...so shortscale don't talk about Vintera II?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Pacafeliz

...so shortscale don't talk about Vintera II?

Post by Pacafeliz »

I mean, those BB&B Jags are tickling my fancy. Will probably throw myself into another divorce but man a tuxedo look Jag with maple neck and black blocks is a wet dream.

The orange competition Mustang too. Though the blue/ burgundyburst one looks dreamy too.

FML
my name is Pat.
rahbro

Re: ...so shortscale don't talk about Vintera II?

Post by rahbro »

Fender has priced itself out of the shortscale.org market. No ones got a grand laying around for any of this bullshit
plopswagon wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:55 am
I laid a pallet of sod yesterday
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Yeah that Jaguar. Of course if you took the list price from the 50’s and 60’s and adjusted them for inflation they’d probably be about the same, if not more.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I love the Competition Mustangs but not sure why they don't have matching headstocks. They did matching headstocks for Vintera I Jazzmasters so not sure why they didn't here.

I like that Fender did some Bass VI models as well. I don't hate the mapleboard Jags but its not my bag.

Both the Jazzmasters and Mustangs have Rosewood fingerboards so that is a nice upgrade from Laurel/Pao Ferro.

I do have to mention that all the Vintera II Mustang, Jaguar, and Jazzmaster colors are the same colors they did on the Squier CV versions at Chicago Music Exchange. There is nothing wrong with it, but it's interesting to see Vintera II coping the same color schemes.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Comp mustangs should have forearm contours. The stripe doesn’t really make sense otherwise.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Vintera series is made in Mexico, if I'm not mistaken, but costs as much or more than Gibson's made in the US Tribute series. And if you count the fact that SGs, Specials and Juniors of the "Standard" line all come with hard cases, they are not that much more expensive than Vintera series models. Those "standard" line Gibsons often have one piece bodies while Vintera series seem to have three piece bodies. I don't get it, unless they started paying good wages at their Mexican facility. The Noventa series was also made in Mexico and those guitars were all around $1k.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Nick wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:47 pm Comp mustangs should have forearm contours. The stripe doesn’t really make sense otherwise.
Do they not have the forearm contours? I can't tell definitively from the photos but compared to the Vintera 1 Mustang photos they seem to have the forearm contours.
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Someone on an offset Facebook group posted these and I swore it looked 100% slab to me when I first saw it, but now I can’t really tell. Nobody responded to my comment asking if it was slab.

I do know the Pawn Shop competition bass reissue some years ago was a slab, as was the Mikey Way bass I had. Think I’m trying not to get my hopes up.
Attachments
IMG_9720.png
IMG_9720.png (3.31 MiB) Viewed 2079 times
IMG_9721.png
IMG_9721.png (2.83 MiB) Viewed 2079 times
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

That second picture gives me a bit of hope.

The main reason I didn't buy either of the Squier CV Mustangs from CME was because they were slab bodies and the neck is too thin at the first fret.

The Ben Gibbard Mustang had the forearm contour so I am not sure why they couldn't do it here.

The body and forearm contours along with the stripes is what makes them cool. My local shop got some of the Vintera IIs but not the Mustang model.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Trying to recreate the angles best I can, but I think the FB post has contours.
► Show Spoiler
EDIT: bah, first one flipped. but i think it's helpful.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

The reflection on the forearm indicates it's curving. If it was slab, it wouldn't have that reflection at all.

If you watch the video, I think I see the forearm tapering as well.

Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

An entire range upgraded/revamped without a single lefty, and MIM for over a grand GBP, lol fuck you Fender.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Yeah I don’t know what I was thinking- it definitely looks contoured the more I see it, I was probably just looking for a reason not to want another guitar. :lol:
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

If I see any in the wild I will post some pics.

Mustang arm contours are not as dramatic as Jazzmaster or Jaguar.

My vintage parts mustang has a subtle arm contour.
rahbro

Post by rahbro »

Lololo MEGA STRIPE.
Screenshot_20230926_145501_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20230926_145501_Facebook.jpg (723.09 KiB) Viewed 1871 times
plopswagon wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:55 am
I laid a pallet of sod yesterday
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Yep. Thanks for that - I knew it was wrong comparing in separate photos, but seeing side by side directly makes it easier to explain....

I have no clue why it's so damn hard to get a stripe right. Fender Japan can do it:

taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Since these are Vintage inspired, I wonder if they are not allowed to make exact copies of the originals.

I don't mind the bigger stripe but it's definitely not vintage correct.

I don't understand why they did matching headstock colors on Vintera I Jazzmasters, but couldn't be bothered to do matching headstocks on Competition Mustangs when it's also one of it's signature features.

If the neck profiles on the Vintera II Mustangs are good, I really want one but it is annoying that they get so close to vintage correct but then leave off key features.
Pacafeliz

Post by Pacafeliz »

Well keep in mind it's called "70s Mustang "

IIRC the yellow one was only (?) made in 1969, and matching headstocks were phased out by 1971 or so. Same with the purpleburst effect - later blue ones were just blue.

So they're technically guitars that never existed, and they wouldn't and shouldn't call them reissues.

Maybe that's why they left out the red one! These did exist with non matching headstock.

Man it all makes sense now. I've seen the light! :shock:
my name is Pat.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

The color choices for these seem to be based on the Squier Classic Vibe Mustang FSRs that came out this year.

Of course, since they went back to rosewood, that might have not allowed for matching headstocks.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I got to play the Vintera II Jazzmaster and Jaguar.

The necks seemed less chunky compared to the Vintera I versions.

I liked the Jazzmaster and the pickups were decent. It just needed a little setup and replace the bridge with Mustang bridge.

The Jaguar was interesting. Maple fretboard on a Jaguar is definitely an acquired taste, but I liked the profile and playability of the neck. The pickups are ok but nothing to write home about. I even liked the 70's Mustang/Tele Deluxe tuners. My only cons on the Jaguar was the body was very heavy and the saddles on the bridge. Overall a solid Jaguar if you like vintage radius and more traditional features. I think I would have like the vintage white over the black but the black matches the black block inlays better.

ImageImage