Home guitar-time setups

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Re: Home guitar-time setups

Post by Gavin »

Ok, I take the word of paul_ over some amazon review creeps, so I've ordered one of them.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

Which one did you go with?

I have that behringer dongle from wayyy back still.
Haven't used it in ages but might dig it up to compare.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

By the way yesterday evening I blasted my amp as much as I could. I was strumming quietly on the acoustic when my neignbour started drilling the wall. It wasn't the first time he starts drilling a few minutes after I start playing anything. I pulled my humble rig out of its dusty corner, set it up properly and gave a half an hour punk concert. Didn't hear any drilling afterwards. I'm playing acoustic for your sake, you cunt. You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

sunshiner wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:29 am You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
and there's my first tattoo
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

kim wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:10 am Which one did you go with?

Yeah, I got the behringer dongle doodah.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Doog wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:53 am
sunshiner wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:29 am You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
and there's my first tattoo
Sounds to me more like an acoustic-folksy-I-don't-have-a-girlfriend-anymore type act crossed with early noughties nu-metal.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

"drown in shit, rest in peas"
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

Gavin wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:13 pm
kim wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:10 am Which one did you go with?

Yeah, I got the behringer dongle doodah.
Got it today. Tried it out for a few mins and latency seems fine. I got an email notification while playing at one point which seemed to add a bit of latency, but otherwise was good.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

My usual setup at home for quiet practice/recording is the Kemper. I also have an FRFR powered wedge fur it if I want more oomph. I can use it with any of my software or standalone if I’m not using the PC/Mac.

For recording I have one of those Behringer 18-20 things in my rack. I use that so all my analogue synth stuff is always set up/connected. Essentially just bought for the Number of inputs and the fact it will take a digital line direct from the Kemper.

I also have one of those Helix Stomp things for when I’m travelling or if I want to practice with headphones or if I’m chilling in the bedroom. As ever with Line6 stuff the sheer amount of fx and stuff is crazy for a small box so the bang fur your buck is there, but it has the usual limitations. Everything has a processed sound and the amp models are pretty ass. You have to really fuck about with them to get a decent sound.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Thomas wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:35 pm I also have one of those Helix Stomp things for when I’m travelling or if I want to practice with headphones or if I’m chilling in the bedroom. As ever with Line6 stuff the sheer amount of fx and stuff is crazy for a small box so the bang fur your buck is there, but it has the usual limitations. Everything has a processed sound and the amp models are pretty ass. You have to really fuck about with them to get a decent sound.
In live use, I found it too easy to catch two switches at once. As it was someone else's HX stomp (house band at the jam) I had no idea what that did...
Personal pronouns he/him
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

There is that as well. I only really see this as something you’d use if you wanted a spare setup in your pedal bag (if you don’t need complicated switching) or at home.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

Ooh i've been looking at those Kempers since a few years ago
MattK

Post by MattK »

Not a lot
Last edited by MattK on Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

kim wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:12 am Ooh i've been looking at those Kempers since a few years ago
They are so fucking expensive but they are REALLY good.

To be fair in a mix you’d struggle to spot any difference in the sound of most decent modellers. Transport, gigging and the connection options are the other standout features. The thing is, I also want something that when I’m just writing or playing I want something that sounds fucking great. I can use my fave Twin profile on the Kemper or my actual Twin as happily as each other in that regard. I can’t say the same for the Helix.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

I wish IK multimedia (amplitube) would team up with an amp manufacturer (Kemper ?!), not iRig, so you could transfer setup builds from PC/MAC to the amp.
Use the amp and fx packs you got and all.
I absolutely love their fender, mesa and orange packs plus all those cab, speaker, mic, routing tweaks you can do.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

kim wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:44 pmiRig
I bought one of these about 8-9 years ago (I think) but routinely forget I have it until someone mentions them. It's quite handy for mooching about the house playing (you just plug your guitar and headphones into the wee plug thingy and then plug that into your phone). It works via the headphone socket so doesn't work with my current iPhone but I've got an old iPhone 6 so use that. I presume there must be an updated version that works with current phones.

Can't say I've ever really gelled with it though tbh. I know lots of people really rate the Amplitube stuff but it's never clicked with me for some reason. So I put it away and forget about it for a year or two until someone mentions them...
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

Stock amplitube is decent but the magic lies in the manufacturer amp packs.

I've tried guitar rig and i'd like to get to know it better but i've been so used to amplitube i'm lazy and don't want to learn more different software.
Still learning in fl studio producer, reaper and superior drummer, it's a lot but it's wonderful stuff.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

Any of you who own a nux mighty plug, fender mustang micro ?

I'm getting a little bit of a craving for an affordable but decent headphone amp.
None of them sound fantastic, i don't expect it, but they've come a long way and it's nice to have for practicality really.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Up until a few weeks ago the girls shared the big bedroom (we were in the second and the third was an office/music/craft/junk room), but they just got to the point where they wanted their own rooms (which was always the plan when they were old enough). So we are now in the big room and after a lot of moving stuff around for the past few weeks, today I “finished” my corner of our new bedroom. Had some old bathroom shelves in the garage which fit pretty well and I’m liking the fact I can have my 2 pedalboards ready but tidied away. I don’t tend to play much after the girls are in bed so it’s never very quiet practice for me. Just need to get the guitars off the rack and onto the wall and fill the taller shelves with all my cables and spare pedals etc.

kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

i have that same narrow bamboo rack in my bathroom.

I'd keep an eye on the one holding the amps, presume the weight isn't thát heavy but it'd make me nervous :P

I'm very happy i got that mustang micro, FANTASTIC little gizmo for just grabbing a guitar, headphones and noodling a bit or playing along or just quick recording to pc.

Still need to figure out the lag though, because recording i don't notice it playing, but then i need to nudge the done recording to match metronome or drums again. Using asio4all and shortest buffer.
Using the headphones out of the micro when recording there's no lag either on recording or playback.

This year, i'm investing in a kemper stage, haven't seen any store with stock and on the kemper site they are priced €100 higher.