2021: A Year in Gear

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

lorez

Re: 2021: A Year in Gear

Post by lorez »

Nick wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:49 pm Ad one last minute Realistic Concertmate (MOOG) MG-1, facebook marketplace score last night for $200. Needs the usual stuff but it works and sounds killer, I'm in love with it!
nice score
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Great score!! Those are great. They sound just like the Rogue for a fraction of the cost. I love the styling of them.
MattK

Post by MattK »

I had a year of low financial worries and high job stress. Result: bought a lot of shit.
Guitars:
85 Fender Japan Tele TL43
83 Squier Japan JV SST50 Strat
68 Yamaha SA15
2019 Gretsch Streamliner (cheap, to flip)

Basses:
87 Fender Japan P Bass (dirt cheap due to a 5 string hack job, since restored)
2 x SX Jazz Basses (will combine the best parts into 1 and then sell or give away the other)
1974 Greco JB-420 (still on its way to me)
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Huh.
This made me realize that the only thing I've bought this year has been strings and a new drum throne.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Got some Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pros for Christmas.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
lorez

Post by lorez »

BearBoy wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:47 am Got some Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pros for Christmas.
very nice, I've been considering getting some new studio headphones, how do you find them?
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

We've been away so haven't had much time to play with them yet. First impressions, for what they're worth: they bring out a lot of detail, feel sturdy and well built, are comfortable. Not sure they sound as "nice" to my ears as the Sennheisers I use for general listening (not as warm, less bass) but I guess they're not really designed to sound "nice" so much as "accurate".

Being open backed, they also leak a fair bit of noise so might not be ideal for recording vocals (think the 770s would be better suited to that). I've not tried yet though so not really sure how much my mic would pick up and whether it would really be an issue.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I wouldn't stress too much about leakage from open back headphones. It's actually more common than you'd think for people to track vocals in the control room with no headphones and the monitors blaring. David Byrne and Bono definitely both do it, and I'm sure I read something about Prince doing it too. If it's good enough for Eno, it's good enough for me.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Leakage = rocknroll
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
lorez

Post by lorez »

I managed to pick up 2 9u rack mount cases for £10 off gumtree so now adding a couple of things to put in them. so I've bought a new behringer eurorack case to put my eurorack gear into to fit in to it (thinned out a lot of my modules recently and will sell the bigger eurorack case), a behringer patchbay and the behringer 2600. Also looking at rack shelves so I can put my audio interface in to the rack as well as potentially getting some rack ears for the crave. Not sexy purchases but stuff that helps clear up space and organises things.

I also now realise with the patchbay I probably need to buy a lot of cable and connectors so I can get everything patched in and ready to use. Has anyone used a patchbay with their guitar pedals before? If so any tips?
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Freddy V-C wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:14 pm I wouldn't stress too much about leakage from open back headphones. It's actually more common than you'd think for people to track vocals in the control room with no headphones and the monitors blaring. David Byrne and Bono definitely both do it, and I'm sure I read something about Prince doing it too. If it's good enough for Eno, it's good enough for me.
Yeah, given the shoddy as fuck deliberately lo-fi aesthetic of my recording process, I doubt it'll bother me. Just thought it worth mentioning in case other people are more meticulous with their recordings than Prince and I am :D
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

plopswagon wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:23 pm Leakage = rocknroll
This is what Keith Richards tells the nurses.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Freddy V-C wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:14 pm I wouldn't stress too much about leakage from open back headphones. It's actually more common than you'd think for people to track vocals in the control room with no headphones and the monitors blaring. David Byrne and Bono definitely both do it, and I'm sure I read something about Prince doing it too. If it's good enough for Eno, it's good enough for me.
Also Kirk for the Can I Borrow A Feeling? In Utero sessions
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

He misses the comfort in being sad
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I Hate Myself And I Don't Like The Idea Of Milhouse Having Two Spaghetti Meals In One Day
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

:lol:
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Doog wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:14 pm I Hate Myself And I Don't Like The Idea Of Milhouse Having Two Spaghetti Meals In One Day
Lol

Miss you mate - was lovely to hear you on SPY while I was soldering the other day. You did great!
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Mike wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:23 pm
Doog wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:14 pm I Hate Myself And I Don't Like The Idea Of Milhouse Having Two Spaghetti Meals In One Day
Lol

Miss you mate - was lovely to hear you on SPY while I was soldering the other day. You did great!
Miss you too, mate! Will one day get back to bonnie Scotland to see you and the fam x

Haha, I couldn't listen to it back all the way through because of the CRINGE it induced in me; Dave fucking dunked on me in the first 10 seconds as I was nervous verbalising everything I was doing, and my questions were really dulllllllll. Live and learn, eh!
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Doog wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:47 pm
Mike wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:23 pm
Lol

Miss you too, mate! Will one day get back to bonnie Scotland to see you and the fam x

Haha, I couldn't listen to it back all the way through because of the CRINGE it induced in me; Dave fucking dunked on me in the first 10 seconds as I was nervous verbalising everything I was doing, and my questions were really dulllllllll. Live and learn, eh!
No WAY you did great with the whole Bob Hoskins is next door, does he know he's dead stuff - thought you came across pretty pretty good

Much better than I would I'm sure - monologuing all other the shop!
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

In:

Dano 66BT RI Baritone
D'angelico Premier Singlecut
Kramer Pacer
EHX HOG2 and accoutrements
Variety of GFS pickups to try out in my Jazzmaster

Out:
Cheap ES335 Copy