So the Jag-Stang existed in 1971

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

MattK

So the Jag-Stang existed in 1971

Post by MattK »

Last week I was in Tokyo for work, and caught a train heading north to visit the Electric Deer Workshop which some of you may know from Offset and Reverb. My mind was blown by the boutique, historic and beautiful-sounding gear - sleeper tube amps from Teisco in the 60s, Royal Super Bunny artillery-grade lead and bass amps, Voice, Mory, Guyatone ... even the last-ever Voice amp customised by Saito himself to my host's request - after a series of interviews preserving his story, amid the muddy history of Japanese guitar making from the big companies down to the individuals winding pickups in their kitchens.

Being the guy he is, Mr Electric Deer had even saved me a bit of a lost cause guitar: a pretty 70s offset from the era when Kawai were buying up parts stock from Teisco and others, slapping them together into instruments and throwing them out the door. This Concert is going to stretch my limited skills but it'll be worth it I hope. Not least because it seems to me, that they invented the Jag-Stang back in 1971:

So far I've used the aluminium foil trick to polish the chrome parts - for those of you who haven't seen it, crumple a small wad of aluminium foil and wet it with a little water. It will scrub corrosion away with the greatest of ease and leave the chrome polished, and can't scratch it either. Apparently the scrubbing exposes fresh aluminium which the water oxidises, forming the finest Al2O3 polishing grit.

Next: the bridge, which is hanging the strings up around 6mm above the fretboard despite a hefty shim. I have a tune-o-matic / ABR bridge from the Jag I bought last year, I think a solution is forming.
Doog
mid-century modem

Re: So the Jag-Stang existed in 1971

Post by Doog »

I mean, it's definitely a Jazzmaster derivative, but I love it all the same
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

It actually reminds me of a Jaguar.

Are those two switches for the two pickups?

I think it's really cool.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I can’t find it but there was an old a Jaguar ad of some shady types measuring a Jaguar with the headline, “The world’s most copied guitar.” I guess this is what they were talking about.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
MattK

Post by MattK »

They are pickup switches, yeah. The square pole pickups are old Teisco stock as I understand it. The scale length is half way between Jag and JM, but no rhythm circuit of course. I'm gonna call it the first Jag-Stang and fight anyone who disagrees.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

taylornutt wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:31 pmAre those two switches for the two pickups?
Nah, they turn the lights on and off
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Doog wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:01 pm
taylornutt wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:31 pmAre those two switches for the two pickups?
Nah, one turns the lights on and off, no one knows what the other one does.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

It’s probably for the garbage disposal that got ripped out to make room for a Kahler in the early ‘80s. Or the rotating leopard print waterbed it had as standard.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
MattK

Post by MattK »

if you flip it, Tom Morello is temporarily unable to speak
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Good work, everybody; pizza party on me
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Be there in 20
► Show Spoiler