Amazon selling B-stock/returns as new?

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Thomas

Amazon selling B-stock/returns as new?

Post by Thomas »

I had decided to pick up a couple of those cheap Behringer pedals as I wanted a cheap vibrato to attach to my Orange amp as it doesn’t have one. I ended up buying on Amazon as o get free next/same day delivery and I can use the local Amazon drop off and return box.

I settled on the UV300 as it seems to get very good reviews and it’s only £16. The latch mode is super handy too. They also had the fuzz clone (SF300) for £20 in stock so I thought I’d finally give that a bash too. With an eye to trying a re-house project, just for fun if I like it at some point in the future. I do like fuzz but don’t really use it enough currently to justify an expensive pedal purchase. Especially as I’m trying to put together a cheap pedal board.

The first 2 that arrived were clearly not new, the internal packaging was stuck in under the pedals and one was missing the paperwork and also out of the internal packaging. So I reordered and sent them back. In the second order the fuzz was new, sealed inside etc, but the vibrato was again used, scratches on the side, sticker half peeled off the back. So that was returned replaced today and the new one is sealed as new.

I know it’s not really much of a surprise with Amazon as they have a pretty robust returns policy but I always thought their returns are never sold on the site. I’m wondering if they’re now selling B-stock stuff…

Sure it’s not a big deal if you’re only spending £36 but it’d certainly make me think twice about buying anything more spendy on there in the future. Probably not a bad thing. It made me think of Kim’s experience with her Jazzmaster where she seems to have received a possibly previously owned guitar.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Re: Amazon selling B-stock/returns as new?

Post by dots »

i'm not sure of what the laws are locally, but my understanding that most places (including Amazon) have regulations against selling used anything as new.

they all apparently struggle with enforcement of that policy when it comes to distributors, however. so much so that ebay (at least in the states) recently update their policies to eliminate "Refurbished by Owner" status in favor of anything not New (in box, etc) as "Used".

knowing also about how Amazon distribution works (anyone can by pallet or truck loads of stuff and sell it), it would come as no shock to learn returns are simply taken from one box upon receipt and put into another for shipment same day. the planet is awash in consumer products and plenty of people to push them onto buyers.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Given how "no questions asked" their returns policy is, I'm sure a lot of smaller shops selling via Amazon end up having to do this because the amount of piss people take; otherwise, they're just fucking EATING IT, profit margins-wise.

Passing the savings onto YOOOOOOU

The wonders of monopolies.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Yes, I could understand it from the point of view of a small company. Personally, I only buy from other sellers on Amazon if it’s a business/seller I know. Most of the private seller stuff on there is counterfeit, low quality stuff.

I usually but from anywhere but Amazon when I can, but the only place that had them in at the time only offered expensive shipping methods and they’re usually shit at sending stuff out in anything like a reasonable timeframe.

I’m a sucker for free shipping and I’m annoyingly impatient. That’s how they sucked me in 😂
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Doog wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:17 am Given how "no questions asked" their returns policy is, I'm sure a lot of smaller shops selling via Amazon end up having to do this because the amount of piss people take; otherwise, they're just fucking EATING IT, profit margins-wise.

Passing the savings onto YOOOOOOU

The wonders of monopolies.
You either build yourself a rocket or you don't. There are very few things in life that matter. Building a rocket matters.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Thomas wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:06 am I’m a sucker for free shipping and I’m annoyingly impatient. That’s how they sucked me in 😂
I hear you, man; same here.

sunshiner wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:59 am You either build yourself a rocket or you don't. There are very few things in life that matter. Building a rocket matters.
I hear you, man; same here.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit