Opinions on Fender Toronado GT

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

taylornutt

Opinions on Fender Toronado GT

Post by taylornutt »

There is a Fender Toronado GT at the local Guitar store.

I have played it the last two times I have been there and find myself wanting to take it home.

I have never found a Humbucking guitar that I liked but the Seymour Duncan pickups sound really good.

The bridge pickup can be switched in single coil mode by pushing the tone knob up and down. Is that a standard feature?

It's the Blue model with the white stripe and matching blue headstock that was made in Korea.

Anyone here currently have one or owned one in the past?

Thanks.

J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Re: Opinions on Fender Toronado GT

Post by dots »

the GT is the only other toronado model i've seen that i've liked other than the american special series. i'm a bit contrarian to the consensus thought that the version original release with the strat tail piece is superior. the issue for me isn't the bridge (though i do not mind at all the hard tail/TOM), but the giant pickguard on the mid-90s toronados doesn't do anything for me.

are the GT headstocks matching?
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

dots wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:05 pm the GT is the only other toronado model i've seen that i've liked other than the american special series. i'm a bit contrarian to the consensus thought that the version original release with the strat tail piece is superior. the issue for me isn't the bridge (though i do not mind at all the hard tail/TOM), but the giant pickguard on the mid-90s toronados doesn't do anything for me.

Yes they have the matching headstocks.

I always kinda liked the original Toronados with the pickguard but the guitar changed my mind. The Seymour Duncan pickups sounds so much better to me. I played one of Squier Toronados which sounded fine but not as thick. The guitar is a step above despite being made in Korea.
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Have you tried that PRS?
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

sunshiner wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:51 am Have you tried that PRS?
I didn't try it. I used to own a PRS McCarty standard for a while but I sold it and immediately purchased my Fender AVRI Jaguar.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

taylornutt wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:41 am
dots wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:05 pm the GT is the only other toronado model i've seen that i've liked other than the american special series. i'm a bit contrarian to the consensus thought that the version original release with the strat tail piece is superior. the issue for me isn't the bridge (though i do not mind at all the hard tail/TOM), but the giant pickguard on the mid-90s toronados doesn't do anything for me.

► Show Spoiler
Yes they have the matching headstocks.

I always kinda liked the original Toronados with the pickguard but the guitar changed my mind. The Seymour Duncan pickups sounds so much better to me. I played one of Squier Toronados which sounded fine but not as thick. The guitar is a step above despite being made in Korea.
man, that's awesome!