Home guitar-time setups

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Re: Home guitar-time setups

Post by Bacchus »

I think you can get dongle things for fuck all, but I'd probably go for one the Behringer interfaces.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

There's a lot more budget audio interfaces, i bought a komplete audio one last year for €77 and it's been doing what i need it to do.

I have one of those behringer 1/4 jack to usb dongles and an m audio firewire solo, firewire is dead and the usb dongle ..while cheap..for a little bit more you can have something more decent.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

It's crazy how much things have changed. I still use my Presonus Firebox, which was brilliant value at the time, has really nice preamps, and is 6in, 10out. But FireWire is becoming harder and harder to use thanks to Apple.

A Behringer is almost definitely an upgrade that I should make.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

For couch playing I usually use a Blackstar Superfly, sometimes with a Cuvave Cube Baby in front of it.
lorez

Post by lorez »

i've an old lexicon audio interface sat spare I'm happy to pass on cheap if anyone could make use of it? its perfect for instruments, midi and micsand used it for years until I bought the presonus to use with the eurorack
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
NickS

Post by NickS »

Bacchus wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:15 pm I think you can get dongle things for fuck all, but I'd probably go for one the Behringer interfaces.
Also consider the Presonus Audiobox 96, lower latency than the Behringer UMC202HD according to JamKazam and £72 at Absolute Music. Similar price range but also has MIDI in/out - don't know what for, the manual isn't clear on that.
Full disclosure: I have the Behringer UMC202HD but if I were buying now it would be the Presonus.
Personal pronouns he/him
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I think M-Audio also do something at that end of the market now. I had a pupil alert me to it when asking what they could get.

Hard to recommend something. M-Audio used to only make good stuff as I remember, so seeing them trying to out-Behringer Behringer is weird somehow. I reckon Behringer win that fight.
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

So, there's basically still nothing in the wee USB dongle area. Cannae be bothered with a desktop type thing that needs a power supply.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Bacchus wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:15 pm I think you can get dongle things for fuck all
kim wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:33 pm I have one of those behringer 1/4 jack to usb dongles
Gavin wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:33 pm So, there's basically still nothing in the wee USB dongle area. Cannae be bothered with a desktop type thing that needs a power supply.

ah, yeh, you're right, such a thing can't be found
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

Yeah, but I meant one that isn't horrible and terrible. I googled the behringer one and a lot of reviews saying the drivers aren't supported anymore and how noisy and shite it is.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

me and Kim use a komplete audio 1

pretty cheap and canny
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I don't know about the senior models but the cheapest Uforia from Behringer has audio resolution of 16 bit which as I understand it is suitable for podcasting but not for music recording, so be careful with that one.

Older interfaces from Maudio and Focusrite can be found used relatively cheap, but I don't know whether they still get drivers updated for them
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I've been using an M-Audio 'M-Track II' interface I bought on sale at MAPLINS for like £50 6 years ago, to play/record both guitar and/or vocals into both Mac and Windows. Zero probs, apart from maybe needing to install ASIO4ALL drivers on Windows, it's been a while.

Sounds like drivers and/or config were the source of your issues, Gav.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
lorez

Post by lorez »

Gavin wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:33 pm So, there's basically still nothing in the wee USB dongle area. Cannae be bothered with a desktop type thing that needs a power supply.
the lexicon I mentioned is usb powered
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

Audient make pretty sweet stuff for the money, i considered their ID4 (that Sono tho !), i went with the komplete audio 1 instead to save money and it does the job.

As for dongles, those Irig things seem to get good reviews but it will be a compromise (aka getting less bang for your buck but having something very small and also more proprietary crap to accept)
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

lorez wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:37 am
the lexicon I mentioned is usb powered

A lot of them draw power over USB B or newer USB C
NickS

Post by NickS »

I just tried my Rocksmith (Ubisoft) USB dongle interface into Reaper on my Windows 10 laptop using ASIO4all, buffer size 256, ASIO configured output to Realtek HD audio and latency was acceptable for noodling. I don't know what class-compliant chip they use.
Yeah, the two boxes I mentioned are USB powered.
Personal pronouns he/him
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

Cool, ok. Maybe I'll pickup a komplete then if it's powered by usb.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Gavin wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:26 pm Cool, ok. Maybe I'll pickup a komplete then if it's powered by usb.
certainly is.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

You shouldn’t have show-stopping latency in this day and age if your software is configured correctly/computer isn’t a busted-ass Atari. Try different sample rates.

I can use one of these into Ableton/GB/Logic without issue. I also have an M-Audio M-Track Quad but I usually only use that for USB-MIDI synth gear and mic-ing up drums.
3CB12ACE-AB9E-466F-A44A-92D779599522.png
3CB12ACE-AB9E-466F-A44A-92D779599522.png (2.24 MiB) Viewed 1449 times
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"