Tiny Terror

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

mickie08

Tiny Terror

Post by mickie08 »

The Orange tiny terror arrived today, along with an Avatar 2x12 with 2 Eminence speakers. So far I am very impressed. I am having band practice tonight (if my wife does not go into labor) and will update with review, pics, and maybe sound clips.
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

YES.

I was bonering over one of these earlier. WE NEED SONDZ.
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

I'll see if I can get some tonight, but no promises with the kid on the way any day.....

Having played it, it is pretty cool....Plenty of power to gig with at stage volume and although there is only volume, tone, and gain, they are fairly responsive and give it a good sound at both low gain and higher gain.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Sloan wrote:YES.

I was bonering over one of these earlier. WE NEED SONDZ.
You weren't the only one. I'm just debating over what cab to match it with at the moment.
euan
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

I recommend avatar cabs if you are in the US www.avatarspeakers.com I think. They even have orange tolex 2x12 for like 288 plus tax shipped to your house with celestion v30s.
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

Ah wow, nice! I remember a thread about these a while ago (jcyphe?), look forward to the samples!
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

demooooooo &pictars plz !

:wink:

also: i was looking at the orange site, does it have a line out ?
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

no line out....No frills... just great tone.
control are 15-t watt switch, volume, tone, gain...
8 or 16 ohms out...

Also, check this out...When I went to pick up the head, some guy had just brought in a Avatar cabinet that he thought he had blown the speakers on. He traded it in on a new cabinet and the guy sold it to me for 100... (all it needed was re-wiring.....) Avatar 2x12 cabinet with 2 12" eminence speaker for 150 including nto only getting the wiring fixed, but upgraded with all new, higher quality wiring....
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

heavium wrote:demooooooo &pictars plz !

Why do you like line out's so much?
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Excellent, look forward to your review after your practice.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

Mike wrote:
heavium wrote:demooooooo &pictars plz !

Why do you like line out's so much?

i don't, the people around me

it's nice to be able to record late at night when you feel like it, you can always do another recording with a mic later on and double it
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Why not buy some kind of DI amp sim like a POD, Behringer's POD copy or a a Sansamp or summat? It'll sound a helluva lot better than a line out from any amp.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

because i want to have both,
i have an m-audio interface i can use to plug directly into my computer and record direct so i can still record at night right now, but it's not the same
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

mickie08 wrote:I recommend avatar cabs if you are in the US www.avatarspeakers.com I think. They even have orange tolex 2x12 for like 288 plus tax shipped to your house with celestion v30s.
I've known about Avatar for a while, but sadly I'm UK based. It's a shame really cos we don't really have affordable cab makers. There are some boutique makers but nothing at Marshall prices but better build/components.

I was looking at one of the Vox 2x12 that go with the new AC30s as a cheap but should sound ok option.
euan
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

heavium wrote:because i want to have both,
i have an m-audio interface i can use to plug directly into my computer and record direct so i can still record at night right now, but it's not the same
A DI from an amp will be worse.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

the 'recording compensated' line out on my marshall jcm 900 sounds ass. i'd take an m-audio DI over it any day, i've used that m-box setup as my brother and a bandmate each have one. if you want to get a dual DI and amp sound, i'd mic up your amp and do an m-audio DI as well. you could tailor the sound more to your liking later, albeit digitally. but it'll work for the most part and on a budget.
Last edited by paul_ on Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

Mike wrote:
heavium wrote:because i want to have both,
A DI from an amp will be worse.
werdz.
unless it's one of those amp sim line outs. i actually had decent results from one of those beringher amps believe it or not with these guys (it's all line out): http:/www.myspace.com/hollowjune
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

euan wrote:
mickie08 wrote:I recommend avatar cabs if you are in the US www.avatarspeakers.com I think. They even have orange tolex 2x12 for like 288 plus tax shipped to your house with celestion v30s.
I've known about Avatar for a while, but sadly I'm UK based. It's a shame really cos we don't really have affordable cab makers. There are some boutique makers but nothing at Marshall prices but better build/components.

I was looking at one of the Vox 2x12 that go with the new AC30s as a cheap but should sound ok option.
You can get Avatar cabs in europe from http://www.gear4music.nl/
It was posted the other day - can't remember who did.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

yeah, you guys are prolly right about the whole line out thing, it's shit with most amps, unless they're really 'built for it'

the guitars and bass on "we have no news for you" was recorded thru the m-audio + a big muff and some garageband fx, same for "sticker" so it does the job for a nice price

post that damn demo mickie, i'm curious !
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

Well no demo tonight as our recording stuff was not set up. I will give a review of it's performance though... For comparison, my normal rig is
Talyor t-5 or US tele with bucker in neck > Boss tu2 > voodoolab sparkle drive > Tube Screamer > MXR Wylde overdrive > EH clone chorus > 73 super reverb

For tonight I played just the guitars into the Orange through the eminence loaded avatar cab.

I played everything from the acoustic sound of the Taylor (messing around singing an Edwin McCain song), to blues rock, and alt rock type stuff. It sounded great for about anything with just a flip of the gain or volume knob. This is not a metal amp, and probably not for thise who want monsters of clean headroom, but it does the clean with just a little color extremely well. It can also get up and have some bite. (i.e I was playing the main riff from STP's Dead and Bloated on it with the tele and it sounded huge) It is everybit as loud as I ever turn my super up to with the volume maxed, and then the gain dialed in accordingly.....

gain on 2, volume 10 = great clean tone with a little color
gain 4-5, volume 8 or so = was more blues break up
gain 7-8, volume 5-6 = STP riffage

I was seriously impresses, particularly after picking it up. It is about the size of a shoe box. It even comes with a gig bag that can hold your speaker cable and the power cable.. Anyways, when I saw how small it was, etc....I was not not sure how full it would sound and loud it would be. I tried it out through a 70's marshall 4x12 with original celestions and it was just phenomenal....

If you want a great sounding amp, that is reasonably priced (for what it is) and that is both portable, and great for home/studio stuff....Pick it up...

If you are a tone snob and want a reasonable back up for your 2000 tube head...Buy it....

If you have some cash lying around and not sure what to do with it....Buy me another one.....

Not sure who is all in So Cal, but I may hook up with DOTS and try to see what this whole Al's BBQ is about...If I end up doing that, I will bring it down for anyone to check out....