Strat wiring question

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

mickie08

Strat wiring question

Post by mickie08 »

Ok. So bought a 40th anniversary squier strat. I have a set of Seymour Duncan pickups. Mini JB, mini 59 and a duckbucker for the middle.

Want to wire each tone pot as push pull to tap neck and bridge pickup and wire tone know to turn on bridge pup no matter selector position.

Anyone know where I can get a diagram for that
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
Fakir Mustache

Re: Strat wiring question

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Of course no one answers because it's too vague and someone has to guess what you want.

If you want just master volume and tone, use the telecaster diagram for the volume and tone, and keep the strat selector switch. You can find various coil tap diagrams, for Les Paul or whatever, they're just switches on the pots.

Not that I'm sure that's what you want. You mention the other tone pot.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I rewired a couple of strats and immediately forgot how they are wired. I don't remember how a one pickup guitar with one volume and one tone pots wired without opening the backplate and looking at it.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Damn, Mickie wants a triple bucker strat with ALL the coil selection options.

I LIKE IT.

I just don't know how to do it. Maybe Mike or pens or NickS have some notion for how this can be achieved?

I bet Gun Street Wiring could do you up a harness to achieve those options if nothing else works out
MattK

Post by MattK »

When you say “all” does that include taps and isolated single coils? *Either* of the coils in each pickup?
I suspect you may end up with more wire in the circuit than in the pickups themselves.
NickS

Post by NickS »

mickie08 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:50 pmWant to wire each tone pot as push pull to tap neck and bridge pickup and wire tone know to turn on bridge pup no matter selector position.
So... how do you want the tone knob to work? Without active electronics I can't see a way to do it without unwanted side-effects.
Personal pronouns he/him
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

So. Forgot about this post.

What i was looking for was to have push pull pots to tap neck and bridge buckers as well as 3rd push pull to activate bridge pup at any time.

Almost there. Still needs a little setup.
Attachments
20230907_112919.jpg
20230907_112919.jpg (6.7 MiB) Viewed 791 times
NickS

Post by NickS »

mickie08 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:44 pm So. Forgot about this post.

What i was looking for was to have push pull pots to tap neck and bridge buckers as well as 3rd push pull to activate bridge pup at any time.

Almost there. Still needs a little setup.
Ah. What you said earlier was two push pull pots to tap neck and bridge buckers and a tone knob to select bridge pickup. One of those push-pulls has to be the volume pot.
Personal pronouns he/him
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

yep. Didn't explain it quite right. Did get it sorted out.

Starting a 90s band with some friends and wanted a bit more dirty/aggressive strat but with a lot of tonal options for that (will likely be using a fractal fm3 sound wise). Still have my custom strat and tele but wanted something less $$ and just more "rock" to take to bars.
Attachments
20230809_113351.jpg
20230809_113351.jpg (3.18 MiB) Viewed 774 times
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Hlysht, love it! (The guitars and the band idea)
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

So it's just standard toggle, standard volume/tone/tone, but with those push-pull pots that give all the options?

A bit awkward, but quite useful. Nice guitar.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

Fakir Mustache wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:11 am So it's just standard toggle, standard volume/tone/tone, but with those push-pull pots that give all the options?

A bit awkward, but quite useful. Nice guitar.
Thanks. It is a strange setup for sure. And I am not one who will likely be switching mid song much so thats easy. The pots are strange as they are not true push pull pots, more like spring loaded switches so you just tap them and they engage and tap them and they disengage.

Should be a fun guitar.
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

dots wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:20 pm Hlysht, love it! (The guitars and the band idea)

Thanks. This was a squier 40th anniversary model I got on clearance so its a fun and versatile guitar that looks cools and I can take and not worry about. I have been pretty skeptical on taking the customs ones out to bars much. They just are not replaceable bseeing how they were both built from wood from my grandpas barn.

Also, heading up to Eastman today to grab a new acoustic for drop tuning usage.