Incoming NPD and advice needed

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Thomas

Incoming NPD and advice needed

Post by Thomas »

So after saying on here The other day that I’d like to get a couple of pedals for a small board together I find myself in a fortunate situation. I was video chatting with a friend last night, the usual catch up type stuff. He’s a musician, mainly production based abs does EVERYTHING on computer. Doesn’t own an amp or anything. Guitars, mics, piano, keyboard and PC. He said his wife’s family had given him a bag of pedals and he has no interest so I can have them if I want them. I said I’d gladly take them if he was sure he didn’t want them, or didn’t want to sell them. He said he’d send a photo today and I could pick them up when I dropped off his wee daughters Xmas gift this week. I fully expected a couple of Rokteks or something. He sent this photo:
► Show Spoiler
Now for the assistance part. Is that pedal on the right one of the ones that can be modded?
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Re: Incoming NPD and advice needed

Post by Hurb »

yes it can be modded with the jetpack mods for spacestation lolz
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Hurb wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:59 pm yes it can be modded with the jetpack mods for spacestation lolz
Yuuss! Is it fairly easy to do? Got a link?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Ahhhh Whammy Wah one can’t be modded.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Thomas wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:13 pm Ahhhh Whammy Wah one can’t be modded.
Ah really? I thought all the xp ones could. Still cool though
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

All of them apart from that one 😂

Def still cool tho. Thanks man.

When I get them hopefully the pedals are clearly for their power needs. I don’t want to fry anything.
Last edited by Thomas on Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Nice. I've been thinking about digging out my EX-7 again recently. I don't really use it because of the weird power supply, but I remember liking it a lot when I did.
Thomas wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:40 pm naked fur power
Great album.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Yeah my dyspraxia and autocorrect are a mean combo 😂

I’ve also noticed since the board update that whenever I correct a word it sometimes keeps both versions or mashes them together.

I now need to get a pedalboard. I ordered one of those multi power adapters so hopefully I can get everything working. I’ve never actually owned any of these pedals before.
Last edited by Thomas on Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Hurb wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:36 pm Ah really? I thought all the xp ones could. Still cool though
Yeah the stuff I saw said it wasn’t compatible but folk selling the jet pack mod have it listed…. Maybe you can do the Jetpack mod, just not the basic chip swap.

UPDATE you can mod it if it’s the correct version, but have to add a few components, including the eprom socket and more ram.
Last edited by Thomas on Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Oh baby - how old's the Rat? Could be tempted if you're flipping...
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I dunno, I won’t be picking them up until tomorrow or Tuesday.

I’m unlikely to be moving the rat on (the switchable MBM version was my fave dirt pedal). Should I ever give it up you’ll be the first person to know.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

benecol wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:55 pm Oh baby - how old's the Rat? Could be tempted if you're flipping...
From what I’ve managed to glean from JHS Pedals history of the RAT video it seems to be an 87/88. Luckily this version has a distinctive decal. Classed as the RAT 2. Same pedal with an LED in it. So the actualThe version before the Turbo RAT (the first one where the audio circuit changed).
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Getting on for a grand's worth of pedals in that haul, I reckon (depending on DMM version).
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

benecol wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:26 am Getting on for a grand's worth of pedals in that haul, I reckon (depending on DMM version).
Really? Jesus. I know about pedal types but not really which versions are rare/valuable. U always knew that version of the Memory Man is meant to be the best one. I didn’t realise it’s crazy spendy.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Lot of crusty old pedals there. I've a nice, modern M5 going spare that I'll swap you for them? (plus some cash on your end, probably, to be honest).
benecol wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:26 am Getting on for a grand's worth of pedals in that haul, I reckon (depending on DMM version).
shhhhhh!
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

All big box DMMs are great - I miss mine a lot

EDIT just saw they go for £500-£800 these days WTF is going on
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Mike wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:33 am
EDIT just saw they go for £500-£800 these days WTF is going on

The real money is in the lack of fidelity lo-fi noizze. The awkward voltage and subsequent need for an extra power supply on your pedal board obviously adds increases the value

Prices on all sorts of stuff is crazy just now. Japanese guitars (especially offsets) are selling for just about the same amount as US ones too.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I picked these up tonight. The RAT appears to be made out of pig iron abs weighs a ton.

I ordered a power supply that’s coming tomorrow but the RAT and reverb use those weird 3.5mm headphone Jack type connectors so I dunno if I’m going to be able to power them or if it’ll have enough juice for the memory man 😂

I also checked the XP100 whammy-wah and it is the type that can be modded. So I’ll need to look into that properly.

I also noticed that the chorus/vibrato switch was knocked in. Luckily the legs on the switch box gave out rather than the screws or threads so I managed to rebuild it.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Mike wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:33 am All big box DMMs are great - I miss mine a lot
Mike, do you happen to remember what polarity it was? I’m getting conflicting info online abs don’t want to fry it.

EDIT it’s 24vdc, 100mA, center positive. Abs the Holy grail needs a:

US9DC-500. 9vdc, 500mA, 3.5mm plug with positive tip (same as the RAT and I can do that on my power supply.

Out of the 4 pedals the Rat is the only one that actually stated it’s polarity. What a pain in the tits.

If anyone happens to know the digitech let me know.
Last edited by Thomas on Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

benecol wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:55 pm Oh baby - how old's the Rat? Could be tempted if you're flipping...

Rat Pot code dates it to ‘88. 4th and 5th number apparently. It sounds MONSTROUS.