'99 Stratocaster pickup query

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

NickS

'99 Stratocaster pickup query

Post by NickS »

Do these look right for a '99 USA Stratocaster?
► Show Spoiler
Personal pronouns he/him
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Re: '99 Stratocaster pickup query

Post by Nick »

I’m not an expert but pretty sure only MIM standard and lower were using bar magnets on single coils. Doesn’t look right to me on a 99.

Edit: way back machine confirmed a USA standard strat back then would have “delta tone” system pickups, which were just Alnico 5’s
Attachments
IMG_0071.png
IMG_0071.png (538.19 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

The controls also look sus.
NickD

Post by NickD »

As Nick says, the controls don’t look right too. TBH it looks like someone’s transferred the electrics from an import/copy.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

How many Nicks does it take to spot a fake loaded pickguard?
NickS

Post by NickS »

I also think the last figure of the date looks dodgy.
Personal pronouns he/him
NickS

Post by NickS »

Looks like it's disappeared from eBay.
Personal pronouns he/him
NickS

Post by NickS »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145371276636
Best offer accepted at 20:30 BST. I hope the buyer knew what they were getting.
Personal pronouns he/him
MattK

Post by MattK »

yeah that is some no-name off-brand bullshit there! The nerve.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Bridge is also clearly not Fender. Yikes.

Neck looks legit at least?
MattK

Post by MattK »

The hole routed in the body under the pickguard indicates Mexican made. Neck looks legit if the decal is real, but there is something odd about the gold in the logo that makes me wonder.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Might be an American Traditional neck with an MIM or Squier body, but it does have the US-specific microtilt route in the neck pocket. With prices these days it might not actually be that much of a rip-off.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Not that it matters too much now that it's sold, but if you believe the site below (which personally I am inclined to do based on various other forum posts I found), this guitar is a bit of an oddball that was only sold for a couple years. Pieced together from MIM and "Eastern" parts...assuming Korean as I don't think Squier had quite yet moved to other countries. Only called "American" because it was assembled in the US, for export only. That's why it doesn't show up in US catalogs of the time.

http://www.fuzzfaced.net/american-trad ... aster.html
MattK

Post by MattK »

Wow. That must be rock bottom for USA Strats. Fascinating how bad the late 90s were for Fender.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

MattK wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:39 pm Wow. That must be rock bottom for USA Strats. Fascinating how bad the late 90s were for Fender.

mostly agree with this. the story of imported hardware getting assembled in the US checks out with my experience as the black, mid 90s mexican strat i have (maple neck) looks very similar. the pickguard has aged the same, and the logo/decal styling on the headstock line up as well. the paint job in the gut shots also looks a lot like mine.

a couple of things (before dillon's link) lead me to believe i shouldn't judge the strat buy its pickup covers either. the wiring/soldering work is pristine, like factory clean despite the guitar itself being anything but. judging by the beer stains on the underside of the guard, someone would had to have changed out the electronics early on in the guitar's life, and likely by swapping the entire wiring harness. i can't compare the electronics with mine since i did swap them (also early in its life) with EMG pickups, pots, and switching; the original parts are long gone.

the wear is what tells me regardless of its lineage and the choices made in hardware, someone(s) played the hell out of this thing for a while. it's also been abused which makes me think it ended up in a younger player's hands at some point who needed to be punk rock and go a bit crazy on it. despite all that (or any other stories i can pull from my ass), i bet it actually sounds pretty good.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Not really connected to this, but there was a batch of made in Korea Fender Strats at some time. I remember some Fender owners having a conniption because of it, after having spent a small fortune on a Fender there were Korean Fenders circling around. But those had a Made in Korea inscription on the headstock
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Dillon wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:01 pm Not that it matters too much now that it's sold, but if you believe the site below (which personally I am inclined to do based on various other forum posts I found), this guitar is a bit of an oddball that was only sold for a couple years. Pieced together from MIM and "Eastern" parts...assuming Korean as I don't think Squier had quite yet moved to other countries. Only called "American" because it was assembled in the US, for export only. That's why it doesn't show up in US catalogs of the time.

http://www.fuzzfaced.net/american-tradi ... aster.html
Fascinating trawling through the murky dealings and sharp practice of Fender in that era.
Personal pronouns he/him