So, I uh, might have done something kind of stupid..

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

So, I uh, might have done something kind of stupid..

Post by Bacchus »

But maybe kind of brilliant?

Either way, I've definitely noticed my living room is getting smaller.
► Show Spoiler
Thom
lamp

Re: So, I uh, might have done something kind of stupid..

Post by Thom »

Good work! Thanks a proper living room. How does it sound?
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

If you go and stand in your garden for a bit, I can probably show you?
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Bacchus wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:35 pm If you go and stand in your garden for a bit, I can probably show you?
:lol: :lol:
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

What is it Paul - is it the combo or the cab (or both) that's new? Also - well done x
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Looks ace! What's the wattage of that thing and what were your thoughts behind the purchase considering you have a great amp?
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Bacchus wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:35 pm If you go and stand in your garden for a bit, I can probably show you?
hahaha

Looks insane, although that wide combo on less-wide cab is giving me Jenga anxiety

I've never played a Jet City irl, but remember how much I loved the Jet City model in Amplitube, so I have played one in the Matrix
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

sick!
NickD

Post by NickD »

Doog wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:25 am
Looks insane, although that wide combo on less-wide cab is giving me Jenga anxiety
Ditto.

What's (watts) the spec Paul?
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I've been thinking about getting a second amp for a while. The band I'm in are like a triphop, experimental, alternative-guitarey sort of thing, with me in the Morellolz rôle (Morellôlez?), and I've been enjoying running two amps when rehearsing. Having two amps at home means I can spend more time playing with different stereo effects to come up with new, interesting sounds.

This is the Jet City JCA5212RC. I normally wouldn't be too interested, given that most Jet City amps are clones of Soldanos, and that's not really my thing, but this is basically a clone of the Soldano Lucky 13, which is a bit different. It's got an incredible clean tone, and a reasonable but uninspiring overdrive (certainly not your typical Soldano style overdrive). As far as I can work out, the Lucky 13 is a Bassman derivative. Two 6L6 output valves putting out 50w, through 2 12" speakers.

It's plenty loud and is great for pedals. The speakers are Chinese Eminence. They sound pretty good, but I can't find any specs on them. There are a few people saying that they are clones of whatever USA made Eminences, but I can't find anything concrete. I have two other cabs, so I can experiment a bit with speaker options and see what works. So far though, I'm not seeing any need to make any changes.

It mixes very well with the Matamp, and together they sound huge. Very much enjoying playing through both. I set this up thinking that I would try the JCA through the Marshall cab, but I didn't get round to it as it was already standing up to the Matamp 412 using the stock speakers. I don't think I'll set it up like this again.

First thing I did when I got home was take off the shite looking badge. Much better now. Wife is thinking about recovering the blue strip in another shade of vinyl. But it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would.

Doog: The Jet City amps in Amplitube always seemed like a strange inclusion to me, especially given that they are ostensibly budget amps. Those ones I think are straight clones of the more typical Soldanos. What's weird is that I think that the original Soldanos were also included? So you had a model of the Soldano, plus a model of its clone? I got the impression that Jet City's inclusion might have been part of the negotiation for getting the Soldanos in there. Sort of "you can license our top end amps, but only if you include and basically advertise our budget amps at the same time."
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Also, got home from the pub last night to find that Spirit the Cat had taken up residence on top of it. I'm taking this as an endorsement that this how she wants the living room to stay, so between us we can outvote my wife 2 to 1.
► Show Spoiler
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Bacchus wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:55 pm Doog: The Jet City amps in Amplitube always seemed like a strange inclusion to me, especially given that they are ostensibly budget amps. Those ones I think are straight clones of the more typical Soldanos. What's weird is that I think that the original Soldanos were also included? So you had a model of the Soldano, plus a model of its clone? I got the impression that Jet City's inclusion might have been part of the negotiation for getting the Soldanos in there. Sort of "you can license our top end amps, but only if you include and basically advertise our budget amps at the same time."
That sounds extremely feasible!
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Every time I see this thread this is what I think of
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Haha. Have you still got the same annoying students upstairs?
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

These ones aren't so bad. I'm definitely the worst neighbour around here now, I think.

But, I keep to reasonable hours. I don't mind loud noise during the day, we live in a city, so its necessary to put up with each other. For my part, I make a lot of loud guitar noise and listen to music loudly.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

whoah shit! that looks great! i like your kind of stupid, paul.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Put the casters on the bottom cab you LOON
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

The old guy I bought it off put the casters on. It's not actually that heavy, so I'd consider putting them on the Matamp cab instead (that is difficult to lift without help, owing mostly to the shape of it). But I've got a hand cart for that, so maybe not.

I did try Jet City on the bottom, Marshal 412 on top, but the Jet City isn't deep enough.
Last edited by Bacchus on Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Mike wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:31 pm Put the casters on the bottom cab you LOON
:lol: :lol:

**miked**
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I love casters. I used to have them on my old Marshall 80s 4x12 but when I sold that I moved them to my 2x12.

Being able to roll stuff around your house FTW