2022 gear goals

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Nick
Y'SEE!?

2022 gear goals

Post by Nick »

Similar to the 2021 thread-I always find myself taking inventory at the start of a new year, and thinking about what might be either redundant or missing. Anyone else have any gear goals for the new year?

I think Im good for guitars and basses, I have a few old project guitars that need refretting, that I may try to fix and flip. Otherwise I’m exercising a 1 in 1 out of equal value policy, or two out if not an even trade. Basically, no new money in guitars for 2022.

Amps….I need to sell the Peavey, and probably my Roland keyboard amp and a few little practice amps I’ve acquired. I want to get a second PPC112 to make a little full Orange stack for my OR15.

Pedals- feeling a bit stale, had the same things on my board for a long time and may need to shake it up. Had my eye on red panda context for a while, as well as the Teisco delay. Maybe I’ll finally order some pedals from shortscale builders proper, I also may try to pick up some standard dirt pedals I don’t have like a tube screamer, rat, SD-1.

Synths/keys. I’ve preemptively started selling off some things because I know I’m not really happy. Sold my Nord Electro and Crumar Orchestrator, and have my CZ-5000 up for sale for now. One thing I really would like for 2022 is a Farfisa Compact. I still have a Yamaha YC-30 shaped hole in my heart but tbh, as good as that sounded it still wasn’t a farf. I’ll probably also buy the slider kit to refurbish the MG-1 I just picked up. Other than that, just going to see what comes along locally and keep an open mind.
BearBoy

Re: 2022 gear goals

Post by BearBoy »

Guitars/basses - I'm probably good tbh but might be tempted if Fender bring out anything nice for the Jag's 60th anniversary (or Squier do anything kewl). Still looking for my ideal baritone...
Amps - would like a Princeton (have done for ages) but realistically not sure how much I really need another real amp. Might opt for some sort of IR/modelling pedal instead.
Pedals - have too many but will almost certainly buy more.
Synths - Behringer Poly D. Maybe a Roland TR-8S. Quite like the look of the Korg OpSix too (especially if they announce the rumoured SE version), although not sure I'll be able to get my head around FM.
Studio stuff - keep meaning to get something like a Sennheiser e906 to record my amps but might not really need it (see above). My vocal mic has got a bit temperamental so might need to replace that. Probably some more cables etc to tidy up my plumbing. Would like a Behringer X-Touch, or similar, but very much a "nice to have", rather than a "need".

TBH I really need to focus more on doing some actual recording, rather than buying more gear :roll:
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Depending on how the new band goes, I can see myself trying to pick another amp for stereo goodness. Would fancy something darkish sounding, or possibly Marshall. Maybe one of the Bugeras.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I’d like to get a decent pedalboard put together, with a more carefully curated board than I’ve put together previously. I aim to continue to cut down guitars, replacing multiples with something a bit more special wherever possible. As far as stuff I’d like to acquire, maybe a ebony 355 or a LP Custom (maybe a husk project) if I can find one that I like.

I need to get my old Twin serviced too.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

I'm gonna play with some Drivemaster pedals. Well, I'm gonna make some Drivemaster pedals.

And build some parallel mixer boxes to do some more interesting things with delays, reverbs and dirt.
euan
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Every time I watch one of Jordan’s youtoobs or see one of Thomas’s pedal resets I think I need more pedals, I don’t think I’ve bought anything outside a tuner in years.

I also keep thinking of trading my Twin for a Deluxe, I don’t think I need that much amp.

But really, this
BearBoy wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:10 pmTBH I really need to focus more on doing some actual recording, rather than buying more gear :roll:
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

I think I'm going to continue thinning down. Last year I got rid of 5 guitars I didn't play much, and I don't miss them at all. I think I can lose 2 more (currently got 7 electrics)...maybe 3, but then I'd probably be into the realms of guitars I know I would miss. I have the Jazzy partscaster I put together in the first lockdown which is a great guitar, and was an awesome project that kept me busy, but I just don't play it as much as my Am Pro. I also have 2 strats and I only ever play one of them. If I get rid of those two I'd like to pick up a 335 style guitar which I've been thinking about for a while.

In terms of amps, I'm certainly not going to get anything new. I could lose 1, but that could only really end up being the Princeton, which I don't want to do so I guess amps will remain static.

No doubt I'll buy and sell a bunch of pedals, but I'm going to try to keep as close to the one in one out rule as I can. I already have 7 earmarked for sale when I get time and motivation to photograph and list etc.
NickD

Post by NickD »

I kind of accidentally bought a Mapex drum kit for £20 today, so there’s that.

Otherwise, probably a Strat or Tele. Ideally I’d build one my self, but struggling to find a neck the size I’d want.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

£20 ??

My plan was to get my pedalboard sorted (my current psu is this old budget thomann brick one and it can't power the oceans 11), i'd like a smaller case and board for 6-7 pedals max.

Sell the Orange rocker 30 head, Ampeg svt 410 cab, some pedals that i don't use (digitech xp200, carl martin red repeat, MXR script blue box, behringer pitch shifter and digital delay, boss line selector)
Some of this stuff i've put up for sale locally multiple times with no reasonable offers.

Sell my 5 string Yamaha (BBN5II), perhaps the hondo II EG-502, perhaps the Squier CV Bass VI...
Get rid of some clutter (functional cables that i just don't use as i stick with my 'better' ones, i don' t need all these cables) and a bunch of other junk for giveaway.

Selling locally here in belgium is really difficult though, especially lefty instruments. Giveaway always goes fast here... :P

In guitars i'd rather thin it out a bit and stick with what i do use/has a purpose.

Basically less clutter/things i don't use taking up space.

My one confirmed gear goal for 2022, a Kemper Stage. Just the stage, basic. I love tinkering and want to get to know it, configure stuff.

So the pedalboard 'update' is gonna be for later.
NickD

Post by NickD »

kim wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:27 pm £20 ??
Yup, I’ve never seen one that cheap before. It doesn’t have any cymbals, or a bass drum pedal, but the rest is decent enough.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

yeah that's insane, series ? 4pc ?
NickD

Post by NickD »

kim wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:54 pm yeah that's insane, series ? 4pc ?
I think it’s 5 piece including the snare, but it’s not in front of me at the moment. I’m not sure on the series, there doesn’t seem to be anything to ID it apart from the Mapex badges. From the SLIPKNOT MOTHER FUCKER sticker on the bass drum it’s probably from somewhere around the early 2000s. It’s in a yellowish sparkle finish.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

NickD wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:37 pm
kim wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:54 pm yeah that's insane, series ? 4pc ?
I think it’s 5 piece including the snare, but it’s not in front of me at the moment. I’m not sure on the series, there doesn’t seem to be anything to ID it apart from the Mapex badges. From the SLIPKNOT MOTHER FUCKER MOTHER FUCKER sticker on the bass drum it’s probably from somewhere around the early 2000s. It’s in a yellowish sparkle finish.
like so ?
NickS

Post by NickS »

kim wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:56 pmlike so ?
My eyes!
Personal pronouns he/him
NickD

Post by NickD »

No, a much lighter shade, and a different badge.
81FB7625-A7AB-4430-B241-9D29CD508F6D.jpeg
81FB7625-A7AB-4430-B241-9D29CD508F6D.jpeg (2.16 MiB) Viewed 1947 times
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Custard sparkle.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

NickS wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:04 pm
kim wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:56 pmlike so ?
My eyes!

:P you're welcome

Thankfully it's more of a custard/champagne sparkle then. Oof.

Would've made more sense for someone only wanting £20 for it like: 'get it the fuck out of my siiiight please'
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Sparkle Ivory, how dare you support gay elephant poaching!
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
NickD

Post by NickD »

Bacchus wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:15 pm Custard sparkle.
A fair description.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Someone was probably giving up on their rocknroll dream. Well, one man's loss is another man's drum kit. A short time will pass and we will see NickD rocking the stadiums with his signature custard sparkle drums
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.