First song recorded with our current band

Plug your music, photography, graphics, shows of any kind or other creative works.

Moderated By: mods

Thom
lamp

First song recorded with our current band

Post by Thom »

NickS

Re: First song recorded with our current band

Post by NickS »

Listening to it on the tablet I enjoyed it but couldn't hear any bass. I'll listen to it again on a decent system.
Personal pronouns he/him
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Cheers Nick, glad you enjoyed it! Hopefully the bass will come through on different speakers…we weren’t going for an “…and justice for all” vibe :lol: Thanks for listening :)
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Checking it out when I'm at my desk tomorrow 8)
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Similar to Nick, I started listening on my phone but quickly decided that it sounded like something that merits a proper listen, and bailed out. Sounded really cool! (or at least the first twenty seconds did, dunno if it goes to shit after that....)

I'll get the proper system cranked this evening and do it a bit of justice....
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Haha Cheers mate
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

Giving it a listen now. Sounds. Id bump the bass just a tad (not a ton) but could be my speakers as they are not that great.

Cool song, cool voice. Good mix of guitar work. Sounds funny but my wife is a dance teacher and loves doing modern/lyrical dances to this type music and the dynamics of it are the type of stuff she always looks for. Gonna shoot a link over to her.

Well done.
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

mickie08 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:19 am Giving it a listen now. Sounds. Id bump the bass just a tad (not a ton) but could be my speakers as they are not that great.

Cool song, cool voice. Good mix of guitar work. Sounds funny but my wife is a dance teacher and loves doing modern/lyrical dances to this type music and the dynamics of it are the type of stuff she always looks for. Gonna shoot a link over to her.

Well done.
Thanks Mickie! Really appreciate the feedback. First time recording/mixing myself so a big learning curve and all opinions very helpful! Let me know what your wife thinks :)
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

yes! forgot to come back to this thread... love the vocalist's styling and the shifting melody in the bridge. i think you did a great job mixing, especially if you're saying it's your first go. great stuff!
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Lovely song, Thom. Very 'Hail To The Thief'-era Radiohead vibes, and there's even a Deftones song it reminds me of (driving me insane that I can't remember what song it is).

Amazing job on the production for your first go, the recording is kind of unbelievably clean!? Nice one.

One thing you could try is some parallel compression of the drums and the bass. This should mesh them together a little more, and it might mean you can push them both a bit harder, too. I'd be tempted to nudge the vocals down slightly (possibly not even adjusting the volume, maybe just pulling out some mids so they don't poke out so much), and you could try making the guitars kind of "wider", either by double-tracking and panning them left and right, or using multiple mics panned left and right, OR using some kind of stereo width effect.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Just realised it wasn't a Deftones song, it was 'In The Fade' by QOTSA. D'oh!
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

My future plan is that I submit a track so poorly mixed that Freddy starts to write out how to fix it but say’s instead, “just send it over, and I’ll do it, sheesh!”
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I would never!
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

dots wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:05 pm yes! forgot to come back to this thread... love the vocalist's styling and the shifting melody in the bridge. i think you did a great job mixing, especially if you're saying it's your first go. great stuff!
Thanks dots!
Freddy V-C wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:34 pm Lovely song, Thom. Very 'Hail To The Thief'-era Radiohead vibes, and there's even a Deftones song it reminds me of (driving me insane that I can't remember what song it is).

Amazing job on the production for your first go, the recording is kind of unbelievably clean!? Nice one.

One thing you could try is some parallel compression of the drums and the bass. This should mesh them together a little more, and it might mean you can push them both a bit harder, too. I'd be tempted to nudge the vocals down slightly (possibly not even adjusting the volume, maybe just pulling out some mids so they don't poke out so much), and you could try making the guitars kind of "wider", either by double-tracking and panning them left and right, or using multiple mics panned left and right, OR using some kind of stereo width effect.
Cheers Freddy - that's really great advice, I'll certainly try those things. We just started recording our second track, but will come back to this one later. I'm really pleased with how it came out, both considering it's my first go and how we recorded it. It was all done at my house in my "office", i.e. one end of our bedroom :D Well, actually our drummer has a nice electronic kit, so he did the drum tracks on that at his house.
Guitar was pedalboard -> NUX Solid Studio Amp/IR/Mic pedal -> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 -> Ableton, Bass was just DI'd and Vocals just a condenser into the Focusrite.

Thanks everyone for your comments!
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

plopswagon wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:25 pm My future plan is that I submit a track so poorly mixed that Freddy starts to write out how to fix it but say’s instead, “just send it over, and I’ll do it, sheesh!”
:lol:
NickS

Post by NickS »

I tried listening on my laptop which has half-decent speakers.. still couldn't hear the bass but this morning I hooked up the laptop to the stereo and played it through some big old Kef Calinda speakers
Kef_Calinda.jpg
Kef_Calinda.jpg (102 KiB) Viewed 595 times
- yep, can hear the bass now!
I do think the bass should come up a bit.
Personal pronouns he/him
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Thom wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:33 pm Cheers Freddy - that's really great advice, I'll certainly try those things. We just started recording our second track, but will come back to this one later. I'm really pleased with how it came out, both considering it's my first go and how we recorded it. It was all done at my house in my "office", i.e. one end of our bedroom :D Well, actually our drummer has a nice electronic kit, so he did the drum tracks on that at his house.
Guitar was pedalboard -> NUX Solid Studio Amp/IR/Mic pedal -> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 -> Ableton, Bass was just DI'd and Vocals just a condenser into the Focusrite.

Yeah, to be clear, I am really impressed with the sound of it!
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

NickS wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:27 am - yep, can hear the bass now!
I do think the bass should come up a bit.
Thanks for persevering Nick! Nice speaker!
Freddy V-C wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:06 pmYeah, to be clear, I am really impressed with the sound of it!
Cheers Freddy!
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Finally listened to this. It is excellent.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Thanks mate! Glad you like it.