NGD: Gretsch 5655T

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

taylornutt

NGD: Gretsch 5655T

Post by taylornutt »

I have been a bit Gretsch-curious as of late and had been looking at Electromatic Jets (Les Paul style) Gretsch guitars and kinda exploring some of the other models.

The other day when I was playing the Squier XII Jazzmaster, I happened to notice this thin Hollowbody Gretsch guitar on the used rack. It was a Gretsch G5655T in Cadillac Green with Gold Hardware. (AKA Centerblock Jr.) It was cross between the Jet models and larger Gretsch models. The guitar is from the Electromatic line, semi-hollow, and 24.6" scale. I plugged it up and was just blown away how good it sounded and how comfortable it was to play.

This model comes with the B70 Bigsby and the pickups were upgraded to TV Jones pickups by the previous owner. It left quite an impression on me and when I got my bonus for teaching Summer School, I picked it up. I am really impressed with how it plays and sounds both acoustically and plugged in.

Normally, I play .11 gauge strings but I don't mint the .10s on this guitar. It reminds me of playing my Taylor acoustic but has U shaped neck.

I am really digging the pickups and just trying to experience a different type of guitar than I am used to.

I am selling my Classic Vibe Mustang to make room for this one. Enjoy the pics.

► Show Spoiler
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Re: NGD: Gretsch 5655T

Post by plopswagon »

Looks lovely. Hollow body Gretsches (is that the correct plural?) in that green with gold hardware is my favorite.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

plopswagon wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:17 am Looks lovely. Hollow body Gretsches (is that the correct plural?) in that green with gold hardware is my favorite.
The Toneshop strikes again. I really need to avoid going in there. :D
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I’m blessed that it’s local but yet so far away.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
MattK

Post by MattK »

* Gretschen
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Not usually a fan of gold hardware, but it definitely looks great in that build. Nice grab!
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

dots wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:18 pm Not usually a fan of gold hardware, but it definitely looks great in that build. Nice grab!
Thanks. It's quite a looker. The TV Jones pickups really add to the look.
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

Beautiful guitar. Love the green/gold. I also love having the lower bout master volume. I find it much more functional than a lot of master volume knobs myself. Great score.
taylornutt wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:11 am I have been a bit Gretsch-curious as of late and had been looking at Electromatic Jets (Les Paul style) Gretsch guitars and kinda exploring some of the other models.

The other day when I was playing the Squier XII Jazzmaster, I happened to notice this thin Hollowbody Gretsch guitar on the used rack. It was a Gretsch G5655T in Cadillac Green with Gold Hardware. (AKA Centerblock Jr.) It was cross between the Jet models and larger Gretsch models. The guitar is from the Electromatic line, semi-hollow, and 24.6" scale. I plugged it up and was just blown away how good it sounded and how comfortable it was to play.

This model comes with the B70 Bigsby and the pickups were upgraded to TV Jones pickups by the previous owner. It left quite an impression on me and when I got my bonus for teaching Summer School, I picked it up. I am really impressed with how it plays and sounds both acoustically and plugged in.

Normally, I play .11 gauge strings but I don't mint the .10s on this guitar. It reminds me of playing my Taylor acoustic but has U shaped neck.

I am really digging the pickups and just trying to experience a different type of guitar than I am used to.

I am selling my Classic Vibe Mustang to make room for this one. Enjoy the pics.

► Show Spoiler
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

mickie08 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:26 am Beautiful guitar. Love the green/gold. I also love having the lower bout master volume. I find it much more functional than a lot of master volume knobs myself. Great score.

Thanks.

I love my Fender Offsets but I enjoyed trying something new. I am looking forward to trying that Master Volume knob.

I love this Centerblock Junior body because its thin but has the hollowbody and being very comfortable to play. I need to put contact cleaner on the pots because they are a little scratchy.
plaidbeer

Post by plaidbeer »

That's a real beaut. Love the Cadillac green.