NGD - now we are (nearly) 50

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

benecol
Best Poster 2010

NGD - now we are (nearly) 50

Post by benecol »

We all knew this day would come lads. I hope this may be one of the five signs (of ageing) that will trigger Fran's return to the board.

I got deliberately knocked off my bike last summer, and had to sell a chunk of kit while the court case chugged along. Eleven months later, it's over and they found in my favour. To celebrate, I bought a twelve string, which I hated literally everything I played on (it's lovely, but I cannot even begin to transcend the worst twelve string stereotypes). Had watched some auctions for some Edwardses, and got some lowball "I see you're watching my auction..." offers just to increase my buyer's remorse. In all my daft horse-trading, I've never had a Les Paul (had some Juniors, which I've loved), and have been intrigued for a while - was thinking I'd get something around my 50th (that is a few years away yet, mind). They all went before I could get the Burns listed.

However, this MIJ Tokai popped up in South Wales, buyer collects, so I thought I'd chance my hand. It's a 2002 (same as my Jazzmaster) plaintop. A couple of dings, but that just makes me less worried about doing it. Quite heavy, but no more than my Jazzmaster. Hilariously, the bloke had fitted it with the same Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB combo that I thoroughly hated in my old 335, but I'm tweaking around and so far, so good. Fella who sold it me was the nicest, and I got it for a price that had me checking the name badge on my hospital whites for "SPANGLE".

I am now obsessing on getting the action stupidly low, obv. I love it.

20220711_080654.jpg
20220711_080654.jpg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 1749 times
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Re: NGD - now we are (nearly) 50

Post by Bacchus »

Very nice!

What amp are you going through these days?
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

Nice. I may be ageing into this because I've been contemplating an SG lately. I was basically thinking I want something like an LP but that's not an LP.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Gavin wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:39 am Nice. I may be ageing into this because I've been contemplating an SG lately. I was basically thinking I want something like an LP but that's not an LP.
Strangely, I bought my Flying V because Andy Powell I wanted something like a LP but lighter than a LP that wasn't an SG. I guess I could have got a Junior. An SG seems more practical but I don't know what, maybe the pointiness of the horns, puts me off.

Nice looking machine, Tim. I noticed this Tokai LP on local FBM this morning.
Personal pronouns he/him
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Thanks all.
Bacchus wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:02 amWhat amp are you going through these days?
Through my OTT Vibrochamp/Princeton stereo setup.

Gav: SGs are lovely. I think I've had more SGs than anything else.

Nick - that's nice, but it's a MIK one. MIJ Tokais are where it's at baby.
NickD

Post by NickD »

As probably the biggest Les Paul fan on this board I heartily approve. I’ve only owned one Tokai (the LPJ I bought from you) but the quality and VFM is great.

My R9 and JM are around the same weight - around 8.5-8.75lbs.

Looks like a really good purchase, great photo taking too.

SGs are great, but I’ve struggled with finding any that have a big enough neck. Not a slim taper fan in the slightest.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

NickD wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:16 amI’ve only owned one Tokai (the LPJ I bought from you) but the quality and VFM is great.
Was that the doublecut? I've never had a proper Slasher LP.
NickS

Post by NickS »

benecol wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:55 am Nick - that's nice, but it's a MIK one. MIJ Tokais are where it's at baby.
:oops: I'm such a noob.
Personal pronouns he/him
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

On Tokais, MIK ones have three-screw trussrod covers, MIJ have two-screw.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Very nice indeed! Glad the court case is all done and dusted and came out in your favour.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

That's a lovely looking LP. I don't play LPs but sure can appreciate a nice looking one

NickD wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:16 am SGs are great, but I’ve struggled with finding any that have a big enough neck. Not a slim taper fan in the slightest.
Gibson just like Rickenbacker think their guitars that wound up in the hands of certain people in the 60s had a special secret magic sauce recipe to them when in reality those people would've played a stringed whale dong with pickups if it came for free or as a part of a recording deal.

I've watched an interview where Robbie Krieger was talking about his original SG which had at one point been stolen and which he had been lucky to replace with the same year model some time later. His SG had a big neck but when in the 2000s Gibson approached him to make a signature model, they copied the body off of his guitar but for some reason slapped a thin ass slim taper neck on it.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Hammer of the Gods (my second reference of that in a Shortscale context this week)
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

It’s a beauty Tim, it looks, as they say in the business, “the business”
NickD

Post by NickD »

benecol wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:34 am
NickD wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:16 amI’ve only owned one Tokai (the LPJ I bought from you) but the quality and VFM is great.
Was that the doublecut? I've never had a proper Slasher LP.
It was. TV yellow as I recall.
plopswagon wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:04 pm Hammer of the Gods (my second reference of that in a Shortscale context this week)
The other reference was more in reference to a longscale than a shortscale though
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Missed this bit...
NickD wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:16 amSGs are great, but I’ve struggled with finding any that have a big enough neck. Not a slim taper fan in the slightest.
It's why I always disliked SGs (see my "Oh, it's good enough for Kelly Jones but not for you?" farrago), but it was a MIJ Tokai SG that made me first discover big necks, funnily enough. All the MIJ Tokai SGs have nice big necks, as do loads of the Gibson Standards. SG Classics used to be the best sleeper Gibsons: effectively an SG Standard, but with P90s, they used to be about the cheapest "proper" Gibsons. And huge necks.
NickD

Post by NickD »

benecol wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:50 pm Missed this bit...
NickD wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:16 amSGs are great, but I’ve struggled with finding any that have a big enough neck. Not a slim taper fan in the slightest.
It's why I always disliked SGs (see my "Oh, it's good enough for Kelly Jones but not for you?" farrago), but it was a MIJ Tokai SG that made me first discover big necks, funnily enough. All the MIJ Tokai SGs have nice big necks, as do loads of the Gibson Standards. SG Classics used to be the best sleeper Gibsons: effectively an SG Standard, but with P90s, they used to be about the cheapest "proper" Gibsons. And huge necks.
Are all P90 Classics blessed with a big neck, or just certain years?
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

All the SG Classics are. They're the ones with "Classic" written on the trussrod cover. They've recently done some variations on "SG Standard P90", and I can't vouch for those.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Nick wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:39 pm It’s a beauty Tim, it looks, as they say in the business, “the business”
:lol:

Niiiiice; do an pitchy unison bend into a solidstate Peavey combo
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

O
Last edited by dezb1 on Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
XY
rahbro

Post by rahbro »

Love it
plopswagon wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:55 am
I laid a pallet of sod yesterday