NTPD -> New Tube Preamp Day? ART MP V3 in FX-Loop

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

NTPD -> New Tube Preamp Day? ART MP V3 in FX-Loop

Post by Rhysyrhys »

TL;DR I BOUGHT A 12AX7 TUBE MIC PREAMP N' I'M GONNA RUN IT IN THE EFFECTS LOOP FOR FUCKING _TONE_, MY GUY

I've been back on the whole guitar thing recently and asides from re-building a guitar and practicing with intent again, I've also been spending about 30mins - 1hr a day just being a gear nerd again.

The Line6 Helix LT is fucking awesome, I've had it for years but only really invested time in it over the last year or so, now I have 6-7 patches set up that I love and I think sound really warm/genuine. What I love is that you can continue to tweak forever because every pedal/block has an output gain, so that's all the reverbs and modulations too, the gain stages stack really well and you can put your effects loops blocks anywhere you want in your chain.

I've become super interested in lightweight rigs and getting as much power out of as small and as robust of a board as possible. If I ever went back to gigging which I'm forever intending to do I 100% will either use this Helix LT with a Revival drive, or get a Helix Floor and run that with a Revival drive and the Headrush FRFR12 speaker I have. Any person at any club or bar sipping their pint is not going to be able to tell the difference from a Fender Twin or JCM800 with their eyes closed, it's loud as fuck the FRFR speaker is 2000w RMS and you can go direct into the house board and use your FRFR amp as foldback - after all of that it goes in the back of my Subaru and takes up 1/4th of the boot.

With gigging pretty much tied up though, there's always MORE FUCKING BELLS AND KNOBS LADS. YOU KNOW IT, I KNOW IT.

http://line6.com/support/topic/16817-q ... ls/page/1/

I decided to take a punt on this SICK HAX and get this 140 dollar mic preamp to run in the effects loop of my modeler to see if it gives me that God Tier, Tony Montana, Wet Ass, Tube Tone.

Thought I'd start a thread to force me to finish the video that I'm making, so watch this space, we are gonna run this bad boy in the FX loops of the Helix in various spots in my favourite board's chain and do a video of it direct into OBS to see if it makes my tone > your tone.

I had a bit of a fuck around with it this morning and so far the results are promising! It definitely sounds brighter, I'll let you guys be the judge soon!

For now you filthy animal here's some pictures of my feet:
Attachments
IMG_2691.jpeg
IMG_2691.jpeg (3.23 MiB) Viewed 1058 times
IMG_2690.jpeg
IMG_2690.jpeg (2.33 MiB) Viewed 1058 times
IMG_2689.jpeg
IMG_2689.jpeg (3.18 MiB) Viewed 1058 times
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Re: NTPD -> New Tube Preamp Day? ART MP V3 in FX-Loop

Post by Rhysyrhys »

Here ya go. Let me know what you think.
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

Guitaring starts at around 4 mins 10 seconds.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

great vid!

if someone's looking for a great all around tube compression and warmth, that seems a solid option.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Mate, I can't believe your accent hasn't changed at all to my ear; you just annunciate better than in the Goldsmiths days ;)

Sounded good; certainly not night-and-day, and perhaps pretty similar to what a standalone EQ with the right settings. I'd wager that everything is already so compressed by the point it hits the tube preamp that you're not gonna notice any inherent "tubey" compression, just the EQ rounding. I wonder if just bypassing ALL of the FX (so it's practically a DI box) and switching the preamp in and out would yield very noticable difference? Also, any input buffers on the input or loop?

And juuuuust cause I've got a HX Stomp so am familiar:

'Alpaca Rogue' = Red Llama
'Compulsive Drive' = OCD
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

Doog wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:30 pm Sounded good; certainly not night-and-day, and perhaps pretty similar to what a standalone EQ with the right settings. I'd wager that everything is already so compressed by the point it hits the tube preamp that you're not gonna notice any inherent "tubey" compression, just the EQ rounding. I wonder if just bypassing ALL of the FX (so it's practically a DI box) and switching the preamp in and out would yield very noticable difference? Also, any input buffers on the input or loop?
I will do this video when I get a sec, good point. I haven't played around massively with the amp and cab shite in the Line6 hugely other than having different amps for different shit and Early Reflection and mic placement, I might have a go at running it with nothing but then also have a go at using it as the actual preamp for a poweramp sim and cab, if that's possible.
Doog wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:30 pm And juuuuust cause I've got a HX Stomp so am familiar:

'Alpaca Rogue' = Red Llama
'Compulsive Drive' = OCD
Thank you! I can make out all of mod pedals and the filter stuff without even trying but my gain/disto knowledge has some holes, evidently. I really want an OCD if it sounds like/better than the model, such a good mid gain pedal with lots of clarity.
Doog wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:30 pm Mate, I can't believe your accent hasn't changed at all to my ear; you just annunciate better than in the Goldsmiths days ;)
Yeah! I do say some American things, "dude" has replaced "mate" and "bruv" and other British honorifics largely and I have a bit of a fry to my "yeah" I've noticed and the word "code" is getting weird and American rounded for some reason. My girlfriend says that my accent gets much thicker when I speak to people at home, but yeah I was 26 when I left idk if I'm ever gonna have a Californian accent tbth. Also there's no social pressure to Americanize in that regard, people fucking love the British accent out here and want to talk to you about shit + chicks dig it etc.
NickD

Post by NickD »

I doubt you’ll lose the accent - I was 30 (46 now) when I moved from Kent to Notts/Yorkshire and I don’t have a Northern accent in the slightest, I just sound a bit less obviously southern.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

NickD wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:52 pm I doubt you’ll lose the accent - I was 30 (46 now) when I moved from Kent to Notts/Yorkshire and I don’t have a Northern accent in the slightest, I just sound a bit less obviously southern, y’all.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.