Moskyaudio Golden Horse: Cheap Mini Klon Centaur

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Moskyaudio Golden Horse: Cheap Mini Klon Centaur

Post by Rhysyrhys »

Imagef

So I bought it for a laugh because it genuinely costs less than a mid priced meal at a restaurant. Like go out for breakfast in LA by the time you pay tax and tip its like 30 bucks easy, with a coffee n that.

I'm gonna make a mini pedalboard of mini pedals, and this pedal seems to get insane rave reviews lol, I was reading the comment section and there seems to be actual humans being like "AS GOOD AS MY 500 DOLLAR BOUTIKEE CLOONEE CEANTRAUR" . I'm gonna order a mic and see if I still have an interface anywhere, but I think this actually requires a non-iPhone.

I can't go wrong with a pedal that is less than the cost of a few pints. But I'm also intrigued.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Re: Moskyaudio Golden Horse: Cheap Mini Klon Centaur

Post by plopswagon »

There’s nothing more dangerous than a centaur with a few pints in ‘em
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Why is the centaur using a pole arm like a javelin?
Personal pronouns he/him
MattK

Post by MattK »

curse you, I have ordered one
NickS

Post by NickS »

It costs a little more over here, but there are alternatives.
► Show Spoiler
I'd like to see someone do a shoot-out video...
Personal pronouns he/him
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I didn't want to say it as you had already ordered a gold one but a silver one has a switch to choose between two modes one of them adding more lows afaik. Haven't played neither pedal, but either read about it or saw a demo some time ago
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Ah. Silver horses at Amazon.co.uk:
► Show Spoiler
Personal pronouns he/him
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

Honestly I think its fucking rad, it's rare in guitar life do you buy something and grin 100% of the way through playing it because it just feels like a screaming fucking deal. 30 bucks and it sounds excellent, as good as any low gain pedal I've owned and I've probably owned 30-40, a dozen or so at least I've sold on here!

I had no idea the Silver Horse was different, and yeah, my complaint is that when I turn it on with Ch. 2 of my amp the low end is noticeably not as thick. I wanna get a Silver now, gonna order tomorrow at work to procrastinate.

It sounds great on the clean channel, I wouldn't say an "always on pedal" depending on what you are doing because of the low end, but it really warms things up in a nice and bluesy way, it's useful as a boost and as a drive. If you were in a blues power trio it would be an easy staple pedal for ur board. You could have 2 or 3 for the price of a Boss BD-2 then stack 'em or have one for different flavours.

On the drive channel it sounds badass depending on what you are doing, it adds gain and presence, I was a little miffed at the low end. It's not exactly bad, just this PRS amp has really nice bottom end and you can really chug at higher gain, it's less so with this engaged but you do get more sustain and compression - so maybe as a lead boost or for tracking doubles it would be sick.

I'm not sure how the Klon is supposed to sound but it's really exciting for 30 bucks, and then 50 bucks for the Mooer compressor there is a wealth of different awesome tones to be had - I was going to buy one of those 200-300 dollar compressors and for less than half of that my rig sounds frigging unbelievable... I really don't want to sound old but I don't think you could get pedals this decent when I was a kid? Does anyone wanna chime in on that? Could you get a decent drive pedal for less than 35 bucks shipped?
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

NGL I'm a little bit crazy for these mini pedals right now guys. There's also a Fulltone OCD, Xotic BB Preamp and others (??) and a RAT clone.

Make a pedalboard that will easily fit into your guitar bag but still have a compressor, two OD/distos, a verb and some modulation then a tuner... what a time to be alive lol.
NickD

Post by NickD »

NickS wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:25 pm ...Silver horses...
I now have this as an earworm, to the tune of Crazy Horses.
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

BOYS IVE DONE IT THEY ALL THOUGHT I WAS MAD BUT WHOS MAD NOW?! WHOS FUCKINF MAASDJAOS{DJGG NKWWNOENMWEPWEKWK>

Ordered a Silver Horse and one YMUZE B-Box Preamps! I love the Bluesbreaker circuit, I had a Marshall BB-2 as my first ever gain pedal so I'm fucking excited as SHIT right now.

Pushing micro pedals up my cockkkkkk, seventy fucking bucksss
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

It's definitely the best time to be a guitar player. I really don't see the point of buying $300 pedals unless they do something unique or... they are digital and use copyrighted software that Chinese manufacturers can't rip off without being sued
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

So I got the Silver Horse and its late here so I don't wanna have things up too loud.

Verdict: the Silver Horse sounds completely different. The hard clipping setting is a bit like the Golden Horse but worse, and the "soft" mode is a super clean boost which is very pleasant. Pretty glad I have them both to mess around with but they aren't at all the same sounding. So that was a bit of a surprise... I thought they would be somewhat similar.
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

So I started making a mini-pedal pedalboard and this is where I got to this evening.

So far the Golden Horse is the last in the pack, it's not shit but it's not as useful as everything else. Enjoyment order as follows:

1) Yellow Comp
2) B-Box Preamp
3) Silver Horse
4) Flamma Delay
5) Golden Horse

For B-Box there's going to be fairly wide variance in approaches to a topology, but this isn't like my old BB-2, it's got a lot more gain and the bass/treble knobs are awesome and very sweeping. Really good drive pedal, get one.

I A/B/C/D all the drive pedals against my Bogner Uberschall and now that pedal sounds like shit to me, I can't get a good sound out of it comparatively and it was 150 bucks or something.

I'm very aware that I might have "shiny new toy syndrome" really hard rn, but the Uberschall really does sound like bum in comparison... which is sad, cos I think its the most I've ever spent on a mass produced gain pedal AND it was on sale lol...
Attachments
IMG_3989.jpeg
IMG_3989.jpeg (680.28 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

Ok the small pedals kick the Uberschall's ass. B-Box is better in every way, the bass control fucking rules. Not even joking this 35 buck pedal kicks the Uberschall's sweet ass and I've seen pedal people say that it's one of the best distortion's you can buy? In a blind test the BB shits on it both low and high gain.

FC-17 Flamma decent; really analog? It self-oscillates and the delays defeat over time like a real analog delay...

I feel kinda odd... I feel like my ears aren't attuned to guitar or something and this is all emperors new clothes style "shiny new toy syndrome" but seriously, Uberschall is going on reverb.com whenever I can be bothered. I'm not gonna use it for anything and after 2 solid hours of playing with the other stuff and it, all in different spots in the chain, I don't even wanna keep it around for a gain flavour, it's just not as good...
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Topology/circuits rule, not who puts them together. At this point Chinese companies can build any analogue pedal at a price of a cup of coffee. The unobtainium shit is about 99% bullshit and probably works only for NOS Germanium transistors that no one makes and which I couldn't give two shits about. Other than that all resistors, transistors, to the lesser degree capacitors are all the same.

Chinese manufacturers are not as good at tweaking existing circuits which is bread and butter of boutique companies, but they will eventually rip the final product's circuit anyway once it's popular.

Good to hear your feedback on the lil pedals. Isn't B-box the clone of MXR Distortion+/DOD 250, only with proper EQ control?
NickD

Post by NickD »

sunshiner wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:35 am Topology/circuits rule, not who puts them together.
In terms of sound, yes. That point of view doesn't put any value on design and development though, and often ends up with brands just copying each other to the detriment of moving things forward.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

All in all I agree with the fact that it's immoral to just rip what others came up with having invested time, effort and money. Then again the majority of pedal builders don't come up with original circuits either but tweak a dozen of already existing ones. Once in a blue moon someone comes up with something original and everyone else rips his design. Should I pay $300 to a person who did minor tweaks to a 40-50 year old circuit or $30 to a company who ripped his circuit? The fact that electrical circuits can't be patented seems to be playing in favor of both of them. I'm always broke, I'll be voting with my wallet. If one day I'm not broke, I'll start to worry about a guy building another Tonebender 1.5 clone and his kids' prospect of going to the Ivy League college
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

I’ve had a golden horse for a few years now, lovely little pedal. I’ll never be able to compare it to a real klon and not really bothered how close it is to one.

I used to use it for an always on base sound when I used my origin 20 at home, because to get any gain out of the origin it has to be stupid loud. Proper dynamic little drive pedal as I like to clean up using my guitar volume and it works a treat.

I got a Nux brownie pedal at the same to time for £10 and that’s kinda like a Marshall in a box vibe and pairs great with the golden horse.

Wish they’d make a knock off of the Hendrix silicon fuzz face, always seem to find germanium ones not silicon.
Fender Classic Player 60’s Stratocaster>East Coast T1 Tele>
Epiphone Les Paul SL>Ovation 12 String acoustic>Peavey Strat DIY Relic

Marshall Origin 20H>James’s old purple 2x10
Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Progrockabuse wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:48 am
Wish they’d make a knock off of the Hendrix silicon fuzz face, always seem to find germanium ones not silicon.
It's your lucky day, champ:

http://www.effects-pedals.info/p/mosky ... istortion/
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit