So, I uh, might have done something kind of stupid..

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Thom
lamp

Re: So, I uh, might have done something kind of stupid..

Post by Thom »

Cheers mate! Yeah I love it. Definitely get your band to go to Tamza!
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Bacchus wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:58 pm YESSSSS!!!!!

That's my other dream amp, other than the 1224.

The JVM410 is basically all the Marshalls in one head, with more switchable options between them than you could want. I love them.

I keep trying to get my band to go to Tazma instead of Brazen, mostly because they have a JVM head there and I could show up an hour early and have a play.

Congrats!
I know you guys both play heavier stuff than me, and while the JVM410 is a GREAT amp, don't get me wrong - I actually think the 6100 is the best Marshall I've ever played, and I have owned an 80s JCM800 2204 also.

The JVM410H has a drop out when you change channels, which is probably only ms in length but still is perceptible and really pissed me off because I'm a BASIC BITCH and I write/play a lot of songs that go quiet/LOUD that it was fucking with my head on.

Additionally the Crunch channel to me felt a little undergained, or oddly EQ'd and I found myself wanting somewhere between the gain of red mode and the EQ of orange mode. Twas frustrating.

OD1/OD2 were too liquid/saturated for my taste so I never really used them - hence I ended up just holding onto my old weird Marshall that everyone overlooks, because it does what I want - Fendery Cleans, Marshall JCM800 crunches, and a lead channel which just adds 10% on top of that - instantaneous switching with no ducking of sound. It's a nightmare to maintain as it's old as hell and it has so many valves but I love it.

Maybe they have evolved the JVM series in the meantime and fixed that channel switching issue, or maybe I was in the wrong in wanting my new amp to be exactly as good as my old amp but with MORE.

Anyway, glad you're happy Thom but you;re wrong, Paul - or whatever this stupid post is
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Thoughts on the Marshall Origin series of amps? I haven’t played one yet but came across them the other day.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I’ve not seen or played one

I wrote the above post when Liverpool were being frustrated to 0-0 by spurs and now we’re 1-0 down so I’m no use to anyone

EDIT - 1-1

Ah well. Up the fucking Reds. Need City to have a serious collapse but if Guardiola's kecks and shoes combo the other night is anything to judge by, they're cracking up
rahbro

Post by rahbro »

HAVE YOU TRIED PILING ALL THAT SHIT ON TOP OF EACH OTHER AND DOING STEREO THAT WAY ?

FASHION A TOWER OF SORTS
plopswagon wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:55 am
I laid a pallet of sod yesterday
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Band practice last night. Mostly sounded great (but really fucking loud!). Some issues with buzzing when running two amps, but don't know if it's a ground loop issue because I'm running everything off the same four way power strip. So it shouldn't be? I'll have to spend a day debugging, I reckon.

More annoyingly, Jet City made the decision to not put a switch for the overdrive or reverb on the amp, so that they could apparently preserve them pure sweet toanz. So the only way to switch is to use the footswitch. Not that big a deal, I only really want it for the clean tone anyway. Bizarrely, when I set it up at the rehearsal space last night, the overdrive channel was engaged, not the clean channel (even though I only use the clean channel at home). And I had no way of switching back. This is a mad fucking design decision.

I'm thinking it should be a piece of piss to add a switch to the front panel? Failing that, I suppose I can velcro the footswitch inside the cab somewhere so that it's always to hand.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Mike wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:42 pm
Maybe they have evolved the JVM series in the meantime and fixed that channel switching issue, or maybe I was in the wrong in wanting my new amp to be exactly as good as my old amp but with MORE.
I have a feeling I noticed that happening on my JTM60 and changed a capacitor. Not to be confused with the fact that it developed a loud pop when changing channels which was due to a dodgy coupling/DC blocking cap.
Personal pronouns he/him
NickD

Post by NickD »

plopswagon wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:12 pm Thoughts on the Marshall Origin series of amps? I haven’t played one yet but came across them the other day.
Depends on which one. The tiny (5watt?) one is a bit tinny, but I think the 20 watt is decent.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

NickD wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:08 pm
plopswagon wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:12 pm Thoughts on the Marshall Origin series of amps? I haven’t played one yet but came across them the other day.
Depends on which one. The tiny (5watt?) one is a bit tinny, but I think the 20 watt is decent.
Yeah really good to my ears. We clubbed together to buy my Dad the 20w combo for his 70th last month. Played through it a bit when he opened it and I thought it was great.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

NickS wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:51 am
I have a feeling I noticed that happening on my JTM60 and changed a capacitor. Not to be confused with the fact that it developed a loud pop when changing channels which was due to a dodgy coupling/DC blocking cap.
Can’t say I’ve noticed any sort of latency in channel switching, but have got a practice tomorrow night and will check properly then. Looking forward to turning it up loud!
dub

Post by dub »

Bacchus wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:18 am Band practice last night. Mostly sounded great (but really fucking loud!). Some issues with buzzing when running two amps, but don't know if it's a ground loop issue because I'm running everything off the same four way power strip. So it shouldn't be? I'll have to spend a day debugging, I reckon.
Never mucked around with dual signal chains, but I hear that putting a ground lift/isolator on the send to the second amp is helpful?
or maybe its voodoo to sell you an expensive buffer: http://www.thegigrig.com/humdinger
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Ah, that's the sort of thing I imagined needing (or at least finding useful).

Wonder if there's a Behringer equivalent...
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

NickS

Post by NickS »

Personal pronouns he/him
NickS

Post by NickS »

G4M also do the Behringer at £21.80.
Personal pronouns he/him
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I'd imagine that's the same exact product. Going to pay a premium for a brand name I can trust, though: Behringer.
NickS

Post by NickS »

I know what you mean*. I do think G4M would do a bit better if their branding was a bit subtler. "SubZero"? Really?

I didn't work out whether G4M are cheaper than Thomann for the Behringer once carriage is included.

*I did a post about buying guitar cases a while back and in the end I bought a Fender tweed case copy from G4M. The first arrived with various staples hanging out, the replacement had dirty smudge on the fabric but I live with that. On the other hand their clip-on tuner has been great.
Personal pronouns he/him
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Most companies don’t actually make things, they just have the factory that makes them for other people slap their logo on it.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Thom wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:12 pm
Can’t say I’ve noticed any sort of latency in channel switching, but have got a practice tomorrow night and will check properly then. Looking forward to turning it up loud!
Took me a while but it finally dawned on me that the JVM now has a different footswitch. Now the LEDs for each switch change colour according to the mode on each channel rather than the indicator at the top of the pedal. Maybe there was an issue with dropout on the old ones, though I don’t remember ever noticing it. Definitely heard no issues at practice on Friday - the amp roared! It was a lot of fun.

I never used to use OD2 at all first time round, but in reading about the new footswitches I came across some interesting setting suggestions, and if you wind the gain all the way down to 1 or just below, dime the mids and treble and put the bass on zero you get a pretty damn good plexi tone. That was pretty cool to try at volume. Otherwise I basically live between Crunch Orange and OD1 Orange with a little bit of sparkly Green Clean for good measure.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Thinking that for the sake of peace of mind, I might as well chuck money at it.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/lehle_p_iso.htm