Interesting Duo-Sonic Pickups

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Fakir Mustache

Interesting Duo-Sonic Pickups

Post by Fakir Mustache »

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004 ... 1RO%210%21

Sucks you can't buy just one, but a set is cheaper than a single Duncan. It's around $50 if the link won't come up in your local currency.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
MattK

Re: Interesting Duo-Sonic Pickups

Post by MattK »

I bought some exactly the same with the intention of putting them in my MIJ Mustang but I haven't got around to it yet ...
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Ok, bought them. I'll let you guys know about them in about a month, or whenever I decide to install them after that.

They were only 38 US bucks and something like 63 cents. Free shipping.

I have been looking for the Duncan Antiquities bridge for about a year. Mainly I couldn't find it anywhere. I did find one place, and it was 175 Euros.

Plus the occasional Seymour Duncan defects, one review on youtube had a pickup with a dead polepiece.

I hope the ones I got instead are good. I'll probably try both pickups in the bridge position and pick which one I like best. Keep the other one for a strat build.
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Nice, we'll wait!

Because of how long the typical delivery from Aliexpress takes I sometimes forget I ordered something and don't feel excited about the thing, but I hope the pickups will live up to the expectation. Pickup makers on Aliexpress seem to have significantly improved their game. Their premium strat and tele pickups look just like big name boutique pickups from the cloth wrapped around the coils to the wires. Reviews under the listing are usually positive, too.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

sunshiner wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:10 pm Nice, we'll wait!

Because of how long the typical delivery from Aliexpress takes I sometimes forget I ordered something and don't feel excited about the thing, but I hope the pickups will live up to the expectation. Pickup makers on Aliexpress seem to have significantly improved their game. Their premium strat and tele pickups look just like big name boutique pickups from the cloth wrapped around the coils to the wires. Reviews under the listing are usually positive, too.
Actually they seem to be getting faster, the thing on their site said March 4 or something, and I've gotten stuff in two weeks, before it was a month. And it takes several days at least to dispatch it to the local post office from the main international one.

One time I ordered a bridge or something, and the customs from your country must have been playing with the package and their x-ray machines for more than a week. That's what the tracking was saying. May even have been there 2 weeks, I don't remember.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

The pickups haven't come yet, but I ordered some parts from two different aliexpress dealers a week later, then two days later from two other dealers.

Everything came in one single package, and it didn't come by mail, but a local courier firm delivered it to me today.
alix.png
alix.png (380.9 KiB) Viewed 189 times
alip.png
alip.png (940.32 KiB) Viewed 189 times
alipb.png
alipb.png (680.58 KiB) Viewed 189 times
The lipstick pickup unfortunately does not fit the pickguard, I should have checked the measurements before ordering. I have a 90s Danelectro pickup as well, so I guess I could use it for some project sometime in the far future.

The pickguard looks really nice, The pattern is painted on, except for the white stuff, which looks like it's just the pickguard's with no paint over it. I don't know how long it would last under heavy use. The holes are not cut into the shielding, but that's not a big deal.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

O.k., got them. Came with the courier again, would have preferred to the post office, but whatever.

Fancy packaging.
waaah1.png
waaah1.png (810.63 KiB) Viewed 143 times
waaah2.png
waaah2.png (747.71 KiB) Viewed 143 times
waaah3.png
waaah3.png (888.6 KiB) Viewed 143 times
Measured 6.15K and 6.38K ohms.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Nice pickguard and the pups look the part with flat pole pieces and fibery bobbins.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.