Guitar Through Bass Amp

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

luke

Guitar Through Bass Amp

Post by luke »

Everyone I've spoken to about this seems retarded. They say if I put my guitar through a bass amp, bad things will happen. It'll blow up or something. I have the opportunity to bag a hybrid bass amp on the cheap and I don't want it to go to waste. I'll probably end up selling it for it's much higher value after fixing it or something, but is there really any harm in using it as a guitar amp?
NickD

Post by NickD »

I've done it, and it was ok, not a great tone though.

Bassman is originally a bass amp too.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

They're wrong.

The reverse at high volume can cause issue. Guitar through Bass amp is never a problem - you may find that the EQ is not positioned adequetly to have a large amount of control over your guitar sound, but that is the only "bad thing" that can happen.

Bass + Guitar Amp + Volume = badness however.
luke

Post by luke »

Mike wrote:They're wrong.

The reverse at high volume can cause issue. Guitar through Bass amp is never a problem - you may find that the EQ is not positioned adequetly to have a large amount of control over your guitar sound, but that is the only "bad thing" that can happen.

Bass + Guitar Amp + Volume = badness however.
What sort of shit should I expect?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Eh?

For guitar -> bass amp?

Nothing but a slightly unresponsible EQ.

Bass -> guitar amp?

Blown speakers at high dB levels.

Be more specific next time, I'm too old to guess what the fuck you're asking
NickD

Post by NickD »

Mike wrote:
Bah! You're just a young whippersnapper.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I'm too old for this shit.

Readers may replace the word "old" in Mike's posts with the adjective "drunk" at their discretion
luke

Post by luke »

Mike wrote:Eh?

For guitar -> bass amp?

Nothing but a slightly unresponsible EQ.

Bass -> guitar amp?

Blown speakers at high dB levels.

You said that the "reverse at high volume can cause issue" then when you said that a "bass + guitar amp + volume = badness", I thought you meant the same issue. But you said bass, not guitar. I misread.

Anyway, I'll get this amp fixed to see how it is. It's broken so I opened it up. It has one valve, which I guess is better than none, but if that one valve was gone would that make the whole thing dead? I'm a bit cautious of the whole electric shock risk to go touching crap. I'll need to refer to the draining capacitors thread I think...
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Just to reiterate, it's the speaker section of the combo/stack that is the weak link here- a bass guitar into a guitar head into a bass cab would work fine, it's what I did in my old band without any issues. Apart from the fact the EQ wasn't set up for bass guitar, as Mike said.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
luke

Post by luke »

Doog wrote:Just to reiterate, it's the speaker section of the combo/stack that is the weak link here- a bass guitar into a guitar head into a bass cab would work fine, it's what I did in my old band without any issues. Apart from the fact the EQ wasn't set up for bass guitar, as Mike said.
So would a guitar into a bass speaker have the same negative effect? It's a 150w combo amp that's got a whopping 1x15" speaker in it. That must affect tone?
Tex-czech

Post by Tex-czech »

Queens of the stoneage used ampeg bass amp and 6 string geetars.
sounds ok when you tune down and have dist.
-Joe
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

It'd have more low end than a 12" speaker, that's all.

Apart from what it actually sounds like, the only issue is using a speaker suitable for the low frequencies a bass will put out. I've used my Marshall head through a 15" a few times, it sounded rad.

Bass combos/cabs exist with 10 and 12" speakers too, it's just that speakers for use in bass amps/cabs are made with low end vibrations in mind.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Thanks for Clarifying Andy, I forgot to mention that the speakers would suffer
luke

Post by luke »

Doog wrote:It'd have more low end than a 12" speaker, that's all.

Apart from what it actually sounds like, the only issue is using a speaker suitable for the low frequencies a bass will put out. I've used my Marshall head through a 15" a few times, it sounded rad.

Bass combos/cabs exist with 10 and 12" speakers too, it's just that speakers for use in bass amps/cabs are made with low end vibrations in mind.
Nice. Well the guy who owns it only got it because he asked Daddy to get him an amp and he ended up with a bass amp, and he's a non believer and didn't want his Les Paul to blow up. His band's bassist started using it but somehow made it stop working. He said if I give him some cash I can have it because it's wasting space in his garage, so it sounds like a plan to me. I don't know if one valve can get me a nicer tone, but it's going to be something to work with I guess.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Go for it. I actually like playing guitar through bass amps, they tend to have far more flexble EQs onboard, you can dial in some bitchin' tonez.
luke

Post by luke »

Doog wrote:Go for it. I actually like playing guitar through bass amps, they tend to have far more flexble EQs onboard, you can dial in some bitchin' tonez.
Yeah, I never really got why bass amps all come with a 9 band EQ and guitar amps have just the three knobs. Slider pots are easier, you can literally shape your tone without having to look at numbers. I imagine it'll be fun to play with the low frequency settings and stuff though for a guitar.

Another question answered by the ShortScale team. We're quite diverse for a bunch of 24 inchers aren't we?
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I'm a 25.5" and as such consider myself LARGE
luke

Post by luke »

Mike wrote:I'm a 25.5" and as such consider myself LARGE
Don't make me get my 28" bass out.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

What is this hybrid amp anyway?

I have to say that no hybrid bass amps spring to mind. SS technology is pretty well repected down the frequency dial.
luke

Post by luke »

Mike wrote:What is this hybrid amp anyway?

I have to say that no hybrid bass amps spring to mind. SS technology is pretty well repected down the frequency dial.

It's a Marshall B150.
I'm not entirely sure if hybrid is the correct term, but it's got a solid state circuit with one valve in it that can be blended in or something.