Fender Goldfoils WHAT WHAT WHAAAAAAT

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

ekwatts
A series of tubes

Fender Goldfoils WHAT WHAT WHAAAAAAT

Post by ekwatts »

goldfoils.jpg
goldfoils.jpg (328.79 KiB) Viewed 1863 times
goldfoils2.jpg
goldfoils2.jpg (235.97 KiB) Viewed 1863 times
goldfoils3.jpg
goldfoils3.jpg (285.41 KiB) Viewed 1863 times

Fender jumping on that goldfoil bandwagon, but.... I kinda love 'em. Even the basses.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Re: Fender Goldfoils WHAT WHAT WHAAAAAAT

Post by Freddy V-C »

Humina humina humina awooga etc.
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

Nah, not into it. Also, wrong forum. These aren’t short scales.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Jazzmaster looks very "cheapish cool guitars with funny shaped headstocks from an unnamed factory in Asia."

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but they look like they like they should be Harley Bentons or GFS home brand or something.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Getting more silvertone/harmony vibe from the JM. At this point I would rather buy a Harmony Silhouette. More interesting, probably lighter. At this point JMs May as we’ll be strats to me.

The Sunburst Jazz bass and Redburst Tele wear it best IMO.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Gavin wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:09 pm Nah, not into it. Also, wrong forum. These aren’t short scales.
You're right, I mistakenly thought the first pic was of a similarly equipped Jazzmaster AND Jag, started writing the post, then saw the pics of the rest of the guitars and... I'll admit it, I just got lazy and carried on. But it's only now I've realised that they're both just Jazzmasters.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Yeah, that sunburst is a cheap sunburst of Harmonies of the 50s and 60s which were originally equipped with the DeArmond "gold foils". And I agree about Jazzmaster having slowly turned into a strat. I once saw some video with "alternative bands" playing one after another, each band had at least one Jazzmaster and one band had three guitarists all with Jazzmasters. I guess because they went for a unique look, unlike everybody else who played boring guitars that weren't a Jazzmaster.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Now that it has been pointed out to me that there isn't a Jaguar model in the range (that we know of, yet) that feels like a slightly glaring omission. Surely the shortscale switch-laden Jag is more suited to the goldfoil treatment?

And yeah, the Jazzmaster is effectively mainstream at this point. How times change.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Nick wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:07 pm Getting more silvertone/harmony vibe from the JM. At this point I would rather buy a Harmony Silhouette. More interesting, probably lighter.
100% strong Harmony Silhouette/Bobkat vibes, feel like they're just straight-up ripping off the recent reissue:
harmony@1400x1050.jpeg
[email protected] (254.27 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

the teles look better than the jazzmasters, but the jazzmasters look better than the jazz basses. i love jazz basses usually.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Jazz Bass with only a neck pickup = How ‘bout we don’t
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

paul_ wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:29 am Jazz Bass with only a neck pickup = How ‘bout we don’t

yeah, these jbasses look like they finished it, looked at the pick guard, and went, "oh shit, we forgot the pickup! uh... ummm... here!"
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

The Hoppus heads will probably be all over the blue one.
Pacafeliz

Post by Pacafeliz »

Fuck them Squier frets

*hurl*
my name is Pat.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Pacafeliz wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:40 pm Fuck them Squier frets

*hurl*
Narrow tall?

How about 'BURROW deep into the Earth and FALL into a septic tank in China'
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

What seems to have been overlooked is that these pickups aren't really 'goldfoils' at all, just mini humbuckers with gold mesh covers. That's why they sound like mini humbuckers in the demos.
NickS

Post by NickS »

What, something like..
http://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Roswell ... 053231-000
roswell-pickups--gold-foil-mini-humbucker.jpg
roswell-pickups--gold-foil-mini-humbucker.jpg (91.4 KiB) Viewed 1645 times
The Roswell LGM101-B Gold Foil Mini Humbucker adds classic vintage flair to any electric guitar. The pickup in classic gold-foil design creates the coveted look and sound of the beat generation and provides a powerful and overtone-rich mid-range thanks to Alnico V bar magnets, which pushes any amp into crunchy overdrive realms when needed. Here, the Roswell LGM101 combines the advantages of the double-coil humbucker with a narrower winding for a warm, yet focused sound.
*lolwut*
Personal pronouns he/him
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

timhulio wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:27 pm What seems to have been overlooked is that these pickups aren't really 'goldfoils' at all, just mini humbuckers with gold mesh covers. That's why they sound like mini humbuckers in the demos.
I'd assumed they'd be fairly hot strat pickups (which I think the GFS ones are?). Mini humbuckers are cool, but I think they'd be cooler if they were just mini humbuckers that looked like mini humbuckers.
Doug

Post by Doug »

sunshiner wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:33 pm Yeah, that sunburst is a cheap sunburst of Harmonies of the 50s and 60s which were originally equipped with the DeArmond "gold foils". And I agree about Jazzmaster having slowly turned into a strat. I once saw some video with "alternative bands" playing one after another, each band had at least one Jazzmaster and one band had three guitarists all with Jazzmasters. I guess because they went for a unique look, unlike everybody else who played boring guitars that weren't a Jazzmaster.
Very interesting, Fender Gold Foils. The first helpful questionIn might be... in what way are the Fender Goldfoils different than any of the other Fender single-coils? Somebody said they are Fender mini-humbuckers with cosmetic gold foil?

Second helpful Q: how are these Fender Goldfoils different than the original DeArmond Godfoils of the '50s and 60's?

Our collective answers let us have a meaningful discussion about "like" and "don't like". My 1960 Harmony Stratotone Jupiter, a shortScale, has the original DeArmonds. All I know is mine measure 10 ohms neck and 10.8 bridge. That's exceptional resistance, you might say "power", or "hot", I guess. I'm not very technical. They can get very loud without feedback, can sound sweet & clean, but can be very dark and dirty, direct to my '96 Danelectro Honeytone (not the current small plastic Honeytone). But what are the specs on the Fender Gold Foils? Interesting discussion, mates, and I hope this helps. -Doug, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Doug
Doug

Post by Doug »

Doog wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:18 am
Nick wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:07 pm Getting more silvertone/harmony vibe from the JM. At this point I would rather buy a Harmony Silhouette. More interesting, probably lighter.
100% strong Harmony Silhouette/Bobkat vibes, feel like they're just straight-up ripping off the recent reissue:

[email protected]
So these beauties are current, or recent, models? What are the specs on the pups? -Doug, Atlanta, Georgia,
Doug