Vox Brian May Special (VBM1)

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Vox Brian May Special (VBM1)

Post by Bacchus »

I likes the looks of this wee amp. Basically, it's a copy of 'Deacy' the solid state amp that Queen's Bassist made for Brian May back in't day. It also has the treble booster yoke built into it, and can be used as a booster to drive another amp. It is in this capacity that I could envision myself using it most.

Unfortunately, it seems to have been discontinued. Does anyone know for sure if this is the case, or does anyone know anywhere that they can be got at?

Here's a link to a review. Vox have another Brian May amp (a special edition AC-30, I think), but this is the one I'm after:

Voila
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

ebay?
LimpDickCheney

Post by LimpDickCheney »

I have one... they are discontinued.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

LimpDickCheney wrote:I have one... they are discontinued.
Bollocks. That's what I thought. Is it any good?
paul_

Post by paul_ »

i have an audio review on cd that came with a guitar magazine. it sounded ok but i'm sure you could get those tones out of any little amp and a good multitracking recording deck (the demos were mostly cascaded harmony guitar solos, of course). it mostly just sounded like a bright, midrange-heavy little solidstate practice amp, cause that's what it is. we'll have to wait for LDC to give a proper review because when i went to try one out for real they didn't have any and i ended up playing on a vox pathfinder 15r (not bad and similarly priced, if you've really got teh voxdt...)

it's not based exactly on the Deacy, it has volume and tone controls and it'll work on it's own and without the preamps and things brian may had to use to get the real Deacy audible as it was like, less than half a watt.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I like the idea of having a good treble booster that will double as a practice amp though, and for fairly cheap too. I reckon it would sound nice sitting beside my valve junior.