Incoming - 1980s E serial Jag

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

dots
BADmin (he/him)

Re: Incoming

Post by dots »

MatthewK wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:47 pm I suspect I am buying it from the dude who had it painted, maybe I should quietly ask if he’s part of a cyborg resistance movement. It’s shipping from Réunion (an island east of Madagascar when I looked it up) which is … insane.

Oh wow yeah, that is a hike.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Formerly Burgundy Island.

Before there was Dallas, TX, there was a French utopianist colony here called La Réunion. My wife stared an artist in residency program named after it a few years back.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
MattK

Post by MattK »

I was thinking wow, tiny island in the middle of nowhere, and then I remembered I live in Tasmania. And it’s half as big as Réunion.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Courtney Barnett is from Hobart, Tasmania. Did you happen see her gigging anywhere around the city before she was famous?
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
MattK

Post by MattK »

Not before she was well known, but I did see her play in a bar to an audience of about 100 just before “Sometimes I Sit and Think” came out, it was a fantastic show, the room went crazy and I’ve never seen anyone enjoy playing guitar that much. Next time I saw her was a festival headline just after “Tell Me How You Really Feel” and she was in full force. My daughters’ first full on rock show, they are big fans and she blew their minds. I think she’s brilliant.
(I nearly forgot, one time in Melbourne we saw her and Jen Cloher doing a sound check at the national gallery and I took my younger daughter aged 10 to go and watch them, there was a partition with security letting them work undisturbed so we were a ways away. Then someone came to the door and asked if we were there to watch them, at which point they invited us in and both Courtney and Jen talked to my daughter for about 10 minutes, asking her about music and her interests. Wonderful people. At the end I was stumbling to say thanks and Jen said, did you want to take a picture? And I remembered that yes, that’s what you do, so we did. Great memory.)
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

These are awesome experiences. She seems to be very original, spontaneous while well spoken and funny in her lyrics, though she's as often just melancholic. I don't listen to albums as much as I should, but I spent a summer listening to Sometimes I Sit and Think over and over again. I've heard she lived in Melbourn for some time before her big break, so maybe she did her gigging there. I also liked the story of how she started her own label not knowing anything about the music industry. She thought in order to make money she needed to sell her music and as nobody wanted to sell her music she thought she'd start a label which will be a physical store that would be selling her CDs and like that Milk Records began.
MattK

Post by MattK »

I don't post pictures of my kids online where I can help it, but this one already is and I haven't used her name here so ...
Six years later she is adept on guitar and plays Mitski covers by ear flawlessly.
MattK

Post by MattK »

and yeah Courtney only lived in Hobart for around 3-4 years around the time she was starting out as an artist, she picked up a following in Melbourne and is pretty much a Melbourne artist. I mail order a bit of stuff from Milk and I'm pretty sure she sent a few of the things, the handwriting is distinctive!
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

MatthewK wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:14 am I don't post pictures of my kids online where I can help it, but this one already is and I haven't used her name here so ...
Six years later she is adept on guitar and plays Mitski covers by ear flawlessly.
I'm a bit jealous that your daughter got to meet her guitar hero at such a young age. I'm glad she's so good at guitar, she's probably by far better than me.

Courtney's handwriting is quite recognisable :D
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

MatthewK wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:14 am Image
I mean.. I'd say Courtney was more than adept
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
MattK

Post by MattK »

yeah her Mitski covers were a left turn but very well received, I guess I should give her more credit
MattK

Post by MattK »

so this Jag then
MattK

Post by MattK »

badly needs cleaning, and I am curious about the pickups, is that an AVRI in the neck?

I see a cloth wire

yeah I think it's AVRI (bevelled polepieces) but not 100% sure
upgraded pots, nice one
MattK

Post by MattK »

and this bridge pickup - some filth (and springs?)

some paint

pretty wrecked looking foam

looks a little interesting, to be honest
MattK

Post by MattK »

I think we call this a "welcome surprise"
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

maybe they added the springs when the foam became petrified? i don't think i've seen a pickup look that crusty before! it's like they literally poured beer on it in the 90s and just kept it there for the mojo.

but wow, that that guitar is going to clean up great.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

dots wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:45 pm maybe they added the springs when the foam became petrified? i don't think i've seen a pickup look that crusty before! it's like they literally poured beer on it in the 90s and just kept it there for the mojo.

+1!
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Bacchus wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:58 pm
dots wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:45 pm maybe they added the springs when the foam became petrified? i don't think i've seen a pickup look that crusty before! it's like they literally poured beer on it in the 90s and just kept it there for the mojo.

+1!
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I am excited to see everything once you get it cleaned up and put back together.

So Cool.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Was tune-o-matic a stock thing on these MIJ Jags?