Decals and making 'em look good

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Decals and making 'em look good

Post by Rhysyrhys »

To compliment my lil machineheads thread I want to also do something about the decal on the headstock of this guitar.

It's by no means terrible, but up close it doesn't look like a decal on a factory build guitar. So my question is: Is there some way I can lacquer over this to get it to better meld with the rest of the guitar? Or maybe there's some sort of way I can replace it?

I'd love to get some reading material or insight on this stuff because so far I've not found much on the 'net.

Note: Sorry I left it so dusty but it kinda better outlines the edge of the decal, so I left it for the shot. Just got it out of the case today for the first time in over a year.
Attachments
IMG_2426.jpg
IMG_2426.jpg (503.24 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
Thomas

Re: Decals and making 'em look good

Post by Thomas »

The only real success I’ve had with a similar decal was by properly burying it in clear coat. It was on a partscaster I put together for one of my mates. It took a few of coats, the first one focusing around the decal to raise the level up at the edge of the decal a bit. Second and third coat to meld the layers. I don’t think I ever got it 100% flat. Tho the finish was shiny enough I didn’t need to wet sand it. That would have levelled it out.
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

Ok cool so I'm barking somewhat up the right tree!

I was going to get a few rattles of gloss coat for the body and graduating grains of grit and try to get a more glossy finish on the body, I'll add some more tins and see if I can attempt something similar.

Similar to you I was thinking I could shoot up the decal with a few thin layers first, light sand if needs be and then progressively work layers onto the headstock.

Worst comes to worst I just sand the fucker down and start again... :)
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

nice idea, and i would love to hear how it turns out. the decal on my mustang is about the only thing i'd like to revisit at this point as it is just a water slide resting on top of the glossy headstock. at a distance, it's fine, but it does lack that sense of permanence up close.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

dots wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:28 pm nice idea, and i would love to hear how it turns out. the decal on my mustang is about the only thing i'd like to revisit at this point as it is just a water slide resting on top of the glossy headstock. at a distance, it's fine, but it does lack that sense of permanence up close.
Probably the wrong thread but I would probably also mask off and sand the fretboard area above the nut before clear coating the headstock