fiberglass jazzmaster project

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

does this sound like a cool idea

no
35%
yes
65%

Total votes: 17
marc.yo

fiberglass jazzmaster project

Post by marc.yo »

danglybanger (Slade or "Dan") is making this for me and I'm pretty pumped. I'm using the neck off of my Squeir strat as I like it a lot and I think it's a goodneck in general. Here are the specs that have been decided upon and others that are raather variables more than anything.

|Seafoam Green w/ matching headstock|
|Gold Anodized pickgaurd|-----------
------------------------------
|
These are variables

-maple board with maple neck off of myh Squier
-I haven't decided on pickups quite yet. Maybe some wide range humbuckers or something cool like that
-Fiberglass body
-Pine center block (to cut some of the highs and stop feedback)
-Semi-hollow body construction

This was first meant as a tribute to Jack White but it's evolved since then - We're using different construction techniques (totally hollow with a center block). It turns out that Jack White "Jetson" model. and all of the res-o-glass guitars made by Valco were made like park benches. Interesting, huh? Anyway that's enough of me rambling here's a picture:

Does this sound like a cool idea? Your opinions won't particularly sway my decision in the end; I just felt like changing this into a question. :D
Billy3000

Post by Billy3000 »

I like that design and pickups and everything, but I just don't like the fiiberglass idea personally.
ElCapitan

Post by ElCapitan »

A rosewood fingerboard would look tons better than maple. Interesting design though.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

no ways. maple rules.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
marc.yo

Post by marc.yo »

ElCapitan wrote:A rosewood fingerboard would look tons better than maple. Interesting design though.
I agree but I don't want to buy a whole new neck. I kind of designed the whole guitar around the maple fingerboard. Besides rosewood fretboards, the way I want them (blocked and bound) cost a lot. Unless I buy used. In my mind it's just an extra expense....
barclay rocket (es-335) in tobacco burst or "big red" - a teisco wg-4l in bright orange (don't ask me)-> mesa boogie nomad 100 -> jcm 900 1960A lead 4x12 cab with stock celestion gh12-75's

soon: a NYC RI muff fuzz
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

I think it's a really cool idea. It would be interesting to listen to difference between that and a wood jazzy.
deadonkey
Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Post by deadonkey »

that's the first jazzy i've ever found attractive

and if fibreglass is good enough for jack white it's good enough for me, because his tone is fantastic.
everything is not going to be alright
marc.yo

Post by marc.yo »

Thanks for the compliments
Aug wrote:I think it's a really cool idea. It would be interesting to listen to difference between that and a wood jazzy.

It should be interesting. Fiberglass is supposed to be super bright and super resonant. At least as a semi-hollow body.
barclay rocket (es-335) in tobacco burst or "big red" - a teisco wg-4l in bright orange (don't ask me)-> mesa boogie nomad 100 -> jcm 900 1960A lead 4x12 cab with stock celestion gh12-75's

DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

How does it work with glass? Once one is made can you make more from the mold, or no? I guess it's not that simple.
Yell Like Hell
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

Sweet looking!

but doesn't fiberglass belong on bass boats?
marc.yo

Post by marc.yo »

More Cowbell wrote:Sweet looking!

but doesn't fiberglass belong on bass boats?
:lol:

marc.yo

Post by marc.yo »

DGNR8 wrote:How does it work with glass? Once one is made can you make more from the mold, or no? I guess it's not that simple.
I'm not sure. I assume Danglybanger will chime in sometime

Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

awesome idea! its one thats been floating around in my head for ages actually. i want to make guitars out of anything other than wood. but i have no idea how i would get other materials to work.

keep us updated.
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

Hurb wrote:awesome idea! its one thats been floating around in my head for ages actually. i want to make guitars out of anything other than wood. but i have no idea how i would get other materials to work.

keep us updated.
My sentiments exactly. :D
luke

Post by luke »

Hurb wrote:awesome idea! its one thats been floating around in my head for ages actually. i want to make guitars out of anything other than wood. but i have no idea how i would get other materials to work.

keep us updated.
I know what you mean. I have a composite hockey stick (not icey hockey, I mean normal astro turf hockey) which would make an AWESOME guitar neck. It's made of woven fibreglass, kevlar and carbon, with two parallel hollow channels running through it. Amazing construction, it yields almost identical properties to wood, except it's lighter, a lot more rigid and if you imagine it on a music instrument, it's probably going to sound weird as it has the hollow bits in it.

Unfortunately every time I consider making a guitar not out of wood, I realise it's for the wrong reasons. Wood's pretty crappy if you think about it, it's too unique to create a technically specific instrument. Wood has plenty of weaknesses and flaws, mainly in the fact it's quite weak...

...But then you realise that's the mentality of a metal guitarist with their robotic electronics and technical bridges and active pickups. Euck.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Icey will be upset you aren't using rosewoodd or mapple.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
luke

Post by luke »

ekwatts wrote:Icey will be upset you aren't using rosewoodd or mapple.
I am interested to hear the official Icey standing in regards of using fibreglass. I mean, he has problems with tonewoods with bad tone, so a tonewood without any wood might totally freak him out.
marc.yo

Post by marc.yo »

I'm pretty sure (you can ask him about it, or he'll chime in) he's going to make a mold and it's just going to be a fiberglass frame with a pine middle block. Here's some more choices:
daphne with white

daphne with tort - tied with Aztec and coral

pink with MOP - there's no way

pink with tort - a lot better than MOP

Aztec Gold with tort - tied with daphne/tort and coral

Coral with tort - tied with aztec and daphne
for some reason I just like tort guards :D

The only gold anodized pickgaurds I can find are painstakingly expensive. I'll keep looking.

Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

When they're good ones, tort guards rule.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
ElCapitan

Post by ElCapitan »

Daphne w/ tort would look good. What happened to the Jazzmaster Pickups?