Hardluck Kings Spider(s)

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

mezzio13
GOODmin

Hardluck Kings Spider(s)

Post by mezzio13 »

So for gigging with my band Sons of Ghidorah, I've been using these Hardluck Kings Spiders. The dude seems kind of like a troll/asshat, but his clearance section was interesting to look at. He had this ugly olive green one, and the price was changing every day. One day $109, the next $169, up and down, finally it hit $99, and someone grabbed it. Turns out it was my wife, she was sick of me blabbing about it every day. I figured that for that price it was worth it for the wood at least. However when it came, I was quite surprised. They brag bout their fret work before their stuff leaves the shop, and they were not kidding. The guitar was surprisingly nice (like a decent Squier). I left it 100% stock. Pups are good, a shade hotter than a PAF, with no microphonics. Fit and finish were a solid B+ / A-. We tune to A# Std, and a little truss adjustment was required, but it's been stable since I made it. I was so happy, I was thinking about getting another one. That is when I saw the gold one get down to $139 I contemplated ordering it. Again it was already sold, and again my wife was the buyer. My only complaint is that they're heavy, like +/- 11 pounds. I've gigged with them for 6 years (green) and 5 years (gold). Personally, I don't care for a lot of what he's had lately, and the guy is a dick, but for what I wanted them for, and the overall (clearance) price, I cant complain a bit. Somehow, I also managed to be their artist of the month, twice, and am on their FB cover pic (but they plopped the letter N over my gorgeous face.
Attachments
Spider - Tendril.png
Spider - Tendril.png (623.48 KiB) Viewed 865 times
Spider - Mecha King Ghidorah.png
Spider - Mecha King Ghidorah.png (751.54 KiB) Viewed 865 times
HLK Cover.png
HLK Cover.png (710.1 KiB) Viewed 865 times
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Re: Hardluck Kings Spider(s)

Post by plopswagon »

I dig the look.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Love the raised "layer" thing going on in the centre block, esp on Goldilocks there; sick that you've got TWO courtesy of your lady wife too!
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

I do remember the guy being a total dickwad but those ARE decent looking guitars.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Yeah these are waaay more tasteful than I remember HLK guitars being. A beautiful pair!!
mezzio13
GOODmin

Post by mezzio13 »

Freddy V-C wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:46 pm Yeah these are waaay more tasteful than I remember HLK guitars being. A beautiful pair!!
HLK really does appeal to the Bloos Construction Worker, as opposed to the Bloos Lawyer set.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

:lol:
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

the gold looks awesome, nice job by kim!
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

D'OH
Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 09.37.08.png
Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 09.37.08.png (38.18 KiB) Viewed 750 times
Are these the guys that used to always have brass knuckles everywhere on their guitars? I can't see a single one now on the first page of the website, which is progress!

The whole vibe isn't really my thing, but beyond that, the guitars look great. I suppose that speaks to the extent to which the entire guitar industry is broadly identical products being marketed to different identities.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Just wondering Mez- did you find out if Kim went for the pro-setup option when she bought them? They offer that as an additional cost- wondering if that’s why they were so nice out of the box or if it’s just standard

Either way they both look great, I think I prefer the evolution of the shape on the gold one, although just the weight would keep me away from both of them.
mezzio13
GOODmin

Post by mezzio13 »

Nick wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:24 pm Just wondering Mez- did you find out if Kim went for the pro-setup option when she bought them? They offer that as an additional cost- wondering if that’s why they were so nice out of the box or if it’s just standard

Either way they both look great, I think I prefer the evolution of the shape on the gold one, although just the weight would keep me away from both of them.
When she ordered them, that was included in the price. I think his margins got tighter, and he started charging for it. He made a big to-do about it when he made the change. The frets ARE really nice though. The only guitar that I have had with better was that Am Deluxe Start I had like 10 years ago.