PSA: Pink Stuff as Fret Polishing Compound

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

PSA: Pink Stuff as Fret Polishing Compound

Post by Bacchus »

... seems to work!

The Pink Stuff is one of those miracle cleaning compounds. It's basically a mild abrasive that breaks down as you work it to become finer. It seems to have a bit of mild detergent and maybe some baking soda or something in there too (it seems to soften and loosen things a little just by sitting on it) but it doesn't seem to be anything too aggressive to use on a fingerboard, with proper taping off of the frets etc. I think it's an American product that has found its way over here recently (like Magic Erasers), but I'm not sure.

I was looking at sprucing up a tired guitar. After cleaning huuuge amounts of gunk off the fingerboard, I realised how bad the frets were looking. I thought about getting a polishing kit from somewhere, but decided to give this a go first (polishing is polishing, no?).

I carefully masked off one fret near the top of the neck to test it. It works!
pS1.jpeg
pS1.jpeg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 823 times
I then masked off the whole neck and applied the paste. I decided to be a little bit liberal with it. I wondered if whatever chemicals in the paste would help me out, so I wanted enough that each fret was definitely coated and had time to soften/loosen as I went down the neck.
PS2.jpeg
PS2.jpeg (2.02 MiB) Viewed 823 times
Making progress. The black gunk I'm taking as a sign that it's working. That must be oxides and whatever other crap being cleaned off.

The first picture below shows a fret near the top that is a bit damaged. Wonder if this stuff will be aggressive enough to take out those scrapes. Possibly, but I'm not sure I have the spare elbow grease to bother trying. Might do at some point, as a bit of an experiment.

"What's the black stuff around the frets etc."
PS3.jpeg
PS3.jpeg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 823 times
PSb.jpeg
PSb.jpeg (1.79 MiB) Viewed 823 times
The paste stiffens as it dries, and seems to become a little less aggressive when it's wet (which is obvious). So right at the end, for a final polish, I dampened my cloth and wrung out as much moisture as I could from it. I then scrubbed up and down the fingerboard. This picture looks a lot wetter than it is, because of the suddiness and frothiness. I was careful with this. Dunno how much this step achieved.
PS4.jpeg
PS4.jpeg (2.38 MiB) Viewed 823 times
Tape off, and a final wipe down:
PS5.jpeg
PS5.jpeg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 823 times
OIled up to the lemons whilst I wait for the Amazon man to get here with my strings:
PS6.jpeg
PS6.jpeg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 823 times
All in all, I'm calling that a win. It looks much better, and I'll definitely be doing this to my other guitars as and when they need it.
NickD

Re: PSA: Pink Stuff as Fret Polishing Compound

Post by NickD »

Nice job! What guitar is that? Looks like a jazz box.

Another tip, especially for getting the frets super smooth is to use those four sided foam nail filing/polishing things, they get rid of any lingering filing marks.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

These jobs?

I originally bought the Pink Stuff as I thought it could be useful for turntable dust covers and defogging headlights. It still might be, but I don't have an orbital buffer or anything, so I'm not going to find out.
NickD

Post by NickD »

Bacchus wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:17 pm These jobs?

I originally bought the Pink Stuff as I thought it could be useful for turntable dust covers and defogging headlights. It still might be, but I don't have an orbital buffer or anything, so I'm not going to find out.
Yep, I think mine came from the Pound shop, or Savers.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Great job, neck looks great!