboard with a universal power supply.
Having said that, literally none of my Boss pedals made it onto my last pedalboard, but 2 Behringers and a Dano Mini did. I can't actually be arsed to lug out the pedalboard most of the time now anyway so it doesn't matter.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

NickS wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:06 am I bought a Beta Aivin/Harley Benton BEQ-1 a while back and took it apart to see what the difference was. Boss use op-amps with a slightly better noise spec but you're probably not going to notice.
Will a direct swap of OP amps work? They cost like a couple of bucks. Two minutes with a soldering iron and you're golden
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

I think EQ pedals are going to be the new thing(I realise everyone has probably used one before me but) I keep seeing Youtube videos about how great they are and have started using one on my M9 and I must say using one first just makes the guitar sound better. I just bought a cheap 10 band graphic eq last night to free up a spot on the m9

I've also started using compression after the eq....I have no idea what is going on anymore!
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Hurb wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:55 am I think EQ pedals are going to be the new thing(I realise everyone has probably used one before me but) I keep seeing Youtube videos about how great they are and have started using one on my M9 and I must say using one first just makes the guitar sound better. I just bought a cheap 10 band graphic eq last night to free up a spot on the m9

I've also started using compression after the eq....I have no idea what is going on anymore!
You've changed!
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Bacchus wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:04 am
Hurb wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:55 am I think EQ pedals are going to be the new thing(I realise everyone has probably used one before me but) I keep seeing Youtube videos about how great they are and have started using one on my M9 and I must say using one first just makes the guitar sound better. I just bought a cheap 10 band graphic eq last night to free up a spot on the m9

You've changed!

chasing the TONE
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

It IS hilarious how bogged down in the minutiae we all get around strings, pickups, etc. when a single pedal can make such a difference. I guess very little about guitar hobbying is rational, though.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Doog wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:05 am I'd imagine the buffer, build quality and noise floor on the Boss is improved over the HB, but if there's no problem for you, it's an easy decision!

I'd give them an A/B before a dirt pedal to see more exaggerated picture of what's going on, although I guess it's a moot point if you're not using it this way.
Had them running into and out of my Big muff, HM-2 and SD-1 with no difference in the noise was actually quite shocked by the outcome. As there was fair difference with my HM-2and the Behringer clone... but I now have £76 to spend on something else.

Ps: was the old HB eq in the Boss style housing.
XY
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

Doog wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:33 am
It IS hilarious how bogged down in the minutiae we all get around strings, pickups, etc. when a single pedal can make such a difference. I guess very little about guitar hobbying is rational, though.
I have a friend who recently started learning guitar and he wanted to know what type of guitar he should buy for playing stoner doom in his house, he thought the sound was all about the wood, pickups etc, and was surprised when I told him that that stuff doesn't really matter much when your putting it into an effects pedal/amp. Also, tried not to get him down the dark path of buying tons of expensive equipment to tweak/perfect your sound when you're playing to an audience of one in your own house.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

I just recently dug my Boss GE-7 out of my pedal graveyard. I'd been chasing a mid-heavy distortion sound, and I went through a few different things to try and get it til I remembered I had an EQ pedal that could give me that hump in the first place. And it did. It's funny coz I bought it along with a LS-2 from Cash Converters absolutely ages ago simply because they were selling them for something absurd like £15 each, but I only really wanted the Line Selector, so I gave the EQ to my brother and basically forgot about it. Then I bought a cheap Super Overdrive on eBay and that's basically become my current "sound": GE-7 into the SD-1. I feel like I've gone full circle. I even bagged a Stone Deaf PDF-1X shortly before that which cost more than those two pedals together, which I really do love, but my crush on the GE-7>SD-1 combo hasn't abated yet.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Doog wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:33 am It IS hilarious how bogged down in the minutiae we all get around strings, pickups, etc. when a single pedal can make such a difference. I guess very little about guitar hobbying is rational, though.
I won’t use an eq pedal that doesn’t have *amber*
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
NickS

Post by NickS »

plopswagon wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:46 pm I won’t use an eq pedal that doesn’t have *amber*
I'm sure you could get the slider knobs in that colour now. People are offering them 3D printed in various colours.
Personal pronouns he/him
NickS

Post by NickS »

sunshiner wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:20 am
NickS wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:06 am I bought a Beta Aivin/Harley Benton BEQ-1 a while back and took it apart to see what the difference was. Boss use op-amps with a slightly better noise spec but you're probably not going to notice.
Will a direct swap of OP amps work? They cost like a couple of bucks. Two minutes with a soldering iron and you're golden
It's not like the difference between 741s and 5534s for noise (which transformed my old HH solid state amps), and it's quite possible that most of the noise is from the resistors. The BEQ-1 uses surface mount.
http://www.shortscale.org/viewtopic.php?p=1295422
Personal pronouns he/him
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Gavin wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:59 am I have a friend who recently started learning guitar and he wanted to know what type of guitar he should buy for playing stoner doom in his house, he thought the sound was all about the wood, pickups etc, and was surprised when I told him that that stuff doesn't really matter much when your putting it into an effects pedal/amp. Also, tried not to get him down the dark path of buying tons of expensive equipment to tweak/perfect your sound when you're playing to an audience of one in your own house.
I know a guy who was really serious about buying a Rickenbaker with an AC30. That's quite a unique combination(especially with alnico blues) soundwise which is probably the hardest to nail without the real things, but I doubt he knows that because his knowledge about guitars, effects and amps is very basic. He's under the impression that you can't nail the sound of the sixties without equipment which costs less than $2000-$3000. I tried to talk him out of it saying that a Squier or a Harley Benton with $100 worth of cheap Chinese pedals into any cheap clean amp will cover him more ground of the 60s sounds than a Rickenbacker with an AC30 but he was listening to me incredulously and I decided to let him has his own experience of spending a fortune to end up with a squier and a pedalboard
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

NickS wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:31 pm
sunshiner wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:20 am
It's not like the difference between 741s and 5534s for noise (which transformed my old HH solid state amps), and it's quite possible that most of the noise is from the resistors. The BEQ-1 uses surface mount.
http://www.shortscale.org/viewtopic.php?p=1295422
I hoped it was an easy swap. I had an EHX LPB1 booster that I wanted to mod because I wanted it to be more transparent through a dark sounding amp. Opened it and it was all SMD. Closed it back.
NickS

Post by NickS »

The BEQ-1 and the EQ-100 share the same PCB, only some passive components are changed to give different frequency bands. The Boss GE-7 uses TL022 dual op-amps for the bandpass filters while the EQ-100/BEQ-1 uses 4558s for everything.
Personal pronouns he/him
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Ugly eq is ugly. Seems noise free though and does the job.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Hurb wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:27 am
Bacchus wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:04 am
You've changed!

chasing the TONE
You’ll be BUILDING amps before long.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"