Staytrem Tremolo Arm: Worth it?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

taylornutt

Staytrem Tremolo Arm: Worth it?

Post by taylornutt »

I have a CIJ J Mascis Jazzmaster and AVRI 62 Jaguar.

ImageUntitled by Joey, on Flickr

My AVRI arm flops and won't stay put.

My CIJ Jazzmaster also flops, but I did the "hammer" fix and it stays put for the most part.

I was wondering what everyone's experience with Staytrem Vibrato has been.

Is it worth it? Any downsides to it?

Thanks.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
BearBoy

Re: Staytrem Tremolo Arm: Worth it?

Post by BearBoy »

I've got one I installed on my MIJ Jaguar and my Johnny Marr Jaguar came with one. I've never tried any of the other "fixes" but the Staytrem works great.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Love that Jazzmaster btw.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I have one on my Japanese CAR Jag. It stays put and feels perfect. A worthy upgrade that saves a lot of fannying about.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

BearBoy wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:04 pm I've got one I installed on my MIJ Jaguar and my Johnny Marr Jaguar came with one. I've never tried any of the other "fixes" but the Staytrem works great.
For your MIJ Jaguar, did you get model that works on CIJ/MIJ Jaguars or did you upgrade to a AVRI?
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Thomas wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:15 pm I have one on my Japanese CAR Jag. It stays put and feels perfect. A worthy upgrade that saves a lot of fannying about.
That's good to know. I slightly bent my Jazzmaster arm and it did help, but I would prefer something more consistent.

My AVRI arm doesn't feel like its locking in anymore.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Had them on every offset I've had since STaytrem started doing them, and I think they're the best offset mod you can do.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

taylornutt wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:19 pm
BearBoy wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:04 pm I've got one I installed on my MIJ Jaguar and my Johnny Marr Jaguar came with one. I've never tried any of the other "fixes" but the Staytrem works great.
For your MIJ Jaguar, did you get model that works on CIJ/MIJ Jaguars or did you upgrade to a AVRI?
I got the one for CIJ/MIJ Jaguars. The feel of it was much improved without the slight give that was present before but I think the US unit on my JM Jag feels a bit better overall.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

benecol wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:51 pm Had them on every offset I've had since STaytrem started doing them, and I think they're the best offset mod you can do.
Thank you for the feedback.

Didn't Staytrem used to make a model for Mustangs?
NickD

Post by NickD »

Bear in mind that they don't (at least last time I heard) ship outside the UK. You'd need to ask someone to proxy for you.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

That was temporary Nick - back to global shipping.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Just to be Mr negative knickers. I have one in a avri trem I bought that I put on my black Jaguar.
I would go as far to say it's alright..not massive improvement over your hammer trick.
NickD

Post by NickD »

benecol wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:00 am That was temporary Nick - back to global shipping.
That's good. It was a shame that such a good product wasn't available to all, although I totally understand why.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Hurb wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:53 pm Just to be Mr negative knickers. I have one in a avri trem I bought that I put on my black Jaguar.
I would go as far to say it's alright..not massive improvement over your hammer trick.
Since I did the "Hammer trick" on the Jazzmaster, I might get one for the Jaguar so I can do a proper comparison.

I need to swap strings on the Jaguar so it would be perfect timing.

The vibrato arm on the Jag use to snap in audibly but it's flopping right now.

I have a spare AVRI vibrato for an upcoming build I was messing with and broke the collet teeth so I need to fix one of them.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Got 'em in my Jag and my JM; I like the slightly increased height on the bar and the "nothing is going to break/bend/fall-out" vibe that it offers.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Doog wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:21 pm Got 'em in my Jag and my JM; I like the slightly increased height on the bar and the "nothing is going to break/bend/fall-out" vibe that it offers.
It's funny you bring that up. I had emailed a question about that to the creator of the Staytrem and he was quite adamant that it was exactly the same height as the stock bar.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

taylornutt wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:21 pm
Doog wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:21 pm Got 'em in my Jag and my JM; I like the slightly increased height on the bar and the "nothing is going to break/bend/fall-out" vibe that it offers.
It's funny you bring that up. I had emailed a question about that to the creator of the Staytrem and he was quite adamant that it was exactly the same height as the stock bar.
Depends on stock unit, I guess? The Staytrem collet has a 'bottom', and I literally cannot push the bar down any further. Here it is vs. the stock Squier model (surf green VM Jag, obviously the assembly is sitting higher without the strings on):

► Show Spoiler
Obviously the spring tension setting will determine the height relative to the strings also, but it definitely is a taller collet-bar setup.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

http://staytrem.com/epages/950002362.s ... _insertion

This suggests it’s not all the way in on mine but.. what?! It feel like I’m going to bust the whole vibrato with any more pressure, I can’t believe it can get any lower?!
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

somebody's a little behind on their dusting.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

plopswagon wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:57 pm somebody's a little behind on their dusting.
Too busy bustin (riffs) to be dustin (diamond)

So, this all got my curiosity piqued so I did some INVESTIGATIVE SCIENCE:

I measured the true depth of the collet with this tiny wooden javelin:
► Show Spoiler

There's definitely more space to allow the lil' arm indentation to be flush with the collet rim in theory...
► Show Spoiler

However, I pushed with as much two-armed strength as I physically could, and this is still as low as it goes for me. Even just tried a wrapped hammer!
► Show Spoiler

Makes me wonder if I've got a mismatched arm and collet or something, I'm gonna email the Stayfella to see what he reckons.