Incoming - 1980s E serial Jag

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

MattK

Incoming - 1980s E serial Jag

Post by MattK »

So I have a long-searched-for purchase incoming:
- short scale solid body
- first production run
- looks like shit but I think can be retrieved
- 80s
- single coils
Last edited by MattK on Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Re: Incoming

Post by Bacchus »

We don't go in for that "NGD - Guess Which Number I'm Thinking" game around these parts.

Offset on the other hand...

Although I am intrigued!
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Lead I?
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

But they're cool looking, no?
MattK

Post by MattK »

Ah - sorry, I was just feeling a little embarrassed at buying something so deranged. I don't like the coy guessing games either to be honest.
I only have the pics from the seller so I am a little tense about whether it will clean up the way I expect it to. We'll see. It was listed as a 94 but it's actually more like 84, first run from Fender Japan ... and it's been ... customised ...
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Shortscale superstrat?
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
MattK

Post by MattK »

Nah just a boring old Jaguar! But I've been looking for one of the early ones for ages; this one spoke to me despite the paint job.
My belief is that the artwork is over the body CAR - the "crack line" looks like paint. Otherwise I guess I will have an 80s Jaguar with half a finish ... at least it was cheaper than most!
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

MatthewK wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:16 pm Ah - sorry, I was just feeling a little embarrassed at buying something so deranged. I don't like the coy guessing games either to be honest.
Ah, I was only joking. That looks great, and might well be very redeemable!
MattK

Post by MattK »

I was just like ehh, looks kinda hilarious, and then I saw this:
and thought you know, I might just have found what I was after.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

A refinish away from a really nice guitar.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
MattK

Post by MattK »

Hope so!!
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Aside from the pseudo metal plates and sparkles finish it looks nicely worn and kickass
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Love it!!!

So much potential there for sure.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I nearly wouldn't mind the "metal" bit if it was softened in. It nearly looks like when you see a super worn metallic colour with the original metallic colour underneath. The "screwholes" are harder to fall in love with.

I've never owned a Jaguar, but this could be a T-Cut away from being pretty much my dream Jag. CAR and 80s Japanese.
MattK

Post by MattK »

My thoughts exactly! It will need some attention to the hardware and the rollers are missing, I think. My biggest hope comes from the chip in the airbrushed part showing red.
It looks like the neck pickup has bevels on the polepieces so it might have been replaced, there may be a humbucker hole under the guard for all I know. At least the neck is clean.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

so funny... i was scrolling down slowly and was like, "this is bad as-- oh, wait, okay, um... well...?" :lol:

seriously, it's actually not horrifying since it looks like whoever painted had some experience and knew what they were doing. following it to the back definitely shows commitment.

probably looks really cool from the audience when you're onstage playing it.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

dots wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:36 pm so funny... i was scrolling down slowly and was like, "this is bad as-- oh, wait, okay, um... well...?" :lol:

seriously, it's actually not horrifying since it looks like whoever painted had some experience and knew what they were doing. following it to the back definitely shows commitment.

probably looks really cool from the audience when you're onstage playing it. fighting robots from the future!
► Show Spoiler
NickD

Post by NickD »

plopswagon wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:40 pm
dots wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:36 pm so funny... i was scrolling down slowly and was like, "this is bad as-- oh, wait, okay, um... well...?" :lol:

probably looks really cool from the audience when you're onstage playing it. fighting robots from the future!
Yoshimi?
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

NickD wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:51 pm
plopswagon wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:40 pm

probably looks really cool from the audience when you're onstage playing it. fighting robots Wayne Coyne from the future Oklahoma!
Yoshimi?
► Show Spoiler
MattK

Post by MattK »

I suspect I am buying it from the dude who had it painted, maybe I should quietly ask if he’s part of a cyborg resistance movement. It’s shipping from Réunion (an island east of Madagascar when I looked it up) which is … insane.